GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

vibey? vibes?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:29 am

Bike's been feeling a bit vibey recently, in the pegs and bars. Not like it's going to shake you to death but certainly more than it has been previously. I've also been getting a little cough out of the exhaust follwing roll-offs.

So.. I did the valves and re-balanced all the FI stuff. Also tightened up the exhaust headers.

Unfortunately nothing much has changed.

(Runinng beetle map, mistral high pipe with baffles in etc CO2 set to 0)

I'm still getting the slight cough on the overrun, so maybe there's a leak somewhere else? down by the crossover maybe?

To those who know these bikes intimately; what are my next steps?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:51 am

You've checked all the main engine mounting bolts for tightness?

lcjohnny and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:25 am

Cheers Pete,

That sounds like the next step... I'm looking at the frame online and obviously there's the main mounting points front and back but is there anything else?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:42 am

Try synching the throttles whilst riding...
That is mount two vaccum gauges up on the fork crown or tank where you can see them and watch the synch as you ride around - then stop and twiddle the screw ride and repeat until you are happy
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:50 am

thanks lcjohnny - I don't think I'll actually try that!!

fore and aft main engine mounts are tight.

The popping on the overrun makes me think it's more likely some kind of carburation issue

Is the whole set up super sensitive to air leaks?

Maybe it's time to change the exhaust gaskets???
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:23 pm

Yes, they are sensitive to air leaks. Check the clamps on your inlet boots as well.

What's your mileage?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:14 pm

29000kms
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:55 pm

Good. That means your throttle bodies aren't worn out.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:19 pm

how long do they go for typically?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:12 pm

Depends if they've been looked after or not.
Back to top Go down
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:55 pm

Mine (1200 8v with 45k) is also coughing a lot on overrun and not running as smoothly as I think it should. I always thought that was caused by it running too rich but read something the other day (but can’t find it again) about it being too lean that causes it. I am planning its first service (by me) oils, filters, valves, tb balance, etc. can anyone clarify this? Also are there any tricks to searches? I am struggling finding things and that is not just in my garage!
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:01 am

Pete - what on earth would constitute not looking after the throttle bodies??? They're quite hard to mess with... filling the bike with the recommended amount of engine oil??

Beetle - yes, the inlet boots were well loose. I've tightened them up and will re-set the FI stuff one more time and see how I'm doing.

Got a big trip coming up next week and I'd rather not have my hands and feet buzzing for the duration.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:21 pm

Lazlokovacs wrote:
Pete - what on earth would constitute not looking after the throttle bodies??? They're quite hard to mess with... filling the bike with the recommended amount of engine oil??

Over filling the oil....not using a stock air filter...or airbox...not cleaning them if either of the first three were ever done...

Quote :

Beetle - yes, the inlet boots were well loose. I've tightened them up and will re-set the FI stuff one more time and see how I'm doing.

That will make a difference.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:58 pm

Lazlokovacs wrote:
Pete - what on earth would constitute not looking after the throttle bodies??? They're quite hard to mess with... filling the bike with the recommended amount of engine oil?? .

One of the commonest things is not noticing that the drain hoses from the airbox are missing, broken or not plugged. The original hoses are really shitty and harden, rapidly, over time. This allows them to drop off their spigots and/or fracture, then dirt gets in and TB wear is rapid.

Also just buggering about with the throttlestop screw/s or linkage rod or not understanding the function of the bell crank screw. And then if the airbox lid is poorly fitted or the stepper or breather hose are dislocated from the airbox then nice again, muck gets in.
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:54 pm

hmmmmmmm maybe I better check those hoses. the right plugs were in place last time I checked (probably about a year ago)

I've got another guzzi in pieces on the lift at the moment so this might not be done straight away.

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:53 am

so the more I think about this... basically filling the engine oil to the level specified by guzzi and trusting in the hoses that they put on the airbox is enough to potentially knacker the TBs???

What's the fix if the TBs get damaged?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:05 am

Only real fix is new ones. That's why it's so important to look after them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

vibey? vibes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: vibey? vibes?   vibey? vibes? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

vibey? vibes?
Page 1 of 1