GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

How about this for an exhaust.

Go down 
+21
bjor
evansnows
Bulldog9
IamSpartacus
Grisonut
Osi
lcjohnny
MrButter
Gobovic
austin_22
Midlifecrisis
Charlie J
ronbo10
Steak
keenerkeen07
beetle
Pete Roper
Daves-i-Know
Street
KevinEmpire
Lemppari
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:58 am

My Termignoni developed cracks extending the slots in the pipe clamp mounting.
That it is why it is "resting" whilst i enjoy the baroque looks of the an original figure-8 pipe.

Steak likes this post

Back to top Go down
Osi
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Osi

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:16 pm

Laughing
Pete Roper wrote:
The one thing Mark missed mentioning is the fact that unlike the vast majority of modern 'Performance' heads the Guzzi head is a cross-flow rather than a downdraught design. The incoming and outgoing charges have mass and therefore inertia, they want to keep travelling in a straight line.

With the long valve overlap, at certain engine speeds particularly, the narrow included valve angle actively encourages charge transition and any incoming mixture that rushes straight across the top of the piston and fucks off out the exhaust valves is not only wasted but is doing unnecessary damage to the environment and costing decent beer money! What a prick of an idea!

If you look at the results of some of the worshippers at the shrine of loud pipes and power commanders one thing that is almost universally stated is that the bikes are "Really smooth" but they "Drink juice!". This is usually glossed over by stating that it doesn't matter because the owner "Didn't buy the bike for economy and performance costs." I'm sorry, this is frogshit! Good performance and decent fuel economy are NOT mutually exclusive. The smoothness and high fuel consumption have nothing to do with 'Performance' and everything to do with waste and poor tuning!

Gakk!

PS. The Cali 1400 uses a 2-into-2 system with effectively the same engine. If you put loud pipes on one of those it sounds like it's been hit with a drunken shit-stick too.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:31 pm

austin_22 wrote:
I've just put on a GPR can for my '13 1200. It sits a bit high (too close to my turn indicator) so I may have to look at tweaking it a bit, but............... The sound is amazing, at idle and at high revs. Throaty, tough, but not so loud that I am uncomfortable. Of course, it's tuned for 8V 1200, so performance is good and it is noticeably lighter. I almost feels faster and more agile.

Pics and a video with sound to follow. Sorry, my computer skills are lame. [img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have the same slip on and indeed, it was way too close to the turn signal. I basically shortened the mid pipe by 3 inches and have a local welder TIG it together. So now, not only it clears the turn signal but I can also run my GIVI hard bags. Me happy...

Bill Dee likes this post

Back to top Go down
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:40 pm

Not sure if the 2-to-1 exhaust design is the main culprit robbing the GRiSO of the deep tone and throb. I had a '98 Buell Cyclone (1200cc Harley V-twin) that had an exhaust bass note you could feel in your chest and all Buells run 2-to-1 pipes, with the silencer under the bike.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:45 pm

Steak wrote:
It's the 2 into 2 that creates that beautiful V11 sound.  2 into 1 systems will never make a comparable sound.  2 into 1 exhausts on the 1200 8V motors are more barking NASCAR V8 than that gorgeous throbbing tone you hear from a 2 into 2 (cross-over, non-merged pulse)

Even that two canned outfit from Germany suffers the same fate as the exhaust tracks from cylinder to can are not truly separate but merge then split under the bike..

A true 2 into 2 custom set-up is the only way to find the true "basso profundo."

Exactery...... I have an Agostini HF on my GRiSO. Sounds good, but not the boomy V8. I've run it with and without the DB reducer. I prefer the sound of the pipe without the DB reducer, but it kills midrange and low torque. I put it in and out based on my mood. Just thinking about the off throttle blatt and 7K bratt makes my hair stand on end.... This is on an 1100, not the 4V can o rocks sounding 8V...... ;-)

I have the Mistral Oval on my 1200 Sport, and Mistral Street on my Stornello. They sound good with a decent tone, little drone and a deepish burble, but NONE of them have the V8 sounds of my Convert which has a Bassa Stainless system. Truly addicting in the aural experience.

I have heard a Zard and a Terignoni on a GRiSO, and think they sound better than any AGO or Mistral.
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:38 pm

When I bought my GRiSO (1200 8v) I expected her to be too tame sounding and that I'd be looking for a replacement muffler.
In fact though I like the sound, restrained but you can sense the power and good vibes when I twist the throttle.
It was, in silver though, too in your face and it is heavy, though with 1200 cc the power to weight ratio isn't an issue.

To keep the original, which I think complements the style of the GRiSO, I painted it with satin black high temp paint and shimmed it 19mm in toward the back wheel.

This led by degrees to the whole bike having black and burgandy theme. I have to admit I bought the GRiSO because I love the look
and have spent more time on aesthetics than performance. The result though works for me.

The bike when I bought her
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

How she looks today

lcjohnny, Doc., bjor and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:49 pm

Damn fine looking bike Evans. You need to re-clip that brake line though... Very Happy

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:28 am

Very nice indeed!
Wonder what it looks like from behind with the muffler closer to the wheel...?
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:24 am

Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:07 am

Thanks for spotting that. Don't know if I didn't notice to clip it up after greasing the swingarm or if it fell off. Anyway just clipped it back up and will cable tie it in place later today.

A couple of mods I did after the photos.
Polished the tappet covers

The heated grips are very hard and I was getting numb palms on longer rides. I tried grip puppies but they were too bulky. Next idea was leather ones, I found a colour that matched the bike and they are a nice touch. They'll take a bit of looking after compared to plastic but that's one of the prices I pay for customising the bike.

