GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Clanking Engine on Norge

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
frypan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
frypan

Clanking Engine on Norge  Empty
PostSubject: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:34 pm

Been offline since last fall. Took a break from my GRiSO and jumped on a real rattle your balls off motorcycle, my ’02 LeMans. My first Guzzi love and I can see why I never sold it, just shy of 100,000kms of shit eating grin.

Anyway not the reason I’m on here. Having a spot of bother with my wife’s bike, a 2011 Norge8V. This bike has been possessed since day one, it is now registering just over 53,000kms and each year has brought on one pleasant surprise after the other. Two faulty O2 sensors that provided for miserable starting and riding for two years, a faulty oil pressure sender that blew its top spewing oil everywhere halfway between Bumfuck and Pavement Ends, clanking shifts, and now the piece de resistance a horrendous clanking sound that in its worst form sounds like the bottom end bearings have shit themselves. The other problems have all been sorted out and just when we think we are home free this latest box of chuckles appears and it is another head scratcher so I am open to all suggestions, and believe me I won’t rule out an exorcism.

Bike finished off last year running like a champ with a Beetle map.  Put away in November. Bike was serviced by myself, with fresh fluids everywhere, and new oil filter in March. We start the riding season and wife manages to put on about 1500kms problem free. Next ride out we are stuck in traffic and I can hear the Norge next to me at stoplights, it is clanking and running very poorly. We are stuck in traffic and this continues on for at least 15 minutes until we get to destination. I find reving the bike up diminishes the clanking but overall bike is running poorly. Next day we head off and noise seems to be minor, and closer to a tappety sound. As day progresses clanking returns in low speed congested traffic occasions.

The bike was brought into the shop. The rocker gear was replaced even though wear was very minimal. Guzzi authorized replacement. Problem not solved. Next left hand cam chain tensioner was replaced. Problem not solved.  Grasping at straws I replaced the oil filter on the off chance something was funky with it and because the problem started shortly after oil and filter were replaced. Ahaha after filter was replaced bike ran like a purring kitten. A 250 km ride in hot weather and stop and go traffic did not elicit a peep. Hallelujah I was thinking. Two days later wife goes to ride bike, initially all is well but within a few kilometers it is back to full blown clank. Bike is back in shop and there is a lot of head scratching going on. My thought is that it has to be something in the oil circuit. The shop was in the process of blowing them out today but so far no results.

Any ideas?
Oh and BTW a lit match and can of gasoline, 357 Magnum, a long ride off a short cliff are already on my list.
Back to top Go down
little750
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
little750

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:05 am

Plug caps causing misfire.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:05 am

Rocker gear replaced? Can you expand? Was it replaced with rollers or just had a few parts in the valvetrain replaced?

Pete
Back to top Go down
frypan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
frypan

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:54 am

Hi Pete,

Rocker gear was replaced with two new roller kits.
Hydraulic tensioner on left side was replaced with new unit.

The crazy part is that when it runs good it purrs but when it gets possessed it sounds gawd awful, at its worst very much like a very bad rod knock. Before it reaches that stage it is like very loud loose tappets. Reving the engine past 2500 rpm does diminish the noise. Sometimes reving it up and going back to idle will make the noise diminish or go away entirely. That is why I am leaning toward something to do with the oiling system.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:46 am

Sounds very similar to the issue Mark S was having with his GRiSO. Unfortunately stray bits of tappet got past the filter and trashed his big end shells. His engine is in a million bits on my bench right now. His noise too was intermittent, which was odd for big ends? (shrug?)

Pete
Back to top Go down
frypan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
frypan

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:25 pm

Not what I wanted to hear. Sad
At least it provides an avenue of investigation. The odd thing though was that the wear on the original rocker box components was minimal. In fact it was almost impossible to see wear in the photos that were sent to Guzzi. Guzzi said go ahead, replace on their nickel. I will talk to shop and have them look at the original components again to see if any bits are missing.
My theory which is maybe on the same lines is that the new filter that was installed prior to the problem occurring had some shite in it. If this made its way out, it could have had a similar effect. I have never heard of shite in a filter, although many moons back I have heard of them collapsing internally, there always has to be a pioneer. ....We set sail off into the world where shite has never gone before exploring the pains and frustration of owning a motorcycle that breaks down at the start of the biking season...... Capt'n Clank
Back to top Go down
frypan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
frypan

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Okay anyone find the problem in the picture?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
frypan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
frypan

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:55 pm

The starship Norge entered the galaxy of Gasket Nosealius where the Gasketians we obliterated by the Vibratrons and the Torqueless Boltroids. This created a void where inner space matter was allowed to leak into outer space. This disruption of space caused the starship to malfunction, with grave concern of the crew. The Gasketians have been reinforced with a fresh battalion. The world has been saved and the starship Norge now ventures quietly where no man has been before (well at least for 5 minutes). Capt'n Clank signing off.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:55 pm

Well part of the gasket is missing around the pick-up but is that still stuck to the block?

Pete
Back to top Go down
frypan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
frypan

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:05 pm

No it was in little bits in the sump.
My theory is that the missing gasket would allow the oil to drain out when engine was stopped, especially when it was hot and then on start-up air would be sucked in. This explains why it would start its clank about 10 seconds just after start-up on a hot engine.
Rode it for about 150 kms today with several starts and stops in 34C weather and it purred like a kitten.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Got to give Gord at Valley Moto kudos for going through the entire hydraulic system checking. He eventually found this after removing the inner sump casting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:15 pm

Gee, after all the beating on the big brass drum, I would have been tempted to at least remove the big end caps to have a look at the shells and crank pin with my bi-focal goggles and big torch.
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Glad to hear Gord got it sussed out for you frypan! You mentioned clanking shifts earlier. I am having an additional noise... thud / clank going on at low speeds which I believe started late last season and has gotten a bit more noticeable. Does not seem too bad but perhaps something is up? What exactly was the issue you were having there.

Someone mentioned a similar problem on the board recently and it was apparently was related to the front bushing of the cardon bar wearing out or something to that effect causing an additional clank / clunk after shifting.

thoughts and thanks ?

Back to top Go down
frypan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
frypan

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:19 pm

I would have been tempted to at least remove the big end caps to have a look at the shells and crank pin with my bi-focal goggles and big torch. wrote:

I tried removing them with a Harley hammer but I kept missing the second bearing cap. My timing must have been off.
Back to top Go down
frypan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
frypan

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:58 pm

Someone mentioned a similar problem on the board recently and it was apparently was related to the front bushing of the cardon bar wearing out or something to that effect causing an additional clank / clunk after shifting. wrote:

The shifting clunk we had was the result of the front torque arm bushing. I replaced it with a new bushing ($25 if I recall) and shifting clunk was gone.
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:39 pm

Forgot it was you frypan - thanks!
Back to top Go down
frypan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
frypan

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Another 450 kms today, Norge and GRiSO. 34-36C and not a problem.
Vivian is happy a clam to have her bike back running properly.
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:11 pm

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
frypan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
frypan

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:33 pm

Thanks Plantboy

Clams don't have arms but I'm pretty sure they would do that when they are happy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clanking Engine on Norge    Clanking Engine on Norge  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Clanking Engine on Norge
Page 1 of 1