GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO Fairing

Go down 
+65
BobW981
bhattman
SMTCapeCod
GuzziLooper
tsheep2
Evans
Azdave
KrisPL
tvboy
MalG
rsmike
markymark
Harald
knumbnutz
Nobleswood
alanlemansiv
kiwi dave
Omnis
The Dogfather
rick pope
bahamazoo
GHTE
cognosticator
paulbrice
DeepSpace
Papa Lazarou
kidsmoke
sideshowbob
davem
Dolebludging warmonger
HCSO617
EricS
wyno
Stubbie
moto
2highlander
Cantaloop
ronbo10
Birch
Bulldog9
rboe
Canyon Carver
JohnA
Oz1200Guzzi
waterbottle
sasa
GNORTS
supercoyote
Dilliw
NorthernProducer
Pete Roper
bioman
Bill Hagan
ScottMellor
Daves-i-Know
keenerkeen07
Blue
Lenz9753
H-E-ROSS
beetle
Grisonut
Cereal KLR
Street
Steak
sidrat
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Fairings
Yes, as it makes the bike more practical
GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 I_vote_lcap21%GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 I_vote_rcap
 21% [ 42 ]
Yes, but just one of those small screens
GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 I_vote_lcap53%GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 I_vote_rcap
 53% [ 105 ]
No, Just ride the bike at a speed where you don't need one
GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 I_vote_lcap3%GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 I_vote_rcap
 3% [ 6 ]
No, just man up!
GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 I_vote_lcap23%GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 I_vote_rcap
 23% [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 199

AuthorMessage
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:22 am

sideshowbob wrote:
Here is the installation instructions for the Puig. I only needed a 1/4" spacer, not included, for each side for fitment.
[SNIPPED]

My concern of these headlight fairings come from my youth, when faired bikes were the minority, and aftermarket options were the headlight / handlebar fairing. These tended to have instability problems, in particular at higher speeds.  The extra loading on the forks area badly affected the steering.  The solution, in those days was frame mounted fairings.  I accept that likes and dislikes can be very much a personal choice.  
My question for those that have fitted fairings, how do they perform eg. above 100mph (disclaimers permitted  Cool ), and in adverse weather conditions?

Bob
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:48 pm

I have tried several different fairings.

1. Guzzi GRiSO ‘big’ screen
2. Dart Piranha
3. Dart Marlin
4. Stryker (current)

All stable up to $1.60+

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:37 pm

beetle wrote:

I have tried several different fairings.

1. Guzzi GRiSO ‘big’ screen
2. Dart Piranha
3. Dart Marlin
4. Stryker (current)

All stable up to $1.60+

Mark,  after reading through this tomb of a thread, it was particularly you I had in mind.  Great work with the cardboard cut-outs 👍

In amongst the thread I saw the link for the retro fairings, and somebody’s warning that they won’t fit.
I particularly like the below:

This is reminiscent of the Le Mans fairing on my Laverda 750, and can’t help myself but I’ll have to run the rule over my GRiSO to see if it’s possible by frame mounting the fairing, and moving the headlight forward a little??  🤔
My initial thought is that it caters for an 8” headlight… could be an excuse to play with LED’S  😂

Bob

groundhog105 likes this post

Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:43 pm

I was at a buck 30 today, stable. I will say the best high speed screen I have used was the MRA speed screen. Kind of fuggly, but it earned its name.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:15 pm

One of the main reasons I like the 'Big' factory screen is that while it does offer some wind protection it also actively discourages me from cruising at elevated velocities for long.

Apart from the fact I'm very aware of my age, slowing reactions and increasingly poor judgement there is the fact that if I were to get pinged doing the old 'Ton' the fine would be eye-watering, they'd take my licence off me for years and might even crush my bike and throw me in the chokey, (Although the latter two are unlikely.). None of that sounds like much fun..........
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30 pm

snot fun AND the places where one might do that are decreasing at an alarming rate. Couple that with LIDAR and a blokes a gonner.

Better to cruise just a smidgen of 8 km/h of the exchange rate "should" have you reasonably safe. But, then again, sometimes throttle control is driven by the heart, instead of the head (aka temporary insanity).
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:30 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Apart from the fact I'm very aware of my age, slowing reactions and increasingly poor judgement there is the fact that if I were to get pinged doing the old 'Ton' the fine would be eye-watering, they'd take my licence off me for years and might even crush my bike and throw me in the chokey, (Although the latter two are unlikely.). None of that sounds like much fun..........

For me it’s not an age thing, but as I travel around the UK I am increasingly hyper-aware of potential enforcement activities possibly to the detriment of rider safety.
It’s also the same here, ‘ton-up’ is such a huge tipping point for the courts when the miscreant’s fate is decided. Gulp!

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
snot fun AND the places where one might do that are decreasing at an alarming rate. Couple that with LIDAR and a blokes a gonner.

LIDAR… to me means Ground Penetrating Radar?  Can’t think of anything relating to Speed Enforcement.

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Better to cruise just a smidgen of 8 km/h of the exchange rate "should" have you reasonably safe. But, then again, sometimes throttle control is driven by the heart, instead of the head (aka temporary insanity).

Over here playtime increasingly means lesser spec roads which aren’t subject to Policing, and in turn means lower top speeds.  It’s a speed thing, they’ll never understand  Crying or Very sad

Bob
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:26 pm

Bob, over here RADAR has largely been replaced by LIDAR as the speed enforcement tool of choice for our boys in blue.

RADAR does have some issues - some years ago I had a KR11 (for work purposes of course) and clocked a gum tree doing 80 km/h - looked planted to me but what the heck would I know. Radar tends to pick up the faster speed and if you are in the front of the line you cop it. LIDAR is a little more fancy and will tell you which vehicle (in fact all of the vehicles in frame) is the culprit. Only thing in our favour is LIDAR takes about 3 seconds to get its act together - maybe that's the time judicious use of your front brakes can count - well they are there for emergencies mainly, I like engine braking.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:41 pm

Yup, laser speed checks are tough to argue against. Vehicles are specifically targeted from the jump. If you're speeding and your on-board detector pings a laser signal, just pull over and wait... It's more of a citation identifier than a heads up to slow down.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:07 pm

Mine came with "Isotta".   Is that the OEM supplier?  
The LED is positioned a little aft of the leading edge of the shield- so the edges illuminate in a way that appeals to my 80s sensibilities.
Works as you'd expect from the size/shape- no protection for hands, can feel wind on shoulders and upper part of helmet, protects chest.  At normal, subsonic speeds..  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Not sporty, but it 'blends' pretty well for everyday commuting.  After perusing threads here I bought one of the EMGOs, but not sure I have the motivation to swap.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:21 am

Bob, the quarter fairing you show would probably require moving the head light and using clip on or different lowered bars. I like the old school fairing look too.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:19 pm

I pulled the previous-owner-installed MRA touring windscreen off after struggling with the thing not staying in the position I set it in and it beating me up with turbulence at speeds of about 70MPH (113kph) and above. I’m trying out a Slipstreamer SS-28 ($200 or so, USD). It was sitting a bit high upon intial fit-up with about 2.5 inches (65mm) between the headlight rim and the bottom of the screen, but the riding behind it was quite smooth for me and stable at 85+ MPH. For my passenger it’s thus far been wretched at speeds over 50MPH.

Today I trimmed the lower wings off and lowered it by 2.5 inches. I may try to move it back just a bit but that will require a bit more trimming around the fork tubes. Here’s a composite photo, for better or worse. There’s about 12mm clearance above the side covers at full lock on the handlebars. Ignore the pink seat, it’s in the second phase of reworking and still needs a few more hours of riding before it is covered.

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:33 am

I find the Dart Marlin does not reduce stability at all (i have been as expensive as £1.25)
But the GRiSO is a big bus and mine has a podgy bugger sat on it (100Kg)

The Dart Marlin is not an immense fairing and does not stop wind rain or muck on your visor

But it keeps the instrument pack dry and looks cool (imho)
Back to top Go down
Moto degs
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Moto degs

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:48 pm

Ignore the pink seat,

How?????
Ow, my eyes.
🤪
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:27 pm

A quick text update… I’ve stripped the front indicators off.  Offered the Givi A800N fairing (for Guzzi V7 Stone), it fits nicely around the headlight, and may need attention to its fit over the throttle cable?

The supplied V7 fitting kit has brackets on each side that use a combination of the indicator mount, and the headlight bolt.  These brackets are different to the V7, and need alterations fabricating.
The fairing has a 3rd fixing, from below the centre ie under the headlight.  They supply a plate intended to fit under the V7’s lower triple clamp. The forks on the GRiSO are wider set, and this plate willl need modifying.

I won’t be reusing the OEM indicators, shall replace them with LED fittings, possibly bar-end disc indicators from Motogadget.
After a winter of frustration with no progress, I can see light at the end of the tunnel 😊

Bob
ps. Pics to follow

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:41 am

SMTCapeCod wrote:
Mine came with "Isotta".   Is that the OEM supplier?  
The LED is positioned a little aft of the leading edge of the shield- so the edges illuminate in a way that appeals to my 80s sensibilities.
Works as you'd expect from the size/shape- no protection for hands, can feel wind on shoulders and upper part of helmet, protects chest.  At normal, subsonic speeds..  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Not sporty, but it 'blends' pretty well for everyday commuting.  After perusing threads here I bought one of the EMGOs, but not sure I have the motivation to swap.

