GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tip over switch/bank angle sensor

Go down 
+9
H-E-ROSS
pauldaytona
supercoyote
b3177h
GR1064
Pete Roper
beetle
waterbottle
Charlie J
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Empty
PostSubject: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Where the fuck does this particularly recalcitrant piece of electrickery hide on an 1100. Hit start button and silence ensues. Guzzidiag says"Tipp over switch active". Ive had this before and bridging the clutch switch fixed. It happened yesterday and after pulling the 30 Amp fuses for 20 seconds it started. But not tofuckenday. All fuses good. Sidestand and clutch switches bridged for the exercise. After stopping the bike last night I noticed my left hand bar end weight was a tad loose,these are not standard and are the expanding inner type so I loosened its screw and gave it a tap with a soft hammer to drive it home and then tightened its screw. Fixed. Im tempted to give the other handlebar a tap with my softhammer .....
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Stay calm Charlie , put the hammer down , the electrical components pic in the manual should point you to it .
Item 6. Under the right side near the relays ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:07 am

Cheers Ron , I am in the process of removing the tail piece to gain access to the relays and hopefully the tip over switch.
I pulled the wire connector to the start switch, put my multimeter on the red and yellow wire and the blue wire , these go to the start button, and got the missus to press the start button and the meter did fuck all. I had sprayed the switch with contact cleaner so the switch seems to be the culprit. Is there another way I can test this ?
On the bright side I now have a laminated colour A2 copy of Carl Allisons wiring diagram
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:58 am

Open the switch and bridge it. If the bike turns over, problem found.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:54 am

I'd never found that switch. I was aware of it on other models but I've never had need to look for it on the GRiSO and also thought perhaps it had been deleted or never employed.

Live and learn Eh?

My great bag o'shite never stops running when I throw it on its side! Perhaps my switch is broken? (doubtful!)

Pete
Back to top Go down
GR1064
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GR1064

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:15 am

The tip over switch is located in front and slightly above the ECU, near the steering head.

It's mounted onto the frame in a rubber holder.

If you remove the one of side panels you will see it near the ECU.

This sensor correctly positioned and with the engine running is open contact (62K ohms).

If the bike falls over, the sensor closes its contact (0 Ohms).

Brian
Back to top Go down
b3177h
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
b3177h

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:42 pm

Will dropping the bike damage the tip over switch? I've had no start issues with the GRiSO but I always attributed that to making bad contacts with battery?
Back to top Go down
GR1064
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GR1064

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:52 am

I don’t think dropping the bike is going to damage the tip over sensor.  You can check this by temporarily disconnecting it, the bike will still run.

If you have ‘no start’ issues, this is known problem and you can search this forum for that.

You should also check your battery voltage (too low and it won’t start) and also the earth lead connection behind the starter cover.

I had an intermittent ‘no start’ problem on my 1100, which I traced to a faulty electrical contact in a connector from the starter button.

Brian
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:46 am

Charlie, the fall over cut out is a ball bearing in a 'V' shaped pair of contacts. Unless you do something like hit it with a fucking great hammer it won't be a problem.

Pete
Back to top Go down
supercoyote
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
supercoyote

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:12 am

Last time I had guzzidiag open and my bike on its sidestand, I could swear tip over switch was also set to active and it would start. Maybe someone else can chime in, but I came to the conclusion that it was a matter of how vocabulary, that the tip over is active if the bike is still rubber side down.
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:34 am

the reading is changed in guzzidiag on the tipover switch because it was not clear. So be shure to have 0.47 guzzidiag.

If all is ok, you should have the message in Gd "start possible".

If you drop the bike it takes 15 minutes before it is ok again to start. And if the tippover is really broken, you can disconnect it to come home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Yes. 15 minutes of feeling like a dope while you wait for the bike to start again. I know.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:55 pm

15 minutes of feeling like a dope is probably a good thing! Just because it will start, doesn't mean you should ride it.
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:12 am

beetle wrote:
Yes. 15 minutes of feeling like a dope while you wait for the bike to start again. I know.

Ditto. But then you have time to look for that stupid-expensive little rubber "Guzzi" oval plug thing that covers the allen bolt in the valve cover that popped off. Natch' you won't find it. Then you'll look up the price on a replacement and swear out loud when you see what they want for them Wink.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:48 am

I dropped my 1100 at zero speed waiting for the ferry at Dawson City.
It wouldn't turn over so I hot wired the solenoid, the shaking must have reset the switch.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:22 pm

In my last remaining brain cell, I have recollection that there is a time delay in the ECU when the tip over switch is activated.  So the engine will not start immediately.

Or am I imagining all this? scratch
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:51 pm

There may well be but I had hot wired the starter in around 5 minutes, perhaps starting caused it to bypass the time delay.
Would be interesting to test that theory.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:00 pm

Dang Kiwi_Roy,

Dawson City is a fair distance from your home port. You have my respect.

Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:16 am

Yes I went to the Arctic Circle up the Dempster then doodled down past Salt lake City for a Not A Rally
Somewhere in the same year I did a quick trip back to NZ and borrowed a bike from Kiwi Dave to visit family down island
I'm glad I did that before this Chinese Bat virus raised its head, can't see me going anywhere this year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tip over switch/bank angle sensor   Tip over switch/bank angle sensor Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tip over switch/bank angle sensor
Page 1 of 1