GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ill fitting pipe

Go down 
+3
Oz1200Guzzi
Pete Roper
Chronic
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chronic
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Chronic

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:51 am

Ok, so I'm past my first service and should be done with business travel for a bit, and so, got some time to play with me GRiSO.   I finally got my slip on from Guzzitech and I must say it is quite nice build quality.  There was a fellow named Price Sloan (R.I.P) that designed pipes together with Todd and this pipe looks to be similar quality. (don't know who makes 'em now)

My only problem is that it was not sized correctly to slip on the mid-pipe ( a bit of a pisser Mad ) So, I cleverly went to a muffler shop and had them expand it a wee bit....... of course they over expanded a wee bit and is a bit too loose fitting now.   My question is-  can a high heat silicone or a ceramic paste be used to shore up the small gap??   The strap clamps I have a certainly not strong enough to crimp it back down on the mid-pipe.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:41 am

Shit, has that still not been corrected? For fucks sakes I bought my pipe seven bloody years ago and had the same issue! No a sealant won't work. I ended up using shim stock and sealant, it was messy and needed re-doing on a regular basis. Lovely to look at and beautifully constructed as it was it was still horribly loud, buggered the performance and didn't fit which basically adds up to a trifecta of useless.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:22 pm

Chronic, see if you can fit (or machine to fit) some aluminium tube to take up the space. I did this on my original muffler (1200 Sport) when the OEM graphite one broke. Worked fine for me.

Maybe this is also too small and you might have to do as Pete suggests.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:45 pm

3 M make a 2 inch wide roll of aluminium tape, quite a thick item, I would guess around .005" thou.
So each wrap would increase the o.d. of the pretzel by .010" I imagine the heat would turn the adhesive into a mess pretty quickly though.
Muffler Putty, the stuff I've used stays soft until the exhaust heat sets it, like cement, so it might be difficult to remove.
Like Tony said, get a tube machined to fit ( a close sliding fit ) from stainless steel though, cut the one off the front of the muffler and tig weld the new one on.
PITA to have to mod a new part to fit Neutral
Back to top Go down
Chronic
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Chronic

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Yeah, it's a PITA....... especially since I was all excited about slipping it on immediately and seeing how the O2 sensor adjusted and how it performed.   So, fiddle fucking with it for a couple
days kinda sucks

I think I'll work on shimming it.   I was contemplating cutting up a beer can and giving it try Laughing     Actually I'll snoop around a hardware store and see what may come of it.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:40 pm

That'd piss me off... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I agree with Pete too. How long does it take to correct that? If you fucking care that is?
I almost got the ride side exhaust but upon hearing it on another bike I quickly change my mind and never look back.
The only thing I bought from GT was the valve cover stainless bolts and they dress up the top of the mill nicely.
Frankly, the factory should have done that on day one anyway.

Anyway, the beer can "spacer" might not be a bad idea if it's all the thickness you need...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Beer can shim. Bush engineering at it's best. I like it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:30 am

I'd drink the whole 6 pack just to make sure it fits.
Back to top Go down
Chronic
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Chronic

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Fri May 01, 2015 9:43 am

Digging thru the fridge I could only come up with bottled IPA's....... no cans!!   So, after a couple of them tasty 8% beers I came up with the bright idea of using exhaust wrap as my shim.  Off to Pep Boys I went (the next day, of course)  Found some titanium wrap that looked much the same color as the mid-pipe, so, that and some exhaust sealant to hold it in place as I slipped on the muffler......... and damned if it doen't seem to have worked:cheers: ......... at least for now.  We'll see how it holds up.   It made for a nice snug fit.

Any reason this may not work???

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Fri May 01, 2015 12:18 pm

A good idea cronic Thumbs Up
Just a thought here, how far does the pipe actually slip on ?
It would be easy to run a slot ( Cut ) on the underside of the pipe lengthwise which will allow the clamp to pull it down tighter on the mid pipe. Leave some overlap to effect a good seal with a bit of wrap.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Fri May 01, 2015 12:31 pm

I have also done this before Chronic. PITA if it on/off/on/off - can also vibrate out - suggest doing what Ron says
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Fri May 01, 2015 12:54 pm

well turn the clamp away so the bolts are out of sight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1Sat May 02, 2015 12:40 pm

If that wrap doesn't last, you could always make two slotted cuts at the end of the slip on tube so they'll squish in place around the mid pipe.
I've done this before, it works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ill fitting pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ill fitting pipe   Ill fitting pipe Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ill fitting pipe
Page 1 of 1