GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ken po
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
ken po

ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature Empty
PostSubject: ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature   ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:58 pm

Hello, after a longer ride, I had the triangle pop up on my 2012 GRiSO SE (factory rollerized).  Checked the code and it indicated ecu error code 14 - Engine Temperature Error DC V DC ECU 14.  I thought at first that it had just gotten hot due to the long ride.  I cleared the code and started it again a few days later.  This time the triangle popped up within about 2 minutes.  Same error.

At start up, the usual clackety valve noise and then the regular quieter pulse as oil gets to the valves. So I didn't suspect an oil pump issue otherwise I assume that it would have just kept on clacking!

Checked the oil, it is right at the line.  So right now I am just guessing oil pump? pump switch?

Can any of you help me with where I might start looking first for issues?

Last edited by ken po on Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature   ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:46 pm

It's not oil related. Check the engine temperature sensor connector. Could be bad sensor, though unlikely.

The sensor is on the inside of the right cylinder. It's a tank off job.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
ken po
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
ken po

PostSubject: Re: ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature   ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:48 pm

Thank you Beetle. I'll do that. I'm sure glad you're part of this forum.

TheMuffinMan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature   ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:17 pm

The clacking isn't the valves per-se. It's the cam chain tensioner plungers pumping up. The only time you have to worry about that is if the clacking either continues or starts when you slow down after a long run on a hot day. That is a good indicator that the sump spacer gasket has blown out around the delivery gallery beterrn the spacer and the block.

Pump failures are also pretty much unheard of on 8V's. The weak link in the system is the phenolic oil pump gear they changed to in about 2010 from the earlier steel gear but even these seem pretty bulletproof. I've seen one failure over the years and that was because the gear was obviously faulty.

None of that is really relevant though to your issue which as Beetle says is related to the engine temperature sender. If your sender has failed it will be a first for me to of heard of one going west so it's unlikely. A poor connection at the plug or damage to its wiring is far more likely to be the culprit.

If you haven't had the tank off before take great care with the 'Quick disconnect'on the fuel pump hose. They are frangible and frequently broken by people who get frustrated with them. Having an assistant to help with the tank while fiddling with it is always a boon.
Back to top Go down
ken po
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
ken po

PostSubject: Re: ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature   ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:05 pm

Well, connection problem was the right answer Pete. The wires were chewed through by a rodent. Two garage cats usually keep the rodent population down but one must have lived just long enough to snack.
Thanks for all of the help.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature   ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:56 pm

Rats!

(Pun intended).

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature   ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

ECU Error code 14 - engine temperature
Page 1 of 1