GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

How cold is too cold?

Go down 
+10
Chaipaval
CPB
NorthernProducer
sidrat
Bill Hagan
DungeonMaster
Grisonut
Tod.
Street
Birch
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

How cold is too cold? Empty
PostSubject: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:54 pm

Just rode an hour into Chicago at 51F then a couple hours later home at 44f.

I'm still shivering!

Held "warm & Dry" shave a different idea of warm than I have. Olympia Airglide may be a 3 season jacket, but early spring isn't one of those seasons.

Sprinted home alind ghe Edens at felonious speeds plastered to the tank to keep warm.
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:00 pm

Gerbings and Koso.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Tod.
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Tod.

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:23 am

I woke up one morning whilst camping. I found a round clear object in my sleeping bag. I put it by the campfire whilst brewing up and as it thawed out it went FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART‼️
It was that cold.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:11 am

It was 28F when I picked my bike up last year from the dealer at Dahlonega...
Didn't scare me one bit... I had necessary gears of course.
It was about 55F when I got to Orlando. Piece of cake. Very Happy

My favorite temperature is about 60/65F on a sunny day...
Not cold enough to worry about it and the bike runs like a scolded dog!
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:05 pm

below 20 deg F is too cold
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:04 am

I agree DG but I rather be a bit below 20F than 100F cause I ain't riding in shorts and T-shirt so that means I'd be sweating my ass off at 80mph still...
Now, 3 digits temps in dry heat is a bit better than this 95F 100% humidity shit we have in Florida.

I've done 20F and a tad lower plenty of times and while I can deal with it with correct gears (heated gloves are a must or grip protector...) it's a pain in the arse to "undo" and "re-do" yourself when you stop for a break etc...
Keeping the air flow off the neck area needs good tucking that you can't rush when you're ready to get back on the bike.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:21 am

I have done my share of riding when "normal" folks -- even "normal" riders -- would stay at home.

That said, aside from the pain v. pleasure piece, my biggest concern when riding in the cold ... and especially when the temps are at or below 30F or so ... is the effect of those temps on tires.

I am no engineer (and, in fact, either slept through science classes or stared at the girls), but surely very cold temps affect tire adhesion, etc.

Brrrrrrr just thinking about it.  Thankfully, it's spring and I can see balmy days ahead soon.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:18 am

The tires will take longer to heat up that's for sure but friction is still a factor so they'll warm up to safe temperature eventually...
You'll have to push your lean angle gradually though.
I did the Cherohala Skyway in 30 degree temps at a fast pace (mostly in 6th gear until close to Robinsville) and my trusted Dunlops never faulted.
There was no traffic that day, none. I had the whole road to myself! Can't beat that.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:48 am

Yep 20 degrees us too cold, did 300 miles today the first 100 miles was less than 40 degrees, GRiSO showed it as 4 degrees Celsius, that's about the limit for me without any heated kit.
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:58 pm

Back in the dark ages, when I used to ride my 1958 Cushman to School, I wouldn't hesitate to make the 10 mile ride in freezing weather (once when I arrived turning blue, the principal called a nearby relative to drive me home so I could "defrost"). Now, I find that the older I get, the "higher" my minimums in spite of the gear I wear. Even relocating to the Mid-South (USA) didn't seem to change that. What matters is riding as often as possible...and making the move allows me to do that a lot more than when I lived along the Great Lakes!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm sure you guys will agree that the extremities of the human body will suffer first so that's where the most effort is needed.

MY experience is the hands will hurt way before the feet...
I have winter Sidi waterproof boots (clumsy) and with the help of plastic grocery bags over double lair of socks, I never got my feet cold in 10F weather. Anything colder than this, you have to be a dumb ass to plan rides in that shit regardless.

The hands though, are another story... There are no gloves that will keep them warm or if there are, you won't be able to operate the bike properly anyway.
Heated grips are OK at about 25/30F temps, after that you're dreaming.
Protectors are a good idea because it gets the windchill out of the equation but you'll still need heated gloves. At least, that's the case with me.
I don't plan to ride in extreme cold but sometimes you get caught in it...
In my younger days, I almost got frost bites in the Alps and I promess myself to not get in that scenario again no matter where I was on the planet.
The Mountaineers training I had in the Army saved my ass in the Alps but I ain't 20 anymore...Mad
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Grisonut wrote:
I don't plan to ride in extreme cold but sometimes you get caught in it...

I know what you mean...Cold as Ice!

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
CPB

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 am

Took a fun ride yesterday on the Ducati. 32F/0C. Nice blue skies. Had the Gerbings going, jacket and gloves. Felt great. Not even a little bit cold.
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:50 am

.... and now we have 3" of snow on the ground and salt trucks are everywhere! Grrr...
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
Chaipaval
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Chaipaval

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:35 am

Did 60 miles this morning in 40 to 45F and had lightweight gloves on. Fingers painful towards lower temp but kept flexing them. Speed was down due to single track roads in the Highlands of Scotland and wind behind me on way back which also improved matters. Probably riding below 45F requires extra kit, heating etc to still enjoy it. Its the blood circulation (or lack of) that causes the cold but daren't risk a spoonful of brandy in the coffee!
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:27 am

IMHO that 40-45F is no problem at all if.........
you have good wind protection.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:54 am

That's downright balmy DM!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 am

I know.
Sunday night I'm at Knotts Berry Farm Amusement Park riding roller coasters when the sun went down and the temp dropped below 70F. So I had to pull on a jacket. Brrrr.
Back to top Go down
Ad B
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ad B

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:52 am

Hi,
Last week i drove with my G12 for some 70 km, that was only the second time this year.
It ain't spring yet...
Aaaah, it was very nice to accelerate each time to 6000 rpm (not in 5th and 6th...)
My dash told me it was only 4°C... My oil temp didn't get more as 65°C!!
I didn't have time to get cold, I was enjoying myself to much.
But I have to think about a nice detachable oil cooler cover!
My G12 is looking awesome now, is enjoying a nice set roller tappets now...
Now I want to keep my engine in perfect condition for the coming 100.000 km.......
So its temperatures has to get higher, somewhere around 100°C.

Ad B
Back to top Go down
Ad B
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ad B

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:46 am

Hi,

Question, would installing an inline thermostatic switch do the job better, more consistent, easyer?

Ad B
Back to top Go down
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
CPB

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:57 am

Took the GRiSO out yesterday after work. Was a chilly 47* and for some reason I did not hook up the Gerbings. No

Hands were the only thing that got cold. Was a very nice 50 miles.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:05 am

Ad B wrote:
Hi,

Question, would installing an inline thermostatic switch do the job better, more consistent, easyer?

Ad B

Could you explain a bit more clearly what you mean by a switch?

Pete
Back to top Go down
Ad B
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ad B

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:16 am

Hi Pete,

I mean such a "switch"....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ad B
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:37 am

Ah, OK. Sorry, I wouldn't of used the term 'Switch' simply 'Thermostat'. Yes, it is a more elegant sollution and one I'd quite like to experiment with. On most Grisos installing one might be a bit of an embuggerance due to the location of the cooler and its plumbing but with your bike it would probably be easier.

Most of the ones I've seen are fully open by 80*C which isn't hot enough for our purposes, there are 100*C versions though I believe.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Ad B
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ad B

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:26 am

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your advice.
And you're right, on my bike, with my oil cooler position, it will be easier.
I will try to buy the 100° C version.

Ad B
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How cold is too cold?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next