GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

A Goose, or a Toucan??

Go down 
+3
Steak
beetle
bahamazoo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

A Goose, or a Toucan?? Empty
PostSubject: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Ever since I've owned Big Red, I've thought that something was missing...
Then one sunny Distinguished Gentlemans Ride, I followed a mate on his reworked LeMans 850 with its cool lobster-back zorsts and their sweet melodious thumping.
Roll along a few years, and I see Waterbottles Green Machine with his sexy two into two lobster pretzel and then seeing a GRiSO post with an  'unusual' muffler choice, and the gears started moving again...
A little bit of research and I found a local bloke who years ago worked on the Britten....
A couple of days in his shop...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Very happy to report that my genuine hard panniers are unaffected - that was kinda important, ground clearance is so much now that if I touch a pipe down, many many other bits have, or are about to also 'touch' down  pale
At idle ( which is, by the way, well under control thanks to Tony) she whispers in at 74 dB, while at 4000rpm, she is a very legal 90dB. As Noel points out, it's a good thing that 'they' don't measure resonance  Razz  Razz  Razz

It's always hard to tell what your bike sounds like, that would require someone else thrashing it up and down the street for you  Shocked but she sounds very sweet and booming from the saddle, and all reports from innocent ( and not so) bystanders are positive! Running with FrankenMap, she seems every bit as good as she was, maybe better, but that likely because she sounds faster....
The original items can all be bolted straight back on, and she has lost a few kilos along the way.

Big thanks to Noel at Pipework Techniques, and to Dennis the Menace for his pointing me towards the cans.
Now she is the Guzzi she was meant to be!!!

I do have to go back in to the shop, I was pushing Noel to get her out for the Ruptured Budgie, and he wasn't happy with how the hangers finished up and he wants to re-do them. Cool. That's called service.

ps: now just waiting for the magic box thing to arrive so that I can map her and get the data off to that bloke on that forum that does that stuff to the numbers....
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 7:22 pm

I like zorsts.

I love you

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 8:36 pm

I have to agree with you ba_zoo, there's something missing from Bella with her 2-into-1-into-2 system. It was only after listening to a V7 with a set of Conti replicas rumbling by, that I realized my pipe design had robbed me of one of the most pleasurable and unique features of Guzzidom.

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 8:41 pm

I'll bet that sounds fantastic!!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 12:13 am

Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 12:18 am

They look great
Back to top Go down
dennis the menace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
dennis the menace

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 1:53 pm

nice job bet she sounds sweet
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Great work Pat, miles of smiles Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 6:09 pm

you bet Ron! after looking at the Green Machine and chatting with you Thumbs Up... we tried quite hard to keep all the lengths and diameters as close as we could to stock. The 'kiss' -aka crossover, is a little closer to the valves than the original pretzel, but as this is (only) the mighty 2V, and it is about 50mm, I don't think much has changed (more mid range??).
Yep, I'm pretty stoked with the end result, she certainly has a great off-beat thump at idle -especially since Tony 'fixed' my hi-idle issues, and there is a very happy boom/rumble at speed, at least from the saddle. - and thats the bit that matters  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  when all is said and done! 
I have lost the 'pop' on over-run tho...... Sad  but that is perhaps a trade-off of sorting the idle issue (curse the evil stepper motor), and not the pipes, so...
On to the next fiddle/upgrade...  Razz
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 6:16 pm

I can vouch that this setup sounds like a Guzzi of old with "proper" twin exhausts. Seriously good job Pat. Now trying this with different mufflers would be very easy, assuming one had stock of alternatives on hand - just sayin', Pat. Nirvana (of the exhaust) is always just around the corner. However, you owe it to yourself to guide a floater to a new destination, to pay for these alternatives...

Several persons at the Ruptured Budgie and the preceding Cabal, commented favourably.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 6:44 pm

bahamazoo wrote:
since Tony 'fixed' my hi-idle issues

Blocked the stepper? Very Happy

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 8:32 pm

affraid blocking the stepper????? that would be a road side neanderthal kinda fix would it not??? scratch
we, however, took a systematic considered series of deliberated methodologies that preceded the circumspective approach precluding a meticulous consideration of advantageous factual results based on clinical analysis before we restricted all atmospheric movement to the stepper, with an 8mm bolt.
Stainless.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 9:22 pm

bahamazoo wrote:
that would be a road side neanderthal kinda fix would it not??? 

I expect nothing less.

Very Happy

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Goose, or a Toucan??   A Goose, or a Toucan?? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

A Goose, or a Toucan??
Page 1 of 1