GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Passenger pegs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

Passenger pegs Empty
PostSubject: Passenger pegs   Passenger pegs Icon_minitime1Sun May 07, 2023 6:17 am

I thought I'd see if I can refurbish my pillion pegs. They rattle about, and no longer stay up when folded.

I thought it would be easy enough, but those pivot pins have been in there, quietly corroding for 15 years. The circlip comes off easy, but that pin ain't moving, and I don't want to hit it too hard and burr it over.

Do I need heat?
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Passenger pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs   Passenger pegs Icon_minitime1Sun May 07, 2023 8:42 am

Yes, but go gently. Apply a bit of penetrating oil on the pins and heat with something pretty tame. Often a hair dryer is enough, or an electric heat gun. Just get it hot enough so as to be uncomfortable to bare skin.

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny and Trogladyte like this post

Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

Passenger pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs   Passenger pegs Icon_minitime1Mon May 08, 2023 6:36 am

I'm beginning to think I might have to drill it. But that may betray a lack of patience. I warmed it up and encouraged it with a hammer and a punch. It's not moving. So I've soaked it in penetrating oil again, and will rinse and repeat tomorrow.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Passenger pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs   Passenger pegs Icon_minitime1Mon May 08, 2023 8:05 am

If you have an IR thermometer heat the bracket it until the alloy is at least above 200⁰c. It may take a long time as the heat will flow away to the bracket.
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

Passenger pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs   Passenger pegs Icon_minitime1Mon May 08, 2023 9:00 am

lcjohnny wrote:
If you have an IR thermometer heat the bracket it until the alloy is at least above 200⁰c. It may take a long time as the heat will flow away to the bracket.
OK. That's interesting. I have got an IR thermometer (used mostly for checking track temperature when racing with No 2 Son) but didn't use it today. But can confidently say I didn't get anywhere near that temperature. Will that take the paint off?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Passenger pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs   Passenger pegs Icon_minitime1Mon May 08, 2023 9:02 am

If it does, Hammerite Smoothrite silk finish looks good

Trogladyte likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Passenger pegs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs   Passenger pegs Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Passenger pegs
Page 1 of 1