GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

8v non starter

Go down 
+2
JohnA
Trogladyte
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:52 am

I'm baffled. I've been using my 08 8v a lot recently, and suddenly it's a non starter. The first issue is the neutral switch. It's not working, and access is ..challenging. But it should start with clutch switch activated shouldn't it ? My clutch switch is also problematic - it doesn't operate bue to wear in lever pivot, but when I operate manually, it still doesn't respond to starter

I'm baffled, and don't know where to start
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:06 am

I’ve removed the orange and blue valve on mine so reaching in to the switch was a little better. Someone here suggested trying to give the connector a squeeze. I bought some long needle nose pliers and was able to wiggle it back on better and squeeze it. It’s been fine for probably 2 years now. So I didn’t have to take a bunch of stuff apart like the air box. Oh, and I went in from the right side but others have gone in from the left to the neutral switch. Left might actually be better…..
Your non starting couldn’t be Startus interruptus, could it?
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:16 am

Not sure what orange and blue valve is. I'm puzzled I am getting no action when clutch switch activated.
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:33 am

Where is the neutral switch relative to where linkage reaches g/box? I can see that. But not much else!
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:55 am

Found it thanks to helpful photos in another thread. It's the connection to the switch. Bingo. Can I get at it if I take the airbox out?
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:06 am

I believe that’s what others have done and some have changed the connector while in there. I bought a set of 11” needle nose pliers on Amazon that came with 30 & 45 degree bends in them as well as a straight one and operated without taking anything apart.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:20 am

You can see the little round rubber switch cover in picture 1. I used one of these pliers to grab the connector and pull it back on the switch and then I squeezed it a little and it's been secure for quite a while now. Someone else did something similar form the other side of the bike. I first moved the hose with the clamps that you see here out of the way. This hose is the one that had the "tip over" valve (blue and orange) in it. I had removed it years ago. And, the Chinese pliers were cheap.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Svartipants likes this post

Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:25 am

Awesome. What's under the rubber boot? A jiggle restored neutral light, but I need a more permanent jiggle. Is it a spade connector that can just be given a squeeze!
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:27 pm

Yes. I was able to slide the rubber boot back. Take the spade connector off, give it a squeeze, put it back on and slide the rubber boot back all with the long needle nose pliers. But maybe just a squeeze will be good enough.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:24 pm

FYI the orange & blue valve is only on North American models. Not that it matters with this issue.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:42 am

I've ordered the angled long nose pliers.
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:19 am

Also, I have worked out why it won't start in gear by operating the clutch switch. I'm slightly embarrassed to admit to being an idiot. But it's true. I am in fact an idiot. The side stand can't be down.

lcjohnny and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:43 am

Trogladyte wrote:
Also, I have worked out why it won't start in gear by operating the clutch switch. I'm slightly embarrassed to admit to being an idiot. But it's true. I am in fact an idiot. The side stand can't be down.
Don't worry about it - you're in good company here!!

lcjohnny, Trogladyte, Speedfrog, kidsmoke and bjor like this post

Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:26 am

@Trogladyte, I’d say you’re a better man for sharing and admitting of your blunder, definitely makes you a non contender in the idiot race we all entered shortly after birth.
And look at it this way, you woke up this morning with enlightened knowledge and a new tool in the kit... Win-win.  Cool

lcjohnny and bjor like this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:13 pm

I was born bald, fat, and dumb. I've achieved that once more. Very Happy Very Happy

Trogladyte likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

8v non starter Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v non starter   8v non starter Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

8v non starter
Page 1 of 1