GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.

Go down 
+10
joecbr
DungeonMaster
wardest
pauldaytona
Uzidzit
Pete Roper
TalkingGriso
Guzziboy66
Steak
Grisonut
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Empty
PostSubject: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Since Givi doesn't make brackets for the GRiSO, I got a set that were made for a Honda VFR800 (cheapest) and modify them to fit the Guzzi.
The cases are the V35 line and they blend good on the 09 bike and it looked like that when I was done:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Much better looking than H&Becker Junior series IMO...

Fabrication process:

Unfortunately, I wrecked this thing last month and it's totaled but I want to buy it salvage...
In the meantime, I got a new Black Devil and I know the cases will transfer over but anyone had any long term experience with those as far as quality?
They seem well made but the clamping system to the supports is all plastic and I'm not thrilled about plastic stuff when strength is required.
I paid $400 for them new so I couldn't pass it up...
And Of course, the Copper molding with have to be silver now, lol.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:44 pm

I like it. Those are the best looking hard bags I've ever seen on the GRiSO, and GIVI quality is generally pretty dang good. The set of bags you've chosen there compliment the lines of the GRiSO quite nicely.

We're I to do something similar, I would try to find some ingenious way to employ some sort of quick release mechanism for the mounting brackets themselves. Bags and mounts on for multi-day travels, and the whole mess off for general GRiSO romping.

At any rate, I really like what you've done there.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Also, glad to see someone else making good use of the zephyr window in the pork chop. Pete does the same thing using an overhead winch in his fabrication studio.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:17 am

Grisonut wrote:
Since Givi doesn't make brackets for the GRiSO, I got a set that were made for a Honda VFR800 (cheapest) and modify them to fit the Guzzi.
The cases are the V35 line and they blend good on the 09 bike and it looked like that when I was done:
Much better looking than H&Becker Junior series IMO...

Fabrication process:

Unfortunately, I wrecked this thing last month and it's totaled but I want to buy it salvage...
In the meantime, I got a new Black Devil and I know the cases will transfer over but anyone had any long term experience with those as far as quality?
They seem well made but the clamping system to the supports is all plastic and I'm not thrilled about plastic stuff when strength is required.
I paid $400 for them new so I couldn't pass it up...
And Of course, the Copper molding with have to be silver now, lol.

WOW - I like that. I've been thinking about what I'll do when I finally get my GRiSO. I like what you did very much. Can you put up some more/better shots of how you modified the mounts? Thanks.

Eric
Back to top Go down
TalkingGriso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TalkingGriso

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:25 pm

I put about 15k miles on a set I had on my Versys. I loved those bags! Never had an issue with the mounts. The only problem was very minor: one of the screws for one retaining strap stripped (it was screwed into plastic), so I would have to hold that bag's lid while loading it, or else it would flop all the down to the ground.

The other drawback to the V35s is that they are VERY wide, but that is only a concern here in lane-splitting nirvana.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:00 pm

Same bags I have on my Manas. They are solid and robust but one thing I would warn of is the clip/locking mechanisms. Firstly they can be very stiff. I take them apart and lubricate them from time to time. The other problem I've had is when they are full and heavy, but not outrageously so, I've had the clip mechanisms that hold the bag to the upper bar of the frame burst open. When this happens the bag flops outwards hanging only on the engagement 'Tits' on the lower rail. Obviously if you are on a rough road and hit a bump or the bag s too heavy it will jump ship! I've never lost one but I have had them 'Flop'. My answer is very simple, I use a strap through the bag handle to either the bike or, in the case of the Mana, between the two handles and run it under the pillion seat which on that bike pivots up to allow  access to the fuel tank filler.

Generally though I've been very happy with them.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Steak:
I agree, best looking bags for the GRiSO...
And yes, I thought about doing a quick release on those where the bags and support would come out in one unit.
It also has to be sturdy so it'll take some thinking to do it right but I'm not gonna use those a lot so I won't make it a priority.
As for the zephyr window, I've been using those for just about anything I do to the bike, tire changes etc...

Guzziboy66:
I've got more pics of that fab somewhere on my puter...
I'll see what I can dig out for you.

TalkingGriso:
Yep, the whole ordeal is wide alright and for my 5.7 frame, a pain in the balls to climb on and off the bike, lol.
I also do lane splitting here in FL (although illegal) when morons hug both lane below the speed limit... ain't got time for idiots.

Pete:
This is exactly the post I was looking for...
As a hands on mechanic yourself, you understood my concern about all the plastic crap that should be made out of metal/allow. lol.
I will take those tips in consideration dearly. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks all for the compliments.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Here you go Guzziboy66:
A few pics of the fab from a set up that was made for a Honda VFR800.
The one on the left is untouched and you can see I started to work on the other one.

First thing was to cut the original arms off but not discard them as they'd be reused to fit the Guzzi, and weld a flat bar across the square bracket. It will be connected under the seat area from this by two more flat arms.

This pic shows the original undiscarded arms and the two under seat pieces ready to be welded to the square support.

And now the finishing product before painting.

Oh and for those that have welding skills... make sure that the battery is totally disconnected and the ECU off the bike!!
Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:01 am

Grisonut - Thanks very much for the detailed pics. You've given me much to contemplate. Thanks.

Eric
Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:24 pm

I perusing the MG Cycle website and found a ready-made albeit expensive mounting system for GIVI V-35bags on a GRiSO.

First you need the Stucchi luigi Lugage Rack for the GRiSO - $320.33
Then you need to order the GIVI saddlebag mount - $225.29
Sort of looks like crap and is expensive, But I'm thinking that I could remove everything when I don't plan to use bags.  Not really sure - just thinking out loud.

Eric
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:45 pm

98 vfr givi racks the cheapest...not in the usa.. they be rare and expensive kit here. I just got got $460 us for a complete givi wingrack off my 98 vfr. The fifth gen hard bag stuff has been discontinued a long time in the us and the fifth gen vfrs are becoming big time cult bikes and rightly so. Just mentioning because sometimes getting market price is better than modding old stuff laying around. and you may help a brother out in the process

you know like the guy that cut up a wixom buffalo cape fairing to mount on a xs-750, you found while you were beating your head against the wall looking for one for your old eldo Mad 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:07 pm

Anyone know if a Givi Monokey top box base can be fitted to that Stucchi luigi Lugage Rack?
Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Vince C wrote:
Anyone know if a Givi Monokey top box base can be fitted to that Stucchi luigi Lugage Rack?

I'll let you know in a week or two. I'm waiting for the rack. I have the case.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:54 pm

This is interesting as I have these same panniers, and a spare set, for the Mana. Having the option of hard luggage for the GRiSO and the rack for a box on the back would mean I might be able to persuade Jude onto the back of it!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:51 pm

Well on a whim I bought the complete kit from Stucchi. Looks like it'll be about $740 landed. May not fit with the Mistral but of that's the case I can put the Termi back on for when I go touring. We'll see, I'm sure I'll be able to make it work. If I can then I'll have a set of pannier racks and Teckno soft cases that will fit with an upswept pipe that'll be for sale.

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:22 am

Guzziboy66 wrote:
Vince C wrote:

I'll let you know in a week or two.  I'm waiting for the rack.  I have the case.

Ta. Where did you order the rack from?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:55 am

MG Cycle

This is the rack - Part Number: MG128:

Then you can add these for side cases - Part Number: MG128BM:
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:09 am

Guzziboy66 wrote:
MG Cycle

Expensise but best looking top rack out there...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks 66. Please let me know how you get on with fitting the Givi baseplate.

Cheers

PS - anyone know a UK source for that rack (tried Google - no luck)?
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:38 am

UK, why not stucchi direct?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

or this would be complete set with bags:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:17 pm

No pic with that one, its the one I purchased which means I'll now have three sets of their bags! I'd assumed I was just getting gouged on the rack and mounts in the time honoured Stucchi way....Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:24 pm

But pete, with the last link you get a rack, 2 cases and all mounting?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Looking at the Stucchi site I didn't get that. All I saw were various iterations of the rack and then the last one, 10957, which I assumed was just the rack and mounts. If I get another set of bags so much the better. One can never have enough spare bags! Very Happy

Pete

PS. Yes, I bought from Stucchi direct. Why go through a third party?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:05 pm

Grisonut wrote:
Guzziboy66 wrote:
MG Cycle

Expensise but best looking top rack out there...

What's involved in fitting this rack? Where do those sideways facing bolts locate to?
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:28 pm

The curcular, plastic punchout in the rear cowling grill.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.   Givi hard cases on a GRiSO. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Givi hard cases on a GRiSO.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next