GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Roller tappet kits

Go down 
+5
Oz1200Guzzi
Bill Hagan
Street
Pete Roper
Steve Waller
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Waller
Carlotto
Carlotto
Steve Waller

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:28 am

Can someone (Pete?) provide some definitive advice on the difference between the A, B and C kits that are available for upgrading to roller tappets?

I understand that the C kit is for earlier four valve heads where the head needs to come off to shim the valves. However, not quite so clear on the difference between the B and A kits. I have a 2011 Stelvio which I believe needs the A kit. However, the B kit is quite a bit cheaper and the only difference I can see seems to be the provision of a seal for the spark plug hole in the rocker cover.

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:08 am

'C' kit consists of three sets of head gaskets, inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets, rocker cover gaskets and tampons, shims for the inlet valve spring seats and o-rings for the rocker covers as well as the new camboxes and assorted hardware.

'B' kit contains just camboxes and hardware plus rocker cover gaskets, o-rings and tampons. None of the gaskets required for replacing the heads after shimming and no shims.

'A' kit is the same as the 'B' kit apart from the fact that the camboxes are machined differently with th an o-ring groove at the bottom of the plug tunnel to accomodate the short tube used on later engines and the thicker neoprene gasket that seals the cambox to the rocker cover.

Your bike being a 2011 most likely requires a 'B' kit. The way to check is to look for a drilled 'Dot' in the paint on the inner face of the head next to the manufacturing date stamp and whether the plug tube is sealed by an o-ring or the later gasket. The dot in the paint indicates the valve Spring seats are already shimmed.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Steve Waller
Carlotto
Carlotto
Steve Waller

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:25 am

Thanks Pete, much appreciated as always.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Quick way to check.

If your rocker cover looks like this you need a 'B' or 'C' kit.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

if it looks like this it needs an 'A' kit.

To work out if it needs a 'B' or 'C' kit you need to check the heads for the dot in the paint.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:55 pm

So, if it has a severed fingertip, it needs a "B" or "C" kit?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:18 pm

Street wrote:
So, if it has a severed fingertip, it needs a "B" or "C" kit?

You owe me a new laptop, as mine is now covered in spewed beer.   Very Happy

Kathi -- who humors me, but usually isn't that amused by stuff I point out here or elsewhere -- had a similar reaction. queen

Bill
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:12 pm

Desired effect achieved! Cred for me!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:29 pm

Yup, more cred Pete +1
Back to top Go down
Williamblackett1968
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Williamblackett1968

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi, if the B and C kit camboxes are the same, could a B kit be upgraded to form a C kit buy purchasing the additional parts.

O-ring 26 x 2,5. (873626) 4 required
Valve gasket ring (436438) 4 required
Inlet vale spring shim (877847) 4 required
Note: instead of the shim there is a new valve spring (B013517), you use one or the other, not both.
Exhaust Gasket (976376) 2 required
Inlet Manifold gasket (873879) 2 required
check thickness of existing before ordering. 2 required.
GASKET CYLINDER HEAD 8V 0.65mm (874621)
GASKET CYLINDER HEAD 8V 0.85mm (874622)
GASKET CYLINDER HEAD 8V 1.05mm (976311)
B kit plus above parts above  works out considerably cheaper than buying the C kit.

I'm about to have my 2010 A7 engine sport checked and am looking for cost saving options if my tappets have failed and Piaggio wont provide the upgrade parts free gratis. advice appreciated
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Williamblackett1968 wrote:
Hi, if the B and C kit camboxes are the same, could a B kit be upgraded to form a C kit buy purchasing the additional parts.

Yes.

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Yup, I've basically covered that in another thread. The expensive bits are the head gaskets. Rather than buying all six I'd measure the ones that come off when you do the job and just buy those therefore saving yourself a bit of beer money.

Pete
Back to top Go down
jretanacr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jretanacr

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:39 am

Please some advice. My GRiSO has damage to its valves and rods due to the flat tappet problem. Does the kit include the rods and valves, or are they bought separately?
Back to top Go down
jretanacr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jretanacr

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 am

I've been having some trouble with the bike on idle. Could this be related to the tappet problem? The following are the pictures of my bike:

Back to top Go down
jretanacr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jretanacr

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:02 am

My rods

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:08 am

Don’t worry unduly about the rockers themselves, there’s plenty of surface area on the shaft surfaces. If you have any worries about them just give them a polish with fine wet and dry abrasive paper to remove any burrs.

As for the other parts? The tappets are toast and everything else is thrown away with them. The kit consists of complete camboxes, the only parts you re-use are the rockers.

Pete
Back to top Go down
jretanacr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jretanacr

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks Pete.
Back to top Go down
jretanacr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jretanacr

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Fri May 11, 2018 6:46 am

Im about to buy the parts for the conversion. Apart from the kit what else do I need to buy?
Back to top Go down
jretanacr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jretanacr

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Fri May 11, 2018 6:52 am

Any experience making a warranty claim from countries where the dealer warranty policies suck?
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Fri May 11, 2018 10:03 am

jretanacr wrote:
Im about to buy the parts for the conversion. Apart from the kit what else do I need to buy?

The only thing besides the C kit that my dealer charged me were 4 o-rings for the sparkplug tubes, and about 6€ worth of “small material” which I assume were just various screws and bolts.
Also you need new oil & an oil filter.
Back to top Go down
jretanacr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jretanacr

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks, so even if my tappets are done, I dont need to replace them right? Thats the point of the conversion. Its a chole new system.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1Fri May 11, 2018 11:21 am

Correct, the kit replaces the old ‘flat’ tappets with new roller tappets, which are included. You can see the contents of the C kit in my first post in this topic: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roller tappet kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roller tappet kits   Roller tappet kits Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Roller tappet kits
Page 1 of 1