GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New tyres!

Go down 
+15
Groovitz
motor-timothy
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
Brent S
rick pope
Dilliw
ratso88
Weißgerät
Bulldog9
lcjohnny
rodski
Phang
Steak
Pete Roper
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:54 pm

I love new tyres, especially when you've really run the other ones until they are buggered!

Put a shiny new pair of PR3's on today, rode to the end of the street just in time to see a Canberra car that didn't slow down entering the 50KPH zone in Bungendore embed itself in the back of another Canberra plated SUV that had! No injuries luckily but they must of been doing close to 100! It really doesn't worry me that the coppers blitz my town at Christmas when there are dorks like this on the roads. They would of continued happily through town at 100 oblivious to kids and old people. After all Bungendore is just 'A place you go through on the way to the coast'. Its not like anyone lives here or anything. If I were to speed through their leafy suburb in Canberra they'd want my head on a pike though because "That's different." Morons.

Anyway, I went off and scrubbed the tyres in while at least two sets of wallopers were engaged in clearing up the mess!

I love new tyres. Did I mention that Laughing 

Pete

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm due for a new set of shoes. I'm going to try a set of the latest iteration of the Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs that have improved shoulder compounds and better rain shedding. Should be fun.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Cowboy likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:18 pm

I am thrifty  study  my 2010 G8VSE still wearing the original Pirelli Scorpion Sync at 20,000km.

I reckoned the front tyre will show the first bar of TWI in another one or two thousands kilometers. The rear tyre still has about 40% thread left.

I heard positive feedback from my mates about PR3, I'll probably put that on my GRiSO.

Phang
Back to top Go down
rodski
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
rodski

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:59 am

Hi!
Having a Moto Guzzi GRiSO 8V 1200 2010.
Time to change tyres.
Anyone driving on Dunlop Roadsmart II ?
What size is the valve steam hole?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:37 am

Roadsmart 11 were very good on my R1100S shrugged off the weight and shaft reaction neutral and quickish steering - almost as good as the Metzler Roadtec 01

rodski likes this post

Back to top Go down
rodski
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
rodski

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:26 am

Thanks lcjohnny!
I bought the bike 2hand in June and have done 3000km on 5 year old Bridgestone Bt023, which now are gone. Probably because Algarve in Portugal have 35 degrees Celsius in summer an have been driving a lot on twisty roads in the mountains. Having Googled a lot and looked at tests Dunlop Sportmax Roadmax 2 seems to be good at almost everything except wet condition (which is not a problem here). The difference between Roadmax 2 Vs 3 seem mostly too be in the wetgrip. As the price difference is big I go for the Roadmax 2. Having done some research the original Part number is GU3617710. However no information about the diameter. I will change the valves as the motorcycle now is 10 years old.
BTW lcjohnny love your ride.🤪
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:28 am

Thank you Rodski
My GRiSO is in the garage at the moment as i go through 12 years of rusted threads 'modified' electrics, missing bolts etc - got the tank off to sort out a blockage in the water drain si i will take the opportunity to check the piping andrepace the filter.

Then i will get some miles on it before i regrease the swing-arm and linkages
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:31 pm

rodski wrote:
Hi!
Time to change tyres.

I've got the Road Smart 3's, like them very much very similar to the Angel GT and PR2, and much better than the Pirelli Demons that were on the GRiSO when I got it. Used to run the first gen on my Concours and FJR.
Back to top Go down
rodski
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
rodski

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:43 pm

Thanks Bulldog9!
Nice too hear that You have a positive experience of the Roadsmart 3.
Back to top Go down
Weißgerät
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Weißgerät

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:10 pm

New Bridgestone T31 Evo this spring, no complaints.

They're now over 5,000 km old, so I must have liked them! Very Happy
I plan to keep them one more season.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:02 pm

Couple weeks ago I put another set of the Michelin P5's on. I put the previous set of P5's on in Arizona after getting a flat on the highway leaving Phoenix. The guy at the bike shop, former Guzzi dealer right, recommended them. I got something like 15-16K miles outta them.

