GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Battery Reco...

Go down 
+11
eeyore
Paggers
PunkScout
MalG
greywolves60
Diablo Loco
optimummalarky
Pete Roper
Steak
Uzidzit
WCB
15 posters
AuthorMessage
WCB
Biondino
Biondino
WCB

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:32 am

So, I forgot to pull the main fuse out of Jacquie's GRiSO so that the battery wouldn't run down over the winter. Usually we get more riding in during the winter so it's never been an issue before.

I went to put the Battery Tender on it the other day and it wouldn't come up past 12.3 so that's the end of that I guess. Anybody got a battery that they've used that they like? I typically use Westco's on the bikes, but looking at their site, it doesn't appear they really have a good replacement as they one's listed for the "1200's" are only 14 ah, and if I'm not mistaken, the Stelvio and GRiSO use an 18 ah battery.

Thanks,

Doug

Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:11 am

motobatt MBTX16U is a good non leaking choice

Back to top Go down
WCB
Biondino
Biondino
WCB

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:08 am

Awesome. Thanks. Is the Motobatt an AGM battery?
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:59 am

WCB wrote:
Awesome. Thanks. Is the Motobatt an AGM battery?
it is a factory sealed agm type, the size is just a little off but it works out ok, been using one in the Stelvio
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:29 am

Yeah, those yellow MOTOBATTs are a good value.  I put one in my little Suzuki, good stuff.  The only issue for the GRiSO vs. the YUASA for eg., is that the MOTOBATT doesn't have a recess in the top to accommodate the locking bracket in the GRiSO's battery box.  It's no big deal as that battery isn't going anywhere, snugged in there.  Just make sure you store the "battery fixing plate" somewhere you won't lose it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:19 am

To be honest I have never had a problem with the standard batteries. Yes they aren't the cheapest but they fit, do the job and as long as they are put into service as per the instructions they will last very well. The biggest problem they have is that goons insist on simply pouring in the acid, flinging them in the bike and pressing the starter button. You have to let them sit for a period of time, (the manufacturer says a couple of hours but I always leave them overnight.) to allow the acid to be absorbed by the mats. Then they should be given a charge for a couple of hours before being put into service.

If they are used before the acid has a chance to be absorbed it just gets blown out of the cells all over the bike and the plates warp and short greatly reducing both the efficacy of the battery and its lifespan.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:02 am

In the us another alternative is the cycle gear blue gel batteries, they cost more like $200 but they have a goofy long lifetime replacement warranty (which they never make) so it is a buy once for life thing...if cycle gear has annoyed you, they are all over the place so that can be helpful.  I do not do this as I hate getting stranded CG batteries tend to die suddenly.

For really good Batteries Hard to beat Deka is hard to beat Better than yuasa (even the yuasa from japan factory)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
optimummalarky
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
optimummalarky

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:20 pm

Looking for some current advice on a replacement battery.  

My 2007 GRiSO has been down for a few months now with an electrical issue.  The current battery came with the bike when I bought it in December; I was told it was a recent purchase.  Still, the bike seems to only start occasionally.  

I did the startus interuptus upgrade, which worked for about a week before the problems returned.  

I've checked the battery terminals and the fuses, but everything looks good.  The only thing that seems off is that the battery is a 12volt/16ah and the owners manual calls for a 12volt/18ah -- would that make the difference in starting?

Should I just replace the battery to be sure?  Is there something else that would make the difference?

Side note: twice when the bike won't start, I've been able to push start it and ride it home.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:29 pm

Yes, it would.

Get a genuine YTX 20-CH BS and read the instructions before installing it!

There are other good options, Mark has a LiFe battery in his 1400, but avoid Motobatt and Katana.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:34 am

If you go the lithium Iron Phosphate route, SSB are great.  I have them in a few bikes.
I don't think they are a good idea in a bike used infrequently.  They are expensive and AFAIK cannot be run flat.
The GRiSO is a daily commute so the battery is perfect for it.

Tiny battery this model is the LH14-BS

Back to top Go down
optimummalarky
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
optimummalarky

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Anyone ever tried this battery: Antigravity ATX-20 ReStart 680CA Lithium Ion Battery?
Back to top Go down
greywolves60
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
greywolves60

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:13 pm

optimummalarky wrote:
Anyone ever tried this battery: Antigravity ATX-20 ReStart 680CA Lithium Ion Battery?  

