GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Gas splashing during fill up?

Go down 
+10
Steak
pokeyjoe
H-E-ROSS
Guzzi Cat
MrBob
keenerkeen07
wardentm
beetle
Pete Roper
Tozim
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Tozim
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Tozim

Gas splashing during fill up? Empty
PostSubject: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:22 pm

It seems that the combination of small tank and the shallow shape of the tank causes gas to splash out of the fill hole at every refueling for me, regardless of how I am angling the nozzle. What do you guys do to deal with this? I'm thinking I may have to start wrapping some paper towel around the fill hole to stop gas from getting all over the top of my tank.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:07 pm

Do Canadian bowsers not have some sort of control mechanism linked to flow rate? Bigger squeeze? Bigger flow? Smaller squeeze? Less flow?

If not OK. If they do this would have to be pretty close to the top of the list of 'First World Problems' Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:23 pm

scratch

Is this a trick question?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:35 am

No probs here, just slow down towards the top
I can forsee the issue if one was to just open up the nozzle and let it go until the auto stop stop's the flow
Just take your time, go slow, and there should be no issue.
Ciao
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:32 am

No problem here either , never had any splash back (Western Canada ) Wink

maybe its because you voted Liberal Razz
Back to top Go down
MrBob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrBob

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:38 am

I would not be to concerned with the small tank and the shallow shape, some fill holes tend to splash prematurely, to prevent this, it's best not insert to far at an angle and apply only gentle pressure to the lever. Once the fill hole is full, its best to pull out, wrap paper towel around nozzle and give a short shake. Then go pay.

That's wot the Ukrainian girl said as well! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:11 pm

MrBob wrote:
I would not be to concerned with the small tank and the shallow shape, some fill holes tend to splash prematurely, to prevent this, it's best not insert to far at an angle and apply only gentle pressure to the lever. Once the fill hole is full, its best to pull out, wrap paper towel around nozzle and give a short shake. Then go pay.

That's wot the Ukrainian girl said as well! Shocked

When reading this I think I felt my nozzle move!! just a little Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tozim
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Tozim

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:05 pm

Lol I guess there are such things as stupid questions Laughing

I have tried quite a few things - inserting at angle, inserting all the way, squeezing lighter, etc.

Usually I try inserting the nozzle about an inch deep, let it fill till auto-shutoff, then lift the nozzle up and fill up the to rim with the lightest pressure on the lever I can manage and 9 out of 10 times I get splashback all over the tank.

Never had this issue on my Ninja 500 or VFR800.

I guess I could just not fill up to the brim, but given the small tank and meh mileage, I like to try to get as much gas as possible on long trips at each stop.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:11 pm

It's not that hard. I hold the nozzle at full rip with the tip just below the top of the fill hole. When it gets close to full, go to little squirt mode until it's up to the brim. If you wanna get it chockers, sit on bike so the tank is vertical. A wee spittle of petroleum might splash out, but it never goes onto the tank.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:13 pm

The manual says to fill to below the neck. Just saying...
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
pokeyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:47 pm

Try a different pump or gas station. Some pumps are a nightmare, some are very easy. If the styles of pumps vary, find a style that works for you for future reference.
Back to top Go down
Tozim
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Tozim

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:05 pm

Hmm good call, I stick to Shell as they have ethanol free gas, plus extra cashback on my credit card. However I do recall the few times I filled up elsewhere, the pumps seemed to be lower pressure.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:39 pm

H-E-ROSS wrote:
The manual says to fill to below the neck. Just saying...

Piffle! There, I said it. Razz

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:53 pm

The real problem is the tiny filler hole. I couldn't believe that giant fixture on the top of the tank revealed such a small opening! I don't look forward to filling at a station that still has vapor recapturing filler nozzles. (a past requirement in my state, since repealed)
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:59 pm

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:39 pm

I'm still having trouble believing that this is really a topic thread....and that there have been

14 replies to it! D'oh! 15! Laughing
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:18 pm

I used to have a bit of splashback, The SE filler hole........

The 09's filler hole, modified by Ron. I can fill it to the brim quickly as it allows the air to escape faster = no splash back, but unless I ride immediately it does vent fuel which leaves a puddle in front of the rear tyre, and it freaks out the service station attendants

Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:37 am

I can't believe this thread is now replete with images! I am happy to report I have now fueled my 8VSE TWICE with out spilling or splashing a drop. My second fill-up was with one of those PITA vapor recapturing nozzles to boot. Manhood retained!
Back to top Go down
Tozim
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Tozim

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:10 am

Well, so I am not the only one experiencing it then if someone has gone so far as to modify their filler hole for this problem.

Not sure what to tell the guys that think this thread is a joke, maybe stop clicking in here and reading it? Rolling Eyes

Ron, what about the mod causes it to vent gas? Does it do it while riding or just immediately after fillup?
Back to top Go down
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:31 am

Tozim wrote:
Well, so I am not the only one experiencing it then if someone has gone so far as to modify their filler hole for this problem.

Not sure what to tell the guys that think this thread is a joke, maybe stop clicking in here and reading it? Rolling Eyes

Hey, Tozim, don't take us too seriously, were just taking the piss.  Smile

We all have suffered from unsightly discharge at some point in our lives!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:46 pm

All nozzles are different (ask any woman...), you'll figure out the angle of the dangle that will work for each and every one. We're men after all, playing with our nozzles is second nature!

Filler modification is hardly necessary.

Experiment with depth of insertion, entry angle, and flow rate. It's all birds and bees!

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:38 pm

Steak wrote:
All nozzles are different (ask any woman...), you'll figure out the angle of the dangle that will work for each and every one.  We're men after all, playing with our nozzles is second nature!

Filler modification is hardly necessary.

Experiment with depth of insertion, entry angle, and flow rate.  It's all birds and bees!

Yes , all of this is true. I only modified mine be cause of a favourite fill up point had a bowser with a shitty nozzle that was hard to feather, either full open of off. If you fill much past the plastic insert you are covering the fuel vent holes at the back of the tank, and mine at least will piss fuel out the breather pipe and onto the ground. ( no epa shit on Aus bikes) Riding between towns here sometimes is a bit of a stretch for the Grisos tank capacity, and I have on occasion filled to the brim and ridden straight away, Even carried an extra couple of litres in my pack.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:04 pm

H-E-ROSS wrote:
The real problem is the tiny filler hole. I couldn't believe that giant fixture on the top of the tank revealed such a small opening!

Reminds me of a girlfriend I had...
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:10 pm

Lucky bastard !!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Laker
Biondino
Biondino
Laker

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:58 am

There are folks that trim (to increase the diameter) the filler hole on other bikes to prevent backsplash. The GRiSO doesn't give me issues but my scooter is damn near impossible not to overfill. The new Tuono creates a lot of mist as well.

Riding in Arkansas recently I found myself at a couple of filling stations that had no cut off for the pump and the flow rate was higher than any I've seen. It was like filling a gas tank with a small fire hose.

This thread will never die!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gas splashing during fill up?   Gas splashing during fill up? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Gas splashing during fill up?
Page 1 of 1