GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Handle Bar Grips

Go down 
+3
guzziownr
Steak
JohnA
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Fri May 27, 2016 8:43 am

Need some advice please; I bought some new handlebar grips from Af1 while in Austin this week. It also gives me an opportunity to go in an look at the GRiSO they have and some of the other bikes....
Anyway, I searched the forum for advice but didn't see any and maybe because its way to simple for a task for most here.
Once I remove the bar end weights, is it OK to unthread the large insert that screws into the handlebar that the bar end weight attaches to? I don't know what happens once I unscrew it and try and take it out. It will make it much easier to get the billeted grips on to the bar. The grips I bought are below.
Also, what is the best way to get the new ones on? Spray with hairspray? (I think my golf buddies used to do that with their clubs too).
I plan to cut the old ones off. I have heard about the compressor method of trying to expand them but these have metal rings on each end which may make this a little more challenging. My GRiSO is a 2014

Many thanks and for those in the United States, Happy Memorial Day!

John

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Fri May 27, 2016 11:33 am

Well, you're going to run into a problem right off the bat.  When you cut off the throttle grip you will immediately notice the problem.  The tube has multiple ribs that correspond to the interior of the throttle grip.  In order to install your fancy pants grips you will need to either shave off all the ribs with a knife, Dremel tool, or a sander. So you may want to reconsider the cutting off part just in case you decide it's more trouble than it's worth. The other option would be to source a compatible standard throttle tube.

Once that is accomplished, installing with hairspray or something similar works just fine.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Fri May 27, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks Steak! I did read your post about heated grips and you did mention the ribbed throttle. AF1 also is nice enough to list that with all GRiSO and Aprilia bike grips.
So how much of a pain is it with a razor knife and sandpaper? In terms of time -since you did it?

Also, any issues removing the piece at the end of the handle bar that I mentioned in my original post that the bar end weight threads into?

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Fri May 27, 2016 12:22 pm

The part in question is threaded into the bar. Just unscrew it. I had to do this recently.

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2016 6:18 am

Got the new grips on in about an hour. Took about 45 minutes on the throttle side with the "whittling" of the raised ribs on the throttle tube with a razor knife. I then sanded it down to semi smooth. A shot of hair spray and the new one was on. The clutch side took about 5 minutes. Blast compressed air under it, spray and put the new one on. Used thread lock on the handlebar ends.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2016 12:50 pm

Got Pics?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2016 5:56 pm

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:11 am

Is there such a thing as a comfortable slip grip skin? A grip skin that slips over my original factory grips. I think I heard of a product like that on here....
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:55 pm

Gootzibird13 wrote:
Is there such a thing as a comfortable slip grip skin? A grip skin that slips over my original factory grips. I think I heard of a product like that on here....

You could eventually search for bike ribbon. Used on bicycles and comes in different colours and qualities.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Roth likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:18 pm

Yes thank you. I actually have the wrap similar for my mountain bike. I was wondering if there was something available such as a sleeve but very thin that could go over the existing OEM grips themselves. My original grips look new but are hard and unplyable. I could have swore someone was talking about that sort of product on this forum......I suppose I could just purchase another OEM set of grey factory grips anew.

Roth likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:36 pm

You mean Grip Puppies? I believe Grip Buddies are thinner than the Puppies.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:56 pm

Gootzibird13 wrote:
Yes thank you. I actually have the wrap similar for my mountain bike. I was wondering if there was something available such as a sleeve but very thin that could go over the existing OEM grips themselves. My original grips look new but are hard and unplyable. I could have swore someone was talking about that sort of product on this forum......I suppose I could just purchase another OEM set of grey factory grips anew.

There is such a thing, it's a grip that goes on tennis rackets, very thin, but grippy.  Something like this:

or here:

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:36 pm

The Gammas should work. Thanks fellas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Handle Bar Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handle Bar Grips   Handle Bar Grips Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Handle Bar Grips
Page 1 of 1