GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stepper Motor Cycles on and off

Go down 
+3
Pete Roper
beetle
Caedmon
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Caedmon
Carlotto
Carlotto
Caedmon

Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:34 am

Thanks for the location
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:55 am

No need to shout for a NEW ECU. There are a host of suitable ones available for a fraction of the price on the bay of fleas if needs be.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:51 am

Yeah, you can buy one from a Ducati for >$200. Just make sure it's the IAW5AM HW610.

I am not surprised the deleted the capacitor and left the wiring in. It's the Guzzi way.
Don't go off and buy another ECU yet. When you find that lead that Brian showed you, check the voltage.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Caedmon
Carlotto
Carlotto
Caedmon

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:07 pm

Right, so I found the connector as directed. No capacitor, as per Brian's picture, and measures 12.9V.
Checked the ECU earth, all looks good there but I don't have an ohm meter to check continuity.

I have hooked up a new battery, fired her up (god I love that roar!), pullled the fuse to kill the stepper, and...... she's good. At least this is not going to kill another battery.

I am very pleased to hear an ECU can be bought for a couple o hundred. I can handle that. A brand new one would have been taxing. I think I can now leave this until after my up coming holiday Very Happy

Once again, I thank you very much for the help cheers

John
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:31 am

Please don't rouse on me if new ECU doesn't fix it...

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Caedmon
Carlotto
Carlotto
Caedmon

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:25 am

Haha. Of course not. I'm streaks ahead of where I started this thread. Anyway, pulling a fuse is not difficult. Unless the bike gives me real reason to get an ECU it might just stay the way it is. As long as I can get my weekly sanity ride, I'm good
Back to top Go down
Conor W
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Conor W

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:06 am

john

I changed mine out for a Ducati unit and it worked just fine, so definitely a cheap option. Proved mine wasn't faulty in fact. Would like to hang on to it as spare but more than happy to lend it to you to try if you like.

Conor
Back to top Go down
Caedmon
Carlotto
Carlotto
Caedmon

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:22 am

Conor W wrote:
john

I changed mine out for a Ducati unit and it worked just fine, so definitely a cheap option. Proved mine wasn't faulty in fact. Would like to hang on to it as spare but more than happy to lend it to you to try if you like.

Conor

Connor,

That's very generous. cheers I would like to give it a try. At least then I'll know whether the ECU is a bit dodgy or not. If you're still willing, PM me and I will give you my address.

Regards

John Smile
Back to top Go down
Conor W
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Conor W

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:08 am

PM sent John. I'm only relative newbie to guzzi community ( i.e less than a century) but have already had benefit of bunch of 'try this' bits from Pete and Mario.
Hope it works ! Few bits of mounting hardware to transfer over but all straightforward. The one I'm sending is GRiSO original. Suggest running dedicated earth to starter or similar while you are there
Conor
Back to top Go down
Conor W
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Conor W

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:34 pm

How did you go John - ecu have any effect ?
Back to top Go down
Caedmon
Carlotto
Carlotto
Caedmon

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:12 am

Hey guys.

Sorry for the delay Connor. I've had the ECU for a week bit no time to get it in.
However. This afternoon there was a break in the traffic. My report goes like this-

So I fit up the ECU kindly loaned by Connor, and reach the moment of truth. Ignition on. Ignition off.....................and .............. the stepper cycles  scratch . So it's not the ECU. Thanks Connor, at the very least you have saved me a small bundle o cash. I'll have the ECU back on it's way to you this week. Thank you  Very Happy

While I had your ECU in, I fired her up to see what she'd run like. Ran like a bag of coal....lumpy. After the initial start up she wouldn't fire on anything more than 1 cylinder. I guess it's mapped for the 1200, but I didn't quite expect that. Swapped ECUs out again and everything back to normal. Pulled Fuse E and stepper no cycle...............
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:07 am

Bugger.

Suspect

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Conor W
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Conor W

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:38 am

beetle wrote:
Bugger.

Suspect
+1
Back to top Go down
Caedmon
Carlotto
Carlotto
Caedmon

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Yep. Rolling Eyes

Oh well. Considering i didn't do anything about it until I was forced too, I expect pulling fuse E will remain a consistent part of my ride for the foreseeable future. I do consider this a solution.

All hail the Ghetto cheers
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:43 pm

I don't! It shouldn't do it. Keep trying.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:15 pm

When my brain is fully awake, I shall direct my intellectual magnificence into ponder mode.

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Caedmon
Carlotto
Carlotto
Caedmon

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Well, if you chaps are willing to play, I'll tag along Smile
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Hmm. There's only 8kΩ between ECU pins 17(E) and 24(V). 17E is connected to the stepper and 24V is the signal input from the speedo sensor. It might be worth disconnecting the speedo sensor connector while the stepper is cycling to see what happens.

Suspect

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
GR1064
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GR1064

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:19 pm

I found this reference to the problem on another site, it mentions the speedo sensor!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Brian
Back to top Go down
jean cool
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:01 am

beetle wrote:
Hmm. There's only 8kΩ between ECU pins 17(E) and 24(V). 17E is connected to the stepper and 24V is the signal input from the speedo sensor. It might be worth disconnecting the speedo sensor connector while the stepper is cycling to see what happens.

Suspect

Hello.
I think this is the best idea that is proposed here. Thumbs Up  Idea

I already had a malfunction of speed sensor with a default because of the rain. (Error + red triangle).
But I have not found a problem on the stepper motor when the ignition was switched off. Question

OBD (can bus ecu) can detect a fault resistance Ω  in the electrical circuit.
When the ignition key with the key, ODB must test some control circuits.
If abnormal resistance Ω  in the electrical circuit is found, the ECU detects bad signal, then an interruption of the stepper motor and error management can be completed.
The ECU loses landmark in the automatic calibration procedure.

Resistances defects can also be detected lighting circuits, right or left turn signals, license plate, especially the lights LED. then can also be a defect (abnormality) resistor on the speed sensor, yes this may be  !.
Should control the resistance of the other suspects circuits is see if everything is normal. confused

Water, corrosion, oxidation is at the origin, poor contact, electrical fault Ω (circuit lighting) or Faulty Relay.
Control or to replace every RELAY system, pulled fuses dried every fuse and the fuse block coated every connection with dielectric grease.
Other information source.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stepper Motor Cycles on and off   Stepper Motor Cycles on and off - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stepper Motor Cycles on and off
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2