GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service

Go down 
+8
JohnA
Grisonut
Tolle09
jexmatex
LBC Tenni
Bill Hagan
Pete Roper
ronbo10
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ronbo10
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ronbo10

What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Empty
PostSubject: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi everyone. Sorry I've had hardly any time to post lately.

Go figure- I just noticed this now (picked it up about 8 days ago). Not sure how this, what looks like some sort of indentation from the back side, might have happened. I know I didn't do it. Is the gas tank cover removed for any reason in the course of doing the 900 mile service? They said they adjusted the valves (new valve cover gaskets), changed the oil, test rode.

I might be embarrassed that I have only about 1K miles on it since buying it last October, but I ride as time allows, which isn't often. That's modern life I guess. In any case, that's a thousand miles more than if I'd not bought her.  Still love the GRiSO as much as always- fantastic bike!

So anybody with any ideas? Too late to contact the dealer tonight, so I'll try in the morning. No idea what their response might be, so we'll see. It seems to be an impression of some component. Not apparent is a little dimple about smack in the middle of the wishbone-ish shape. Very strange. I have no idea how much a tank cover would cost. Perhaps this could be heated and returned to its original form, but it's really hard to imagine a scenario where this could happen in the first place?!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:55 pm

It isn't a tank cover, that's the tank. I'm not sure but I don't think fuel is actually carried in that part but if it is it may be a reaction to the ethanol in the fuel that you poor bastards are forced to have. Anyway, it won't be a 'Dent' per-se as plastic tanks won't dent. I'd just ask them to warranty it.

Incidentally as part of this 'Service' did they balance the TB's and re-set the TPS? If not then it will be running far from optimally. You can't do half a tune up. It's pointless.

Pete

PS. On closer inspection there is fuel in the dimpled bit. Could well be ethanol related.

Back to top Go down
ronbo10
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ronbo10

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks, Pete- I didn't think to ask them if they balanced the TB's and did a TPS reset- it's not noted in the paperwork so I'll have to make sure they in fact did that. I'd say the GRiSO does seem to run about the same (best I could tell, given that prior to the service I was limiting the revs to 6K); I will say with the Zard and Beetle's map she runs very nicely, with the front end light and dancing in 2nd and 3rd shifting at red line. I was shocked, really. What a motor! I've never ridden anything like a Tuono (fastest bike I've ridden is probably an early vintage Ducati 916). Riding anything faster than the 8V GRiSO would at this point in my life be almost more work than fun. On the street, at 57 years old it would just seem an exercise in excess.

Oops, rambling again. Anyway, not sure why I thought the GRiSO had a tank cover- must have confused it with another bike.

Hopefully they can warranty this as you suggested.

Cheers,

Ron
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:34 pm

If I was thirty years younger I'd be all over a Tuono like a rash but the Guzzi 8V offers everything I need in a road bike and unlike the TV-4 it is stupidly easy to maintain. I haven't got enough life left to waste doing a service that takes a whole day. The V4 is in itself a dream to work on. Elegant and simple. It's problem is it's stuck tightly into that beautiful frame making it an absolute pig to get to the front bank. Rear bank is easy and working on one on the bench is a joy but I'm willing to sacrifice 35HP I'd rarely use, (And would probably end up in gaol or hospital if I did regularly!) for the ease of three hours for a full service that I can do in my sleep with a blindfold on and one hand tied behind my back! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:52 am

By all means warranty it if doable, but have to say that my Norge and GRiSO have both suffered from "dimples" from time to time as a result of using corn fuel, yet those same nasties have disappeared on their own.  

The only lingering issue has been tank swell, making it impossible to use the bolt to seat the Norge's tank, and a PITA to reinstall the GRiSO's after removing it.

As for ethanol generally, always thought it ironic that the easiest place to find "real" gasoline was in the midwest where they make the bad stuff.  Especially loved that 93-Octane "Recreational Fuel" I found all over SW Wisconsin.

Bill
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:49 am

I've had mysterious dimples come and go on my tank as well. I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one. I thought I might be getting even crazier. I haven't seen any new ones since I started using only fuel from Chevron stations. I used to be able to get ethanol free fuel for a fair price at the local marina. There are a few stations around still selling it but the price is insane, so I've given up. Thanks Monsanto! Up yours! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
jexmatex
Carlotto
Carlotto
jexmatex

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:04 am

incredible story, i didnt know that in the us you had differents gazoline from states to states.
and this appening with dimples on tank wich come and goes is crazy how can the resin tank can "move " like that ?.
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:47 am

Dimples and swelling, sounds like the old lady albino
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:26 am

Alcohol and plastic are a bad combination. The money-grubbing unholy trinity af agri-business, oil companies, and crooked politicians has ruined all our fuel in the U.S.
Back to top Go down
ronbo10
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ronbo10

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks for the comments, all. Unfortunately, LBC Tenni, no Chevron stations in this area that I'm aware of.

I think GRiSO is just going through that awkward adolescent stage, and what we're seeing here is a minor breakout. No more chocolates, GRiSO!

I'll have to wash 'im up with some Proactive tonight.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:52 pm

All those gas tanks are like that.
I think it's the Italian mold more than ethanol itself. lol
Mine had those imperfections the day I picked it up, same with the other 2 Grisos I've got (my 09 now departed).
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:19 am

I noticed an inperfection in my 2014 sometime after I had it but it's something that only the owner would probably notice. After a year and about 3500 miles (now), one of the stripes on the tank has developed a bubble under it. It appeared as if the installer stretched the tape (stripe) to hard and it started pulling up where the tank changes elevation. But the tank has to have expanded somehow - damn ethanol. I got with MPH Cycles where I bought it and Mike ordered me a new set of factory stripes. The original ones seem to have a clear coat over them. Don't know what we'll do about that, probaby nothing. Glad to be close to MPH here in Texas.
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:10 pm

I've had decent luck trying to run tank near empty before tucking it in the garage. Last winter did the full tank and treatment. Only have to use a 2"x4" to pry the tank back on occasionally.

That looks like it could be a pocket in the acerbis nylon mold. Stupid corn, next bike may have a metal tank after 3 warping Italians. (v7 has a metal tank...)
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:45 am

Hmmm, looks like a crease in the right spar that straddles the battery. No way that would be caused by ERS (Ethanol Related Swelling.)

Looks to me like a mechanical cause. Did the servicing agent have the tank off of the bike for any reason? Makes me wonder if it might have been dropped onto the spar with a fullish load of fuel. Those spars are relatively stout, but if one were to drop a laden tank onto the right rear of the tank, a crease like that might result.

Pure speculation on my part.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
opc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
opc

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:37 am

JohnA wrote:
I noticed an inperfection in my 2014 sometime after I had it but it's something that only the owner would probably notice. After a year and about 3500 miles (now), one of the stripes on the tank has developed a bubble under it. It appeared as if the installer stretched the tape (stripe) to hard and it started pulling up where the tank changes elevation. But the tank has to have expanded somehow - damn ethanol. I got with MPH Cycles where I bought it and Mike ordered me a new set of factory stripes. The original ones seem to have a clear coat over them. Don't know what we'll do about that, probaby nothing. Glad to be close to MPH here in Texas.

Similar bubbling on one of my stripes, but mine is up near the key. Unfortunately not covered by warranty, but also not very visible. I was going to try to pierce the bubbles with a needle as mine are not clear-coated. Sad
Back to top Go down
king Rich
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
king Rich

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:09 pm

I have been looking at my new to me 2013's tank from the day I got it with 2330 on the clock. This tank has more bumps and bulges, ( (mostly on the right side?)thought it had been in a wreck and re painted. Yet the rest of the bike is pristine. I almost walked away from the deal, but the price was right. I am not happy about it, yet the cause being corn soaked fuel gives piece of mind as to the cause.
So wish there was a solution though.
Really bothers me when others point it out, then I start it up and all is forgotten! What a bike.
Back to top Go down
ronbo10
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ronbo10

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:05 pm

Update:

I'm the OP of this thread, and I've coppied and pasted a good bit of a post to another thread just to make this one a little more tidy, tying up the loose ends for those with this issue.

I brought my GRiSO in to FBF who after inspecting agreed a warranty submission was in order. Moto Guzzi honored the claim, and FBF had the new tank on it as of last week, just haven't been able to break away to pick the bike up yet. Who's to say though that the same won't recur in the future. It seems to me that MG, Ducati, et al that use this nylon polymer product for their gas tanks need to come up with a material that works for all of their markets.

For what it's worth, the gal that handled the claim told me that when the tank material starts to break down on the inside (which is what's causing the bubbling on the outside) it can release particulates into the fuel, potentially clogging the fuel injectors etc and any number of associated problems. FBF have been a MG and Ducati dealer for pretty much ever, so I'm guessing they know what they're talking about here.  

Still, it doesn't seem to be a problem that every GRiSO owner has had to deal with, and hopefully I'll get better service out of this new tank (i.e. a tank that lasts the life of the rest of the bike).

Good luck to all of you who have (or end up having) this issue. Hopefully my experience with the warranty claim will prove to be representative of what one with this issue can expect. Once your GRiSO is out of warranty though, all bets are off, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:40 am

I have 2 Grisos (07, 13) and used to own a 09...
No tank problems ever. I run nothing less than 93 octane and try to use non ethanol gas as much as I can...
Maybe it's why...can't be sure.
Back to top Go down
king Rich
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
king Rich

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:55 am

not sure, do they use ethanol in FL?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:15 pm

Yes. A lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service   What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What a pisser. Dent in my gas tank cover after 900 mile service
Page 1 of 1