I have NOT tried this battery BUT I HAVE tried the "XP-10 Micro-Start" jump box from Antigravity.
It MEANS NOTHING - BUT - I had it for about 1.5 years, used it 4-5 times and it's sitting in my garage swollen and UNUSABLE. Their warrantee is for 1 yr... After looking on line for more info, I found out this isn't unusual. Mad
"I" won't buy another product from Antigravity until I see a whole lot more POSITIVE feedback about their products, and this battery is a whole lot more $$$ EXPENSIVE $$$ than my jump box.
Just a heads up - do your due diligence BEFORE spending your money - UNLIKE myself. confused
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 pm

I, too, prefer the SSB Lithiums, but I don't think their retail exposure in the States is extensive. I would have thought they were ideal for long periods of storage - they have a long shelf life. I have a couple I bought for projects & still 13.3V after 3 years or so, the V7C (no parasitic draw) was left for 7 months one year, and started up on the second jab of the button. I have taken advantage of their free replacement policy once - had been in for a year & then wouldn't take a charge, tested & replaced free. Their high CCA rating works especially well for bikes with large flywheels to push around. The V7S regularly sits for a month or two, but starts up again just fine. Seems to be working well for me.
Back to top Go down
PunkScout
Carlotto
Carlotto
PunkScout

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:09 am

There is also that "zero G" brand lithium revzilla sells. Their big thing is they have some sort of of discharge circuit so if they are being drained it'll flip the breaker before they go completely flat, you just push a reset and they supposedly retain enough juice for you start the bike. If it works, it's a cool idea but holy shit they're like 400 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Paggers
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Paggers

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:36 am

I need to replace my battery.  Any one had any experience with JMT battereis?  They're a fair bit cheaper than the Yuasa, but are they as good.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:01 am

Mine was supplied new from the dealer with a JMT.
Fortunately MG replaced it FOC when it failed after 7 months.
In the UK exide supply an almost identical battery but Halfords will supply the correct Yuasa part. Search online and find the lowest price and then push Halfords for a price match.
If you get AGM don’t forget to let the battery stand overnight after the acid has been added. Then a top up charge before fitting.
Back to top Go down
Paggers
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Paggers

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:47 am

Thanks Eeyore. Think I'll give the JMT a miss then. I'd found the yuasa at Halfords, think I'll take your suggestion.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:09 am

I received my 2011 GRiSO in September and the PO had installed a SSB LiIon which was dead when my bike arrived.(He said he didn't ride it much since then due to flattie tappet fears but it was running two weeks before I got it) I purchased a Xtreme AGM 20CH-BS from Batteries Plus and it fit perfectly and has worked without issue so far.Time will tell about the life span but in my experience removing the battery and putting a 2ah charge on it for 24 hours before storage has usually resulted in batteries lasting 5 years or more. YMMV
Maybe this winter I'll just pull the 30amp fuse.Easier than removal.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:13 pm

optimummalarky wrote:
Looking for some current advice on a replacement battery.  

My 2007 GRiSO has been down for a few months now with an electrical issue.  The current battery came with the bike when I bought it in December; I was told it was a recent purchase.  Still, the bike seems to only start occasionally.  

I did the startus interuptus upgrade, which worked for about a week before the problems returned.  

I've checked the battery terminals and the fuses, but everything looks good.  The only thing that seems off is that the battery is a 12volt/16ah and the owners manual calls for a 12volt/18ah -- would that make the difference in starting?

Should I just replace the battery to be sure?  Is there something else that would make the difference?

Side note: twice when the bike won't start, I've been able to push start it and ride it home.

Follow Petes advice and get a better battery but also look at the size of the wire between the relay and solenoid it was woefully undersize on my 2007. I never had Startus Interuptus but with a larger wire my starter engages 3 x as fast
The 2007 won't benefit from an MPH kit because the Start Relay is already wired direct from a fuse.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
No Yellow wire on the relay of this model, its fed from fuse C
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:16 am

I fitted a motobatt 12 months ago , shit it's self, would not charge up over 11.7 so I just got another on warranty
I will try this one ....
Boy, what a go to get it replaced, they tried every trick to avoid giving me a new one ...
Cheers all
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:40 am

tvboy wrote:
I received my 2011 GRiSO in September and the PO had installed a SSB  LiIon which was dead when my bike arrived.(He said he didn't ride it much since then due to flattie tappet fears but it was running two weeks before I got it) I purchased a Xtreme AGM 20CH-BS from Batteries Plus and it fit perfectly and has worked without issue  so far.Time will tell about the life span but in my experience removing the battery and putting a 2ah charge on it for 24 hours before storage has usually resulted in batteries lasting 5 years or more. YMMV
Maybe this winter I'll just pull the 30amp fuse.Easier than removal.

That's the Dekka East Penn battery. I've been using them under various trade names in all of my vehicles without issues. Don't know if they are better or not except for the part about no issues.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:56 am

That's good to know. thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Battery Reco... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Battery Reco... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Battery Reco...
Page 1 of 1