GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

22 mm heated grips?

Go down 
+4
paulbrice
JohnA
beetle
bjor
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

22 mm heated grips? Empty
PostSubject: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:21 am

My newly bought GRiSO is resting in Holland on its way from Ireland to Norway, so I cannot check the diameter of the handlebar myself. Is it standard 22 mm?
Asking since I would like to buy a pair of heated grips for it...

Thinking to try Oxford or R&G Racing.  Anyone with experience?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:36 am

22mm

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:42 am

Hi Bjor,
You can go to the search tab for heated grips and there will be a couple of threads come up on the subject. Having been to Norway a few times this time of year, I know you don’t need to be in a hurry….
Good luck.
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:20 am

beetle wrote:

22mm

Thanks, then I'll start the search Smile
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:59 am

JohnA wrote:
Hi Bjor,
You can go to the search tab for heated grips and there will be a couple of threads come up on the subject. Having been to Norway a few times this time of year, I know you don’t need to be in a hurry….
Good luck.

I'll check the threads, thanks Smile

No, I'm not in a hurry, spring is a few months away still... Wink[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:20 am

In case you want to just buy the basic elements......I fitted Symtec Heat demons kit (basically heating elements that you fix under the original grips with a nice looking switch on bars). They are a bit fiddly to fit & need some 'cutting' around the Throttle grip; but I wanted to keep the original grips....They have lasted well as have had them for 5 years no problems.....UK Supplier seems to have stopped selling them, so not sure what alternatives if you wanted to go just for the elements approach.

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:42 pm

paulbrice wrote:
In case you want to just buy the basic elements......I fitted Symtec Heat demons kit (basically heating elements that you fix under the original grips with a nice looking switch on bars). They are a bit fiddly to fit & need some 'cutting' around the Throttle grip; but I wanted to keep the original grips....They have lasted well as have had them for 5 years no problems.....UK Supplier seems to have stopped selling them, so not sure what alternatives if you wanted to go just for the elements approach.]

Yes I've seen these kinds from Moose, Kimpex and others, it's certianly an alternative...
Thanks Paul Smile
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:47 pm

Also check out Koso Apollo heated grips, the heat controller is integrated into the LH grip.

I fitted Koso Apollo heated grips (purchased from Revzilla) on my Indian FTR1200S.
Draws 2.55 amps max @ 14.2 volt motor running.

Most of my other bikes have Oxfords. For my Moto Guzzi V85 Chookchaser, I was able to connect Oxford OF691 Premium Touring heated grips directly to the built in dashboard controller, reducing handlebar clutter by adding another device.
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:35 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
Also check out Koso Apollo heated grips, the heat controller is integrated into the LH grip.

I fitted Koso Apollo heated grips (purchased from Revzilla) on my Indian FTR1200S.
Draws 2.55 amps max @ 14.2 volt motor running.

Most of my other bikes have Oxfords.  For my Moto Guzzi V85 Chookchaser, I was able to connect Oxford OF691 Premium Touring heated grips directly to the built in dashboard controller, reducing handlebar clutter by adding another device.

Koso is very neat and practical, and absolutely an alternative. Some say the cables are thinner than Oxfords, and that this might influence on the durability. Do you think that could be an issue?

Since you have tried them both, which one do you prefer and why?
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:51 pm

I don't see an issue with thinner cables, we are only talking about a couple of amps here. Are you speculating they might wear?

The Oxfords are my preference (hotter settings available), but both are fine with me. Note that when fitting the fitted grips, the throttle itself may have to be reduced by lowering the high parts with some emery paper. This was my experience, will depend what bike you intend to fit them too; if it's the GRiSO then I recommend the Oxford OF696 Sports heated grips.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:10 pm

Trick for installing grips...... Use an air gun to "inflate" the grip slightly by blowing into the open end while pushing from the outer end.
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:22 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
I don't see an issue with thinner cables, we are only talking about a couple of amps here.  Are you speculating they might wear?

The Oxfords are my preference (hotter settings available), but both are fine with me.  Note that when fitting the fitted grips, the throttle itself may have to be reduced by lowering the high parts with some emery paper.  This was my experience, will depend what bike you intend to fit them too; if it's the GRiSO then  I recommend the  Oxford OF696 Sports heated grips.

Thanks for the advise Dave. They are for the GRiSO, yes, and the Premium Sports were the ones I initially was thinking to get... Smile
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:25 pm

rick pope wrote:
Trick for installing grips......   Use an air gun to "inflate" the grip slightly by blowing into the open end while pushing from the outer end.  