Little things like changing the red tank badges to black ones really make a difference. As you can see I've replaced the speedo / rev counter with an Acewell unit and the left handlebar switch with a more conventional one with the indicators above the horn button
and off, parker, headlight options.

Whether the leather wraps will have solved the problem remains to be seen. If not I'll look at handlebar risers.

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:33 am

Thanks for the inspiration Smile
You're also a decent photographer, by the way...
Back to top Go down
whitmire
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
whitmire

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:30 am

Hello Evans,Very nice looking,tastefully done bike. In the as bought photo it has the original "device"(peg?),for lack of a better term,to lower the sidestand. Further down in the front view photo it has a "triangular" device in place on the sidestand. Could you provide more details relating to that part as the stock one requires some effort for me to locate on my scooter.
Thanks,Philip
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:31 am

I chose the GRiSO because I love Italian bikes and the styling to me looked unique, classic and customisable.
I felt that carbon fibre wrapping the exposed frame rail would look neat and went from there

I worked on cleaning up the odd bits and that bent coathanger on the side stand was one
that had to go.

I fashioned the traingular replacement from stainless steel and drilled through the side stand into tapped holes in the stainless steel. I bolted it in place as well as epoxy glueing it.

It was only when I started working on the sidestand that I realized it was aluminium not steel.
If Id realized that earlier I would have used anodised aluminium rather than stainless steel.

I still have to look for it to kick it down but it it easy enough to use. If you make your own you can
keep playing with shapes and positions until you find a solution that works for you.

If you use aluminium you can drill and tap to experiment with shapes and positions then when you've
got it the way you want weld it to the sidestand.

That was the plan with the stainless steel when I assumed the sidestand was steel.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:33 pm

I've had an Agostini HF on my 1100. Very happy with it. I run the DB killer in most days, but occasionally pull it when just tooling around and not doing serious riding as it kills the midrange response. DB in it sounds good and is loud but not so much you'd regret it after a full day's riding. Out and it is brappy, loud, and obnoxious. PERFECT for commuting or city riding.....

Hard on my eyes........... But will make nice wall art in my retirement garage wall

Much more better. aesthetically I like the Zard, but this works fine.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:51 pm

Just came across this while looking at what's available locally. No idea of the make (I've posted a query)
but looks smart.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:05 am

Looks sharp indeed, but I wouldn't want to be the pillion rider...

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:48 am

Yep, no panniers, move the indicators etc. It would only suit a solo rider who doesn't carry luggage.

If it sounds as good as it looks and I wanted to sportify my GRiSO (I don't !) I'd be checking them out.
It's the only version I've seen that looks like its made for the bike.

This is the listing if anyone is interested NZ$9,500
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:51 am

This thread has reminded me that I need to try and record the sound my Stelvio Exhaust makes.
To me, riding it (always with Earplugs), it sounds 'nice'.
A little louder than the original (De-Catted) Silencer Battleship Anchor, but not annoying to others.
I've been told by others (behind me) that it sounds 'Awesome'.

2004 Yamaha R1 Titanium Cans with a home-made Splitter Pipe, original Y-Piece.

paulbrice likes this post

Back to top Go down
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:56 pm

Evansnows, what high temp paint did you use for your exhaust? VHT? I was contemplating going that route, but know VHT paint is finicky and often flakes at the headers. DEI makes an exhaust wrap that you then paint to seal, but I'd rather not use wrap if I don't have to.
Back to top Go down
knumbnutz
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
knumbnutz

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:15 am

My two into two which has a join under the gearbox.

O2 sensor is where the two pipes are connected internally.

The pipes are about the same as the termi that was on there but the termi with beetle map didnt like 3-4K RPM whereas the 2-2 is strong from 3K rpm.
The also don't pop as much as the termis when you get off the throttle.

Side be side with my (2)friends 1200 Grisos (one pictured) and mine is like 5% better accelerating. No idea on fuel economy, i dont look at it and don't go on more than a few hours ride through the hills near home. Also can't comment on dyno figures before and after the change but it certainly runs better than both of my friends grisos.

My main reason for the pipe change is to free up the view of the back wheel and get a better note as i really didnt like the 2into1
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:10 am

Can't see how something like that would work at lower crank speeds and wider throttle openings but if you like it? Great! Are you running a closed loop map with it?
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:29 am

evansnows wrote:
. . . As you can see I've replaced the speedo / rev counter with an Acewell unit . . .

I take it from that, that the GRiSO Dash doesn't control anything like the Stelvio item does?
Back to top Go down
knumbnutz
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
knumbnutz

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:36 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Can't see how something like that would work at lower crank speeds and wider throttle openings but if you like it? Great! Are you running a closed loop map with it?

Not sure tbh... i will check though. Its been 4years since i had the PC plugged in but will have look on the weekend.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:01 pm

Doc. wrote:

I take it from that, that the GRiSO Dash doesn't control anything like the Stelvio item does?

No, the GRiSO dash functions the same as the Stelvio dash, other than fuel level, etc. I'm pretty sure Evans has his GRiSO dash still connected. It's just hidden away.

Regardless, you can disconnect a GRiSO dash and the engine will still run. You just lose your indicator control and air pressure sensor.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:39 pm

Ah, OK.
Did think about that option, but didn't think there'd be enough room on the GRiSO.
For such a huge Bike, the Stelvio is remarkably lacking in space (internally) for extra gizmos.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How about this for an exhaust.   How about this for an exhaust. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How about this for an exhaust.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next