Neat Smile
By the way, how did you get your exhaust pipes black?
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:46 am

BobW981 wrote:
A quick text update… I’ve stripped the front indicators off.  Offered the Givi A800N fairing (for Guzzi V7 Stone), it fits nicely around the headlight, and may need attention to its fit over the throttle cable?

The supplied V7 fitting kit has brackets on each side that use a combination of the indicator mount, and the headlight bolt.  These brackets are different to the V7, and need alterations fabricating.
The fairing has a 3rd fixing, from below the centre ie under the headlight.  They supply a plate intended to fit under the V7’s lower triple clamp. The forks on the GRiSO are wider set, and this plate willl need modifying.

I won’t be reusing the OEM indicators, shall replace them with LED fittings, possibly bar-end disc indicators from Motogadget.
After a winter of frustration with no progress, I can see light at the end of the tunnel 😊

Bob
ps. Pics to follow

Givi A800N with fairing held in place. It’s all personal choice, but I like the look of this Givi on the GRiSO. It fits well, and a bonus is there’s space to raise the bars by 25-50mm.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bob
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:24 pm

I like that!

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:36 am

bjor wrote:

Neat Smile
By the way, how did you get your exhaust pipes black?

The prior owner had them powder coated when installing a GTM shortie.  I first jettisoned the muffler, an Arrow carbon fiber unit, and now am waiting for a factory 'pretzel' (and shield) to get back from the powder coater here.  Will probably keep the Agostini on it.

Initial pic, the 800N looks good. I look forward to installed and side shots.  I have one on my V7, looks decent though I wish it was pitched back a few more degrees for that install.  I had the Givi painted matte and then used some protective wrap to add a stripe.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:30 am

SMTCapeCod wrote:
Initial pic, the 800N looks good. I look forward to installed and side shots.  I have one on my V7, looks decent though I wish it was pitched back a few more degrees for that install.  I had the Givi painted matte and then used some protective wrap to add a stripe.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The V7 fitting kit will help. The side brackets into the indicator / headlamp mounts fit reasonably, but not quite right. With changes to the mid ‘rods’, I can adjust the position / angle of the fairing.  The lower brackets also need alterations, with which I can find an optimal position.  Another option could be to use a DB screen?

I do like the position of this fairing on your V7.  Colour-wise I’m leaning towards staying with Givi’s gloss black, which begs the question of changing the GRiSO’s matt black/red to match. Get the fit right, then choose a finish 😃
Back to top Go down
SorryOciffer
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
SorryOciffer

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:30 am

Daves-i-Know wrote:
I'm hoping that with a clip on for the odd touring

trip, I should be able to be a fairly non-buffeted human.

And finally, for the minimalist....

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

While I would not want that on a GRiSO, i'm strangely attracted this this one...
Back to top Go down
SorryOciffer
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
SorryOciffer

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:32 am

Street wrote:
Since I got my new 2013 Diavolo Nero I decided to take the plunge and order a Yamaha Stryker Bullet Cowl and see if it would work on the GRiSO. I'm pretty pleased with the results. And it functions well too. After I finished the install I took it out for a spin and found it to be a vast improvement over the naked bike. I'm looking forward to a longer test ride, but I did manage to take it up to 80mph on the freeway and it deflected the wind nicely. I also like that it comes in a matte black finish, a perfect match to the Diavolo Nero's paint scheme. And I think it compliments the GRiSO's lines nicely too, both from the front and sides and even from behind where its shape mirrors that of the handlebars. Biggest downside? Around $300 U.S.

The Yamaha brackets wouldn't work, but I fabricated some stainless steel struts like the ones I had used on the Givi fairings I'd had on the GRiSO Rosso. This provides a firm mount and eliminates any vibration. The lower edge is notched around the turn signals and this holds the bottom in place.

I hope you like it!

That is the nicest one I've seen yet on a GRiSO...
Back to top Go down
SorryOciffer
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
SorryOciffer

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:34 am

Dilliw wrote:
A screen or fairing just doesn't seem natural for a GRiSO, but they do have their purpose.  I chose the Deflector DX as 1) it's less than $100 US and 2) it comes off in seconds leaving just the handlebar mounts.  Me on nice Feb morning:

For an all clear, plexi one, I like that the best so far...
Back to top Go down
SorryOciffer
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
SorryOciffer

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:35 am

sasa wrote:
I installed a larger screen than a Dart Marlin today. Comfy, comfy!

Nice! Who makes this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Fairing   GRiSO Fairing - Page 13 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO Fairing
Page 13 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13