GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

If he didn't have bad luck.....

Go down 
+7
Phang
Blue
Ralf z
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
rboe
Pete Roper
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

If he didn't have bad luck..... Empty
PostSubject: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Mon May 04, 2015 7:24 pm

He'd have no luck at all.

Mark III's Tenni is back in the shop. It ate it's tappets at the end of last year and with no service history he had to pay for a roller conversion. Anyway it's been making an 'orrible knocking noise so this morning I pulled the right hand head and barrel off and it stinks of 'Dead Engine Smell'. It's cooked something, I suspect it's big ends.

Anyway we'll buy Doug'd Stelvio motor, swap the heads and roller kit onto it and I'll perform an autopsy on Mark's lump on the bench.

After writing off his old black bomber 18 months or so ago and nearly killing his-self his luck has been just shithouse!

Pete
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Mon May 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Damn!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Mon May 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Shit piss fuck cunt tit vomit turd arse & hole.

Mad

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Mon May 04, 2015 8:28 pm

wot beetle says + picu, dupe, kurates
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Ralf z

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Mon May 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Bugger
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2015 1:01 am

Feck.......
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2015 4:42 am

I'll be very interested to get to the bottom of this. This bike has a history of being a turd, (The lack of service history for a start but I need to find out where exactly it came from.). I I'd the roller conversion but since we knew it's cams were fucked I don't think I ever heard it running prior to the rolleris action. Anyway, there is nothing in that operation that could of affected the bottom end.

I wonder if it was run low on oil at some point and then when the top end was sorted it was enough to make the bottom end cry 'Uncle'?

On a related subject though I'm getting some very interesting info on tappet failure. I want to make sure that all the ducks are in a row before I make any public statements.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2015 6:03 am

On a related subject though I'm getting some very interesting info on tappet failure. I want to make sure that all the ducks are in a row before I make any public statements. wrote:

waiting for the ducks to line up....
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks one and all for your commiserations.

After gently sobbing in to my pillow as I tried to sleep last night I woke today with a massive case of the shits.
However on the way into my office foyer this morning I looked up to see the news on a TV monitor and caught a glimpse of the tragic situation in Nepal.
Those images and my thoughts for the innocent people who perished in recent Flooding in my home state gave me a metaphoric kick up the arse.

WTF am I whining about, a F#!king motorcycle which can’t be ridden due to no fault of mine (still got the shits but with a more realistic perspective) and a significant dent in my finances.
The Green Turd as it is now being described will eventually be repaired and my wife will eventually start talking to me again, once she gets over the irritation of the cost involved (we will keep the total amount to ourselves won’t we) and I will go about life worrying about other inconsequential things.
The bike might even finally start to run to its true potential, it has never been as sweet running as my old black one.

My main short term irritation is that I will again miss the Ruptured Budgie Rally on the 16th an event I was really looking forward to.
Missed it last year as well due to injuries and no bike after trying to assassinate myself in March, oh well I will have to look forward to it next year.

Looks like that overdue gardening will finally get done.

Mark
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2015 8:45 pm

Mark, I'm going away to WA for three weeks from the 20th. Do you want to borrow the green horror to ride to the Budgie?

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2015 8:51 pm

The green horror and the green turd, you guys wanna room together?

Oiy! Roper San, before you go away will you measure them forks for me please?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2015 8:59 pm

Haven't got to the mains but I think we know where the knock was coming from....

Crank pin looks salvageable but I'll wait until the crank is out before I measure it properly.

My guess is that some shit got through the filter on bypass when the oil was cold when I rollerised it I did all the usual examinations and things looked OK but there must of been some chunks of Tappet hiding somewhere in the system.

Anyway I'll finish stripping it tomorrow. The front main is now a pressed in component in the crankcase and is *Supposed* to be non replaceable. Fuck that, if it's beyond the pale I'll get Mark Foster to mill it out and turn up a new one. We can press it in and peg it. Job done. 'Not Serviceable'! Pigs arse!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Another weird thing. The clutch bell and ring gear have a 'Tide Mark' of rust on them as if the poor bike has been semi submerged at some point! One has to wonder what sort of horrible abuse it suffered way back in the early days of its short, brutish, life!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2015 12:30 am

Pete Roper wrote:
The clutch bell and ring gear have a 'Tide Mark' of rust on them as if the poor bike has been semi submerged at some point!

scratch

Curiouser and curiouser!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2015 12:44 am

But once again it shows just how insanely strong they are! Virtually any other machine I can think of would of melted into a pool of broken slag! Not only was this one going but it's main claim to fame was that it was noisy! It didn't go as well as a good 'un but it still went OK.

Once I get the Pistons off I'll get some good pics of the rods. They really are a work of art. I've rarely seen such good rods in a stock motor, they really are magnificent. I'd take 'em over Carillos any day unless I was chasing the very last poofteenth of horsepower. The quality of the current bikes is really outstanding.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2015 10:25 pm

Well, some good news at last! Pulled it down completely and the front and rear mains and the oil pump are ridgey-didge so we don't need to buy Doug's motor! cheers

By craftily rolling everything we're likely to need into one order from AF1, (And I've thrown Waterbottle's handlebar order in as well as the price was much cheaper.) we should be able to get out of this a LOT cheaper than I originally thought it would cost.

Crank is fine, I miked it up, gave it a hand linish, threw the measuring sticks at it and it's untouched! Nitriding is a wonderful thing! There was one tiny score mark in the front main. Clearances are fine, it'll live! Rear main is golden. Still gotta measure the rods but I honestly don't think they will need a re-sizing as the bearings never completely failed.

Ine thing that is interesting is that although this is an A5 motor it no longer has the plastic oil pump gear. They have reverted to steel.

All this has made me very happy.!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2015 11:15 pm

Yeah baby! cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2015 11:27 pm

No need to neck myself after all and I won't have to fib as much to my better half about how much this is going to cost.
I will just have to wait for the parts to arrive, as I said to Pete this bike is teaching me the value of patience.
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Ralf z

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2015 11:42 pm

Good news Mark!
Back to top Go down
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Thu May 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Nitriding is a wonderful thing!
Pete

Nitrided crank - really ?? That is the kind of seriously expensive heat-treating only found in race engines.
That (and the finished rods you mentioned) is impressive engine-building for a 'cruiser'. That's where the money goes, instead of "bling".

I've always believed that on Italian bikes and cars: You can tell where they were in the design process when Lunchtime came.
The AM stuff is well thought-out, until about 11:30 or so, when all thoughts turned to pasta.....
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Thu May 07, 2015 7:45 pm

All Guzzi cranks have been Nitrided since the dawn of time.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Thu May 07, 2015 9:40 pm

"...when all thoughts turned to pasta..."

...and vino.
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Scot p

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Sun May 10, 2015 3:07 pm

jeremyb wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:
Nitriding is a wonderful thing!
Pete

Nitrided crank - really ??  That is the kind of seriously expensive heat-treating only found in race engines.
That (and the finished rods you mentioned) is impressive engine-building for a 'cruiser'. That's where the money goes, instead of "bling".

iTS not a "cruiser" FFS...if it was I wouldn't own one..

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2015 7:15 am

Number
Mark111 - Really pleased that things are not as bad as they could have been. Very Happy

Glad you have/are not going to have to lie to the Mrs............

Really enjoy reading these mechanical delving threads Mr Roper [ although I do admit to not knowing what the hell you are talking about at times in tech speak ] I do get some of it and even if just a little bit sinks in that's a bonus for me.

Glass is moving from half empty to half full. Hope the bike is back out there soon. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If he didn't have bad luck.....   If he didn't have bad luck..... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

If he didn't have bad luck.....
Page 1 of 1