GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

C.A.R.C. temperature

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Matino9043
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Matino9043

C.A.R.C. temperature  Empty
PostSubject: C.A.R.C. temperature    C.A.R.C. temperature  Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:14 pm

I am using Motul Gearbox 80w90 and the temperature of reaction arm after 50 miles drive is to high. Can't keep hand on it. How is yours?

Ps. I have recently changed completely stripped pinion peg nut and washer. Could this be connected?
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: C.A.R.C. temperature    C.A.R.C. temperature  Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:58 pm

your talking about the Carc right ? Mine get warm, but not so you can't rest your hand on them. I take a laser thermometer to the track to check tire temps, might go over the whole bike next time and record some info for this kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: C.A.R.C. temperature    C.A.R.C. temperature  Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Matino9043 wrote:
I am using Motul Gearbox 80w90 and the temperature of reaction arm after 50 miles drive is to high. Can't keep hand on it. How is yours?

Ps. I have recently changed completely stripped pinion peg nut and washer. Could this be connected?

Yes it could. Can you explain a bit further what occurred? Are you saying the pinion nut came loose? If so? Did you run for any length of time with the drive box 'Growling'? Also when you re-tightened the pinion nut how did you do it and to what torque figure?

Pete
Back to top Go down
Matino9043
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Matino9043

PostSubject: Re: C.A.R.C. temperature    C.A.R.C. temperature  Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:34 pm

The washer under pinion nut was destroyed and nut was stripped. I rode only few miles with "growling" final drive. Nut was then tightened only by hand so no exact torque figure.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: C.A.R.C. temperature    C.A.R.C. temperature  Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Urgh! The problem there is that unlike earlier bevelboxes the CARC box uses a collapsible spacer to set the bearing preload. If it was 'Just tightened down' the question is 'How Tight?'. If whoever did it just kept going until it wouldn't go any more then the collapsible spacer will be buggered. Industry standard on a system like this is about 60 inch pounds on the nut and it's for this reason the nut should really have a fuck-tonne of Loctite on it as the bearings may settle in use releasing the pinion preload.

Your problem is made much worse by the fact that the collapsible spacers are not available as a spare part because nowadays we are supposedly so de-skilled we can't actually fix shit when it goes wrong!

I'd be looking for a second hand box on the bay of fleas.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: C.A.R.C. temperature    C.A.R.C. temperature  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

C.A.R.C. temperature
Page 1 of 1