GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Rear reflector

Go down 
+7
EricS
Clancy
beetle
Pete Roper
Bill Hagan
MalG
wardentm
11 posters
AuthorMessage
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:37 am

G'day all
An Aussie question .....
I live in Tas where I think we do not have to have a rear reflector .....my G11 came without one and I have never fitted one or been requested to by mr plod
Question ... if I come over to the north island do I have to have one ?
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:54 am

Yes. You have to have one. It's in the ADRs I think. But you should have a little hole under to number plate - that where it goes, a few dollars from the auto shop, they come round or rectangular.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:22 am

A mere kibitzing question as I have no dog in this hunt ...

So, is this "need" to get past some inspectors at dockside or -- surely not -- LEO's would stop someone on the road for not having such?

I'll go back now to doing what Kathi has in mind for me this morning.  Regrettably, I think it's the treadmill. Rolling Eyes

Bill
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:24 am

Thanks Mal
I will get one ready for the job for when I head north.
Have a great, safe weekend.
cheers
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:33 am

G'day Bill
There is no check when going from one state to another but each state has different road regulations.
So I can leave Tasmania and travel into another state where their Mr plod (your LEO) can pull me up and ticket me for not having one, these silly differences can sometimes be costly if one was not to keep up.
Have a great day
Regards
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:44 am

^^^^

Understand.  

That said -- as my brazenly expired inspection in the attached pic taken this week shows -- the LEO's here usually don't go out of the way to look for such things unless something else happens ... and the rider is an asshat.  I am not a committed scofflaw, but neither do I tremble at the possibilities. Brave talk until, of course, I am busted. Wink

I am way more careful when on other folks' turf as, it seems from your concern about the reflector, you prudently are, too.

Bill

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 am

I believe that as long as your vehicle meets the criteria for legality in its home state it can be used throughout Australia. Having said that a reflector is cheap and easy to fit. Mind you on the GRiSO mine 'Fell off' years ago when I fitted the tail tidy. Periodically I think of fitting one but I just don't get around to it. The Turd still carries its one as it's had no changes made, you can't put lipstick on a pig! Very Happy

As to your question about whether the wallopers would be that petty as to book you for such a thing? Around here, unequivocally yes! Not all of them and not all the time but if they've been arguing with the missus or they are having one of their frequent road safety 'Blitzes' they will most certainly ticket you.

There is the old saying of 'Why are coppers like Bananas?' To which the answer is because they're yellow, bent and hang around in bunches! Our Higheay Patrol are a bunch of arrogant pricks who I have a hard time having any respect for. The Rum Corps is alive and well in NSW!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:38 pm

I disagree somewhat. I've had three encounters with highway patrol on my GRiSO, and all three were benign. The first was an RBT. He rode a Ducati and was very interested in the GRiSO. I suspect that's why he pulled me over. The second I was caught speeding. I expected the "you're nicked, sunshine" speech, but after checking I was who I claimed, he simply said 'take it easy' and departed with a smile. The third time was after GRiSO unceremoniously dumped me on the road. No passers by stopped to help me, except a highway cop, who helped me pick the bike up. The dozen plus times I've encountered them in my car have never been unpleasant, except when handing me a ticket. In all cases I was naughty. They've never been rude, or overstepped the mark, or looked for more than what I was caught red handed for.

I don't have a reflector on my tail tidy, and I'm not putting one on. Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Takes all sorts. I must of just met all the ones who are bastards!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:03 pm

I got two 2" round bicycle reflectors on eBay for a couple of bucks shipped free from China.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:51 pm

My state stopped inspecting bikes a couple years back but the law is looking for some type of reflector. I have two of those little 3/4" license plate holder reflectors on my bike and the local cops are good with it.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Mine should have, but never had one fitted from new. Probably the wanker+++++ dealer i got it from, way back when. I have a hole and she is empty - and going to stay that way. Never even had it enquired about. Probably because lights on is compulsory and the reflector is largely superfluous.

As Beetle says I have had nothing but reasonableness from our constabulary. Several rules allow this to work quite satisfactorily. These being:
- never accuse him or her of the capability to operate said equipment in/on their chosen vehicle;
- never accept what they say you were doing - simply decline to answer or state no;
- never fall for the trap of "we clocked you at xxx" where you reply "I was only doing YY over the limit" - just don't go there;
- you be nice and there is a good chance of them responding exactly the same - If you want a fight, you will get one;
- if you were speeding and you got nicked, there better be some extenuating circumstances such as "when I overtook that vehicle, they sped up forcing me to take alternative action". This may (or may not) be the case, but if it ever gets to court, it will not come out well for the person in blue to be wasting the time of the judge and the court, especially if there is doubt presented;
- remember in NSW your conversation is (or could be) recorded so any discussions can aid and abet you, or hang you in court;

My last few encounters have all ended up with "just take it easy and have a nice (meaning safe) day". No money to be paid, no points to be lost.

Pete you must remember the academy is just up the road from your place and they are all out to try and trump the deeds of the last one of their friends. Alternatively you could slow down, but that is probably unlikely to happen...

Last edited by Oz1200Guzzi on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Telling Pete to slow down. C'mon Tony, be reasonable.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:33 pm

I am the same - totally tongue in cheek!

monkey
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:43 pm

Nowadays I'm even slower than I used to be and I was never quick. Thing is my licence is now a cleanskin. I like it that way so I save my short outbursts of irresponsibility for places I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get away with it.

Pete
Back to top Go down

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Up here, no reflector will cost you $100, but only from the small number of cops vying for "prick of the year" award. One court challenge stated the number plate is reflective so why do I need red dot. He won.
Hundreds of locals had been booked, rego cancelled and sent for inspection for "illegal" exhaust mods, by the same band of wallapers that are all known by name.

A young barrister with an RSV Tuono (waterbottles Ohlin shock donor) got nicked, I alerted him to the fact ADR 83/00 does not require either O2 sensors or Catalytic Converters as there are no emission requirements for motorcycles in Aust. Plus the noise standards are not a blanket 88 dB, but are individual limits stamped on the OEM exhaust, measured at half the rpm max power is developed at.

I have no tacho, they don't know my peak HP rpm and, the ADR allows me to increase my noise level by 5 dB, but if I haven't got the stock exhaust on, they will never know what it was. Ok, my compliance plate also says 90 dB at 3,350rpm, but the 90 actually looks like 99. I think the Tuono is complienced at 114 dB.

The barrister wrote an 11 pg submission to the govt and they dropped their mantra "anything not stock is illegal".

Know your rights, but be nice coz its quicker and cheaper.
Oh, and state law cannot override national law, ADR = Australian Design Rule
(currently we have no national helmet standard, AS1968 has been abolished)
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:10 am

Got my rear reflector sitting in a cupboard in the garage. Hated the look of it so took it off not long after buying the bike. Never been pulled over by the cops, but that's probably because I'm barely riding the thing of late. That said, I thought it prudent to keep it just in case I get fined due to some nanny state police blitz on such things, and then I suppose it will cost me $100 to bolt it back up again after the fact!
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:57 pm

In my state (Massachusetts, USA ) yearly inspections are required. Reflectors are required all around.
I don't know of anyone having received a ticket for non compliance though you must have them in place to get a sticker. The inspection stations will be happy to sell you adhesive reflectors pre-inspection for a fair sum.  Wink
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
Sponsored content

Rear reflector Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear reflector   Rear reflector Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Rear reflector
Page 1 of 1