GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Cam chain tensioner question

Go down 
+2
pauldaytona
Guzzi Cat
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jfortenbery
Carlotto
Carlotto

Cam chain tensioner question - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner question   Cam chain tensioner question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:53 am

Thanks, Pete! Makes perfect sense.

Here are pics of what I found on first side. I say, "first", because I'm not sure of L/R orientation. Is "left' and "right" based on rider's position or perspective from front of engine?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.fortenberyguitars.com
jfortenbery
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner question   Cam chain tensioner question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:55 am

This was the side with chain tensioner guide. What is the procedure (or the differences) in the other side for relieving chain tension? I don't recall seeing the drilling to install a locking pin...
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner question   Cam chain tensioner question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:47 pm

jfortenbery wrote:
This was the side with chain tensioner guide. What is the procedure (or the differences) in the other side for relieving chain tension? I don't recall seeing the drilling to install a locking pin...

Most people refer to the side you have done as the left hand side as you sit on the bike. This is the tricky one where you have to compress the tensioner plunger and insert the pin because it is located in the tunnel.

The other side is much easier as you don’t need to insert a pin. The tensioner plunger is located beneath a large capping nut (my best description at present) On the side of the right hand tunnel. Once you remove this cap with copper washer the tensioner plunger can be removed, just take note which way is up for re fitting.

No need for any compression with screwdriver on this side Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jfortenbery
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner question   Cam chain tensioner question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:52 pm

That's what I was afraid of!

The right side would be easier if I had a GRiSO. Maybe if I had a Stelvio. Not with a Norge. There's a LOT in the way, including tupperware, gas tank, airbox, etc.

Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner question   Cam chain tensioner question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:01 pm

It's still not a huge deal. Tank off and airbox out. Just be careful of the drain spigot at the rear of the airbox. It's easy to snap it getting the box out.

Pete
Back to top Go down
jfortenbery
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner question   Cam chain tensioner question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanks for the warning, Pete. So far ... so good. Tank off without mishap. Coaxed the quick disconnect to disconnect slowly.

What's the easiest place to separate the airbox from the throttle bodies? I've got the lines, elec connectors and bolts loose.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner question   Cam chain tensioner question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Just pull the airbox back off the TB's. Leave the snorkels to th TB's themselves in place in the airbox. The clamps will probably fall off but it's no big deal anthem you just hoick the whole wrecked thing as far back towards the abs pump as possible and up and it'll slide out just like pulling a greasy stick out of a dog's bum.

Pete
Back to top Go down
jfortenbery
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner question   Cam chain tensioner question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Once again, Pete, I bow to your experience and creative sharing of that experience!

Although I had dogs and I've had greasy sticks - I've never pulled a greasy stick out of a dog's bum. Nevertheless, I have a very clear mental picture of the process and this airboxectomy proceeed in a nearly identical manner.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner question   Cam chain tensioner question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Cam chain tensioner question
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2