Yes the air gun is useful both when getting the grips on and off Wink
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:38 am

Buy heated gloves. You'll thank yourself.
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:10 am

Papa Lazarou wrote:

Hmm, maybe you're right...
Any recommendations (effect, durability, safety, comfort...)?
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:13 am

I have heated gloves connected to a heated 1/4 zip jacket from Warm and Safe. I wanted more than warm hands….had this set up for 3 years now and love it.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:19 am

I agree with John. I have Warm and Safe heated glove liners, jacket liner, pant liner, and socks.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:32 am

bjor wrote:
Papa Lazarou wrote:

Hmm, maybe you're right...
Any recommendations (effect, durability, safety, comfort...)?

I have Gerbings. Keis is a decent make. Don't know Warm and Safe but if they're recommended, consider them too. RST, Alpinestars and Racer are meant to be good, too.
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:56 am

JohnA wrote:
I have heated gloves connected to a heated 1/4 zip jacket from Warm and Safe. I wanted more than warm hands….had this set up for 3 years now and love it.

So the choise is basically between liners and gloves then.

Liners are of course practical and easier to bring "just in case", but:
- how much do the liners build, do you have to go up one size in gloves to fit them?
- I guess liners should not be bought online, but tested to fit snug not to get "stuffet" inside the fingers of the gloves...?
- and how durable are thin liners?

Lots of questions, but with so much experence it's tempting to ask... Wink
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:16 am

Me, I'd buy the gloves, not the liners, mainly because of sizing issues. If you can buy from your local Moto shop, all the better (most will match internet prices), it helps keep bricks and mortar outlets going.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:06 pm

I have a pair of Warm and Safe gloves. They're not waterproof, as it turns out. I can use the liners with my summer or winter gloves, depending on how cold it is. There's no sizing issues for me.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:16 pm

I purchased heated gloves, but found I was tethered to the motorcycle (which I always forgot until moving away!).

I thought about carrying a small battery in my jacket pocket for the approaching winter months. Will help keep the back of my hands warm, and can be used on any of my bikes.

I'm thinking about trying a Lithium battery. Not needed yet, it's still the peak of summer, so have a bit of time to research for the best.

Any recommendations from those already using them?
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:59 am

Thanks all for your contribution, most useful!

I've checked out all your suggestions and many more, and first landed on that I need both heated grips and proper heated gloves.
Grips for cool spring and autumn conditions and gloves for more winterly conditions.
Although liners would be very practical I think I would have to try them on before buying, and since I don't have that option living where I live, they're ruled out.

Then a friend of mine called and messed it all up. He's probably among the most experienced winter drivers in Norway, and had his clear opinion. He's a member of a club where you can only be admitted if you have either driven continously 300 kms in -20C or 200 kms in -30C, - they are only two members.
He said that the only thing that really does the job in cold conditions is the combination of heated grips and good quality pogies, also because the swiches of the bike would freeze without them.
I've got no planns on driving my GRiSO in conditions like that, but he might still have a point.
I've tried the combo with my Cali II with sidecar in winter, and it works well.

So now I don't know anymore, - I think I'll put it on ice for a while.
Life sucks when essential problems like this take over... Sad

EDIT: By the way, the three most interesting alterantives of heated gloves I ended up with, are Gerbing XR(L) Hybrid, Keis G601 and Macna Electron RTX. They all seem to be very good ones.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:15 am

For keeping hands warm in winter conditions don't overlook some sort of wind deflecting device.

When I was working at the airfield here in town, 5 mile commute, I was riding my Soviet POS every day.
All weather. Rain, snow, Ice and general crap conditions. The biggest difference, for my fingers, was a pair of hand protectors. Even with heavy bulky winter gloves my hands were painfully cold without them. Slightly better but noticeably better with them. The coldest I can remember was something in the minus teens F, like -10F or -23C for out metric friends.

No way would I try this on two wheels. The Soviet POS being a sidecar rig.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:53 am

ratso88 wrote:
For keeping hands warm in winter conditions don't overlook some sort of wind deflecting device.

When I was working at the airfield here in town, 5 mile commute, I was riding my Soviet POS every day.
All weather. Rain, snow, Ice and general crap conditions. The biggest difference, for my fingers, was a pair of hand protectors. Even with heavy bulky winter gloves my hands were painfully cold without them. Slightly better but noticeably better with them. The coldest I can remember was something in the minus teens F, like -10F or -23C for out metric friends.

No way would I try this on two wheels. The Soviet POS being a sidecar rig.

Yes, that was the point of my friend as well, deflecting device like hand protectors or pogies, preferrably combined with some sort of heat producing device like heated grips.
By the way, I'm using 5 mm neoprene pogies with 0,5 mm neoprene gloves when I'm kayaking in winter. I've paddled in minus 10 with no problems, provided I manage to avoid freezing too much before my hands are in the pogies. If in addition the paddle was heated, it would feel like heaven. Just an analogy Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 22 mm heated grips?   22 mm heated grips? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

22 mm heated grips?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next