New tires almost make it a new bike cheers

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:57 am

I went with the PR5 GT's and to me they ride a little harsh. Only 150 miles before I put the bike in storage so maybe need some more miles.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:20 pm

So, is the Michelin P5 different than the R5? I'm on my second set of Road5, and love them, but only got 4,600 miles out of the first set. Right side was shot, but the centers had a couple more thousand in them, left side was somewhere between.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:14 am

Sorry, Rick(and others) I had put on the Michelin R5, Road 5 tires.

foggy brain and fat fingers are a bad mix, might need to be laying off the sauce

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:32 pm

Hmmm. Am I correct that the R5 is a dual compound tire? I do very little highway miles, so maybe running on twisty roads, and weighing nearly double what a "normal" GRiSO rider might weigh, could affect tire life. Just saying..... I ain't fat, I'm just short for my weight.

Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:15 pm

Dilliw wrote:
I went with the PR5 GT's and to me they ride a little harsh.  Only 150 miles before I put the bike in storage so maybe need some more miles.

Recently put a set of Pirelli Angel GT II’s on. Considered the heavy duty version (“A Spec” in Pirelli talk) but when I looked up the GRiSO on the Pirelli site, it didn’t mention any need for the heavy duty version. Just quoted the normal one, hence I went with those.

I would imagine, by virtue of a stiffer sidewall design, the heavy duty version would ride a bit firmer, all other things being equal. Given I’ve battled suspension compliance issues for bloody ages, the last thing I needed was a harsher ride, so glad that I went the normal spec tyre.

Brent.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:29 pm

From what I know (and it ain't that much really) the GT has stiffer walls and is a dual-compound tyre. I find them great for me on my Sport. Problem was, when I got the last set of tyres teh GT was not available (yet) on the Road 5s - they have since come onto the market. For me they don't squirm on corners - I like that!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:29 pm

I've got R5's on my GRiSO. I like them, a lot. I was surprised at how much they improved the handling. I know the profile is different to the PR4, as the rear is wider. I found out the hard way. See last two posts here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Even though the R5 is wider, they make the GRiSO more nimble. Counterintuitively.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:56 am

Roadtech 01's here, very nice tires with plenty of grip in wet weather, plus they look really nice as a bonus. They feel a lot more confident than the previous Angel GT's that I had with which I had a few front wheel locks and rear wheel sidesteps during wet weather.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:41 am

When Eric put my rear on the changing machine there was plenty of flex on the sidewall. It's got to be the center compound and that should resolve itself some with miles. Just a note to myself that the regular R5 will,be the next pick
Back to top Go down
Groovitz
Carlotto
Carlotto
Groovitz

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:50 am

rodski wrote:
Hi!
Time to change tyres.

Any answer on the VALVE STEM hole? I want to switch to 90' valves. 10mm??? 11.3mm???

Thanks
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:46 am

I asked the local shop if it was possible to change the rear to a right angle stem and was told that it couldn't be done. Pete or one of the other gurus might be able to tell you different.
Back to top Go down
BrandX
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BrandX

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:15 pm

I like Dunlop Q3+ on my Breva.. Only the rear is dual compound..I think a better match then Q4 for general overall street riding..
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:28 pm

wyno wrote:
I asked the local shop if it was possible to change the rear to a right angle stem and was told that it couldn't be done. Pete or one of the other gurus might be able to tell you different.

It's not possible on the spoked wheels. The nipple dimples are too close together and the right angle stem base is too girthy...

That almost sounds dirty.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:45 am

My front spoked wheel has 90 bend & rear spoked is straight. Rear looks like it should take a 90 degree based on looking (and approx caliper measurement) from outside but could well be internal dimensions stop it...I haven't tried.

I guess you could fit a 90 degree valve extender if you don't mind the look.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New tyres! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tyres!   New tyres! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New tyres!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next