12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Any GRiSO owners in SF Bay Area (CA USA) with a tappet roller upgrade?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GuZeee
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Any GRiSO owners in SF Bay Area (CA USA) with a tappet roller upgrade?   Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi, I am a new owner of a 2009 GRiSO 1200 8v in California, and I want to do the roller tappet upgrade before running on the flat tappets for too long (she has less than 7k miles at the moment). I am wondering if anyone in the San Fransisco Bay area has any experience with getting a free upgrade kit from local dealers? My closest dealership is in Livermore, but there's also one in San Francisco and Elk Grove that are not too far.

I realize there's no chance of getting free installation, but I'm hoping it might be possible to get the roller upgrade kit for free if an inspection of the tappets shows visible wear. I'd probably do the installation myself, unless the dealer could really convince me they'd do a great job of it at a sensible cost. I wonder if anyone has dealt with any of these dealerships on this issue and has an experience to share.

Any tips or stories would be much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Any GRiSO owners in SF Bay Area (CA USA) with a tappet roller upgrade?   Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:28 am

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller... Bueller...
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Any GRiSO owners in SF Bay Area (CA USA) with a tappet roller upgrade?   Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:26 am

I have no first or second hand knowledge, sorry. My buddy Don up in Loomis has had experience with the service department up at Elk Grove Powersports. The work done has been good for the most part after some growing pains following taking on the brand. Though he has had good things to say about the earnestness and honesty from the service team.

My guess is that you probably won't have a whole lot of luck with your strategy.  If Piaggio agrees to provide the rollerization bits free of charge, a condition for that transaction will be dependent upon installation by an authorized dealer/service agent.  If you want to do the conversion yourself, your going to have to bite the bullet and purchase the kit yourself.  In either scenario, it'll cost you somewhere in the $700-$1000 dollar range depending upon the kit cost or labor rates at the dealership for conversion.

Just an observation.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
GuZeee
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Any GRiSO owners in SF Bay Area (CA USA) with a tappet roller upgrade?   Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:13 am

Thanks for the reply!

That's a good point, any money I would save getting the kit for free would be taken up by installation costs, plus I'd also have to pay for the initial inspection to check for tappet damage. (And there's a chance they would say there's no damage and reject the claim).

It's sounding more and more like I should just go ahead and order the kit. I'm actually looking forward to doing the job, it looks like it would be fun and I'd really get to know this engine first-hand.

Back to top Go down
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Any GRiSO owners in SF Bay Area (CA USA) with a tappet roller upgrade?   Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:23 am

Doing it yourself is not hard at all. Just basic nuts and bolts stuff. Just make SURE you get the right roller kit for your bike! Or, like me, you'll get to practice the job twice and really get to know the engine on a first name basis.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Any GRiSO owners in SF Bay Area (CA USA) with a tappet roller upgrade?   Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Motormike wrote:
Doing it yourself is not hard at all.  Just basic nuts and bolts stuff.  Just make SURE you get the right roller kit for your bike!  Or, like me, you'll get to practice the job twice and really get to know the engine on a first name basis.

Thanks for the confirmation on this. I ordered the kit! From everything I've read, my 2009 GRiSO need the "C" kit, so that's what I got. I ordered it from here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Can't wait to do it, looks like it should be fun!
Back to top Go down

Any GRiSO owners in SF Bay Area (CA USA) with a tappet roller upgrade?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: