GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

First oil change

Go down 
+24
GuzziSteve
Nobleswood
OldMojo
bioman
Steedracer
Leone
lcjohnny
Evilgarfield
Buellbloke
Dark Helmet
Peaceman
DangWangi
Chriso
TalkingGriso
Canyon Carver
NorthBayGriso
stevie1
Grisonut
Pete Roper
Steak
Uzidzit
DungeonMaster
Oz1200Guzzi
keenerkeen07
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:42 am

Been there done that on my other bikes , but i am a noob to the GRiSO 1100 ..
Have the  Motul 7100 10w60 and... filter /filter wrench  ...
Any tricks or needs to know on the GRiSO would be appreciated ..
the plastic dip stick seems lame  hard to see , and also curious as to quantity of oil in litres
Thanks in advance
Keener
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:02 am

Keener,

Somewhere between 3.2 litres and the 3.6 litres quoted in the paperwork. Start with about 3.2 litres and top up to the bottom mark as needed. Putting in more will only encourage the excess to go into the overflow tube. Others will have a better idea than I; Pete?
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:06 pm

change your oil and filter.
Ride around the block and THEN try tightening the oil filter just a wee bit more.

I have found myself with a very light drip from my filter after my first oil change.

DM
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:44 pm

you said you had the wrench and filter are you sure? the stock filters were and many i noticed still are 8 flat the updated one is 14 flat and some of the aftermarket ones are different yet. I got lucky and my ducati wrench removes the 8 flat, then I buy only the 14 uhi in a 10 pak. there after

just check before you get in the middle of the job surprised they are still shipping the 8 flat filters they must have a ton of them
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:18 am

Yes i have the 8 flat ,but i am good to go picked up a universal wrench works well enough and like you i have a Ducati wrench as well...
Job is done anyway ...pretty straight forward , put in 3.3 litres  and filled the oil filter as well.
I have to wonder at the spec of 10w60 for the GRiSO ,it seems to pour pretty slow , mine you the garage was cold  still early spring here in Alberta ...(long winter) Mad 
10w40 would seem more appropriate i would think.....but i did what Guzzi wants
Keener
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Stick with the 10W60, it is important and appropriate. Doing otherwise only snaps your suspenders in vain.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:33 pm

While not as important for the 1100's as it is for the 1200's there are good reasons why the 10/60 is recommended.

Pete
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:58 pm

thanks Pete, next is to change out the Carc fluid and the transmission...
Redline is available here but seems hard to find in 80w90 and 85w90 as spec by Agip
Most that i can find it just says either shockproof syn or a 90 w in redline products
Agip is not available
ANY suggestions as to product would be appreciated as well as quanitys needed.
Syn over Dyno ?
this is new stuff for me as my other bike is a 2005 Ducati Multi and its fricken simple..
syn 10w40 and your off and running
thanks for any knowledge to share
Keener
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:18 am

Any decent, high quality, full synth with a viscosity rating between 75/90 will be just fine. Yes there are slightly different specs suggested for the gearbox and bevelbox but that is probably based on some 'ideal' engineering theory. In reality both the gearbox and bevelbox are stupidly robust, most of the bearings in the gearbox are sealed so the oil gets a really easy time of it, there are only two 'Working' pairs at any one time in the box. The bearings and gears in the bevelbox are so bloody immense that you could probably run it on fish oil and it would survive!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:27 am

I run 80/90 full synthetic in both and call it a day.
For the engine oil, 10/60 is a must on the 8V.
OP if you ever get a 8 valver, don't fuck up that step: 10/60 grade or better. Wink 
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:54 am

Much appreciated advice all ...love the bike , lots to learn and want to do most of the work myself .Modifications are coming .............
Problem for me is finding the time , work seems to take most of my free time as well as the girlfriend..
I always wanted a Guzzi especially the GRiSO , if i couldn't ride anymore i put it in my den and just look at it.what a great site to go with such a nice motorcycle
Keener

Stephen Lindsay likes this post

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:08 am

The 1100 is plenty fun and the maintenance is a breeze so it doesn't take long to do.
One can always find time for that... Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
stevie1
Carlotto
Carlotto
stevie1

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Sun May 25, 2014 11:35 am

I recently changed gearbox & diff oils, i replaced both with-Castrol Syntrax 75w-140, i used the same stuff on my previous bikes (BMs), & no problems, is there any reason/detriment against using this oil, its easy enough to change if i need to.
Regards
Steve
Back to top Go down
NorthBayGriso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
NorthBayGriso

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:44 am

I just want to make sure the 1 qt [.94L] of Lucas 80w90 heavy gear oil is enough?  The service manuals don't quantify how much I might need [at least that I could find].

Edit: And what is the filter wrench used for this?  I don't have anything that can be used on a recessed filter with such tight access.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:01 am

stevie1 wrote:
I recently changed gearbox & diff oils, i replaced both with-Castrol Syntrax 75w-140, i used the same stuff on my previous bikes (BMs), & no problems, is there any reason/detriment against using this oil, its easy enough to change if i need to.
Regards
Steve

Higher frictional losses at higher temperatures and a greater reluctance to find its way into the needle races under the pinions. Probably won't do any harm but the factory specifies an oil with a lower hot viscocity. I personally use a 75/90 in both gear and bevelboxes.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:03 am

NorthBayGriso wrote:
I just want to make sure the 1 qt [.94L] of Lucas 80w90 heavy gear oil is enough?  The service manuals don't quantify how much I might need [at least that I could find].

Edit: And what is the filter wrench used for this?  I don't have anything that can be used on a recessed filter with such tight access.

Gearbox takes 500ml. Bevelbox? 385ml from memory? So a litre should do it with a bit left over.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:49 pm

one note on the gear box oil, the factory specified an odd grade to keep synthetics out of it. The only reason I mention this is I have a failed breva box(bearing cages), that has polymidie bearing cages in it. The synthetic oil used in it destroyed the integrity of the poly bearing cages....Poly bearing cages can be far superior to steel (inferior to bronze)... but they are sensitive to the correct lubricant base.

As far as I know Guzzi stopped using the poly cage bearings, a few years ago and only used them for a short peroid but I know there are Brevas, 2V grisos, and calis with them. I don't know if any 8V machines got a poly cage box. I have seen a few people complain that the poly cage bearings were Guzzi being cheap, but there are some reliability improvements to be had with poly cages...some of the seals in the box were not fully synthetic safe at the time either.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
NorthBayGriso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
NorthBayGriso

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:46 am

I called around: no 10w60 to be found within 70 miles of my house, and only one shop would consider ordering it. Thank God for Amazon...

1 qt of Lucas heavy gear oil should take care of the transmission and gearbox with only a little left over. 4L 10w60 for the engine is fine [Amazon has 5L Liqui-Moly 10w60 for ~$50, so I went for that].

So, I should get my first oil change in this week. Fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:35 am

motul 7100 is always avail on amazon, 4 gallon case is best deal ps any bmw car dealer has 10w-60 full syn in a pinch volkswagen and audi dealers too it is speced for their turbo cars

Back to top Go down
NorthBayGriso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
NorthBayGriso

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:44 am

Motul delivered would have taken a lot longer to get here.

Didn't think of the BMW car dealerships.  Nuts.  Perhaps next year.

Oh, well.  Liqui-Moly is supposed to be pretty good, too.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:46 am

Just had my oil changed at Guzzi-Tech and he said 20-50 Royal Purple was fine. I'm taking his word for it.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:58 am

Properly spec'd lubricants are only 2-3 days away in southern california. Why skimp?

geek

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:07 am

Steak wrote