GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

I did a massive stupid.

Go down 
+3
Pete Roper
beetle
Lansa
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lansa
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Lansa

I did a massive stupid. Empty
PostSubject: I did a massive stupid.   I did a massive stupid. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:22 am

I can't believe I've been so stupid.

I was manually turning over my 1100 by the crank bolt to adjust valves.

Put it all together and started the engine...
Bloody forgot the ratchet on the crankshaft!

I heard a loud bang as I saw the ratchet on the floor, the socket in pieces...

The engine sounded like it was only on one cilinder..
Got a red oil like and a big SERVICE! On my dash.

Dcb07 was in memory...

I felt the valves, checked the pulley..
Everything feels normal.

Decided to start the engine and it runs fine.

I am scared shitless that i broke something vital
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: I did a massive stupid.   I did a massive stupid. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:46 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Clancy likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: I did a massive stupid.   I did a massive stupid. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:08 am

Back in the day I did exactly the same thing. Bursting the socket just sez you have a shitty tool kit! Laughing

Make sure that the whack hasn't loosened the nut, (I did!) if it's loose, tighten it up till you fart!

If you'd just serviced the bike and hadn't pre-filled the oil filter the 'Service' warning is likely related to that.

The fact that it now sounds fine means that the greatest LIKELYHOOD is you've taken a bit of paint off the frame, may have a loose crank pulley nut and need a better toolkit.

beetle, Bill Hagan, JohnA, lcjohnny and Lansa like this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: I did a massive stupid.   I did a massive stupid. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:24 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Back in the day I did exactly the same thing. Bursting the socket just sez you have a shitty tool kit! Laughing

Make sure that the whack hasn't loosened the nut, (I did!) if it's loose, tighten it up till you fart!

If you'd just serviced the bike and hadn't pre-filled the oil filter the 'Service' warning is likely related to that.

The fact that it now sounds fine means that the greatest LIKELYHOOD is you've taken a bit of paint off the frame, may have a loose crank pulley nut and need a better toolkit.

Isn't the moral of that terrible tale, Pete -- which might well have happened to me   Embarassed -- that low-quality tools might be better (in such limited cases!) than top-shelf ones?  Wink

Bill
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: I did a massive stupid.   I did a massive stupid. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:27 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
Isn't the moral of that terrible tale, Pete -- which might well have happened to me   Embarassed -- that low-quality tools might be better (in such limited cases!) than top-shelf ones?  Wink Bill

I think the moral of tale is that you have both used up the one of your nine lives to do with high velocity projectiles affraid
Back to top Go down
pjm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
pjm

PostSubject: Re: I did a massive stupid.   I did a massive stupid. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:42 am

I did the same thing on my laverda many moons ago,It put a dent in the roof of the garage and could have caused me serious damage if i was on that side of the bike.Never did that again,Lucky(stupid) or what
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: I did a massive stupid.   I did a massive stupid. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:59 pm

did it on my lemans once, luckily the starter was marginal at the best of times and barely managed to throw the ratchet across the garage

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I did a massive stupid.   I did a massive stupid. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

I did a massive stupid.
Page 1 of 1