GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Spring overhaul sanity check

Go down 
+5
JohnA
JC_Guz89
Pete Roper
GuzziSteve
raulnorry
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
raulnorry
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
raulnorry

Spring overhaul sanity check - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring overhaul sanity check   Spring overhaul sanity check - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:01 pm

I just changed out the clutch fluid... It's possible I didn't bleed it all the way. I'll double check the seals too in case I put them on wrong. Thanks again Pete.
Back to top Go down
raulnorry
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
raulnorry

PostSubject: Re: Spring overhaul sanity check   Spring overhaul sanity check - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:35 am

Well that'll teach me to take shortcuts. I opened up the clutch master cylinder, and the brand new fluid inside was milky brown. Last time I'd just flushed out the old fluid, replacing it when it got discolored while pumping the clutch handle...for the fluid to go bad so quickly, I'm thinking there was a contaminant or I got air in the system. I bled it properly this time using the bleeder under the seat and made sure I didn't overfill the master cylinder. The seal looks fine on the master, so I'm guessing it was just my laziness kicking me in the butt.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Spring overhaul sanity check   Spring overhaul sanity check - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:52 am

raulnorry wrote:

4. Balance throttle bodies (I've got a kit similar to this from amazon)

I really like dial vacuum gauges, but as they are mass produced mechanical items-unless you are luckier than St Luck on Lucky Day in Good-Luck-town they will read very slightly differently from one gauge to  another.
I suggest that when you next use them start off by swapping them over on one vacuum connection and note which one reads higher or sweeps faster (or both) and mark that gauge so you can compensate for the difference when you use them.

If you have old fashioned mercury (gasp) tube gauges they are not able to read differently to each other due to the laws of physics -(The less poisonous tube gauges that use rods and springs also read differently one tube to the next due to manufacturing tolerances and friction)

paulbrice and raulnorry like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Spring overhaul sanity check   Spring overhaul sanity check - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:00 am

raulnorry wrote:
Well that'll teach me to take shortcuts. I opened up the clutch master cylinder, and the brand new fluid inside was milky brown. Last time I'd just flushed out the old fluid, replacing it when it got discolored while pumping the clutch handle...for the fluid to go bad so quickly, I'm thinking there was a contaminant or I got air in the system. I bled it properly this time using the bleeder under the seat and made sure I didn't overfill the master cylinder. The seal looks fine on the master, so I'm guessing it was just my laziness kicking me in the butt.

When you say you inspected the seal are you talking about the rubber bellows under the lid of the master cylinder? If so that isn't the seal I meant when I said the seals fail. The piston of the master cylinder has seals that prevent the fluid escaping out of the bore. It is those that can cause problems if the fluid is not changed frequently and yes, as you've found, simply changing the fluid in the reservoir is not sufficient, the entire system needs flushing top to bottom.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Spring overhaul sanity check   Spring overhaul sanity check - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:56 pm

If you look at the rubber under the clutch master cyl, cap, you'll see that it is neither a bellows, nor a good seal. Air can get in to make up the volume difference, thus brining moisture to the party. Pretty poor design. But's it's part of the character of a MG.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spring overhaul sanity check   Spring overhaul sanity check - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Spring overhaul sanity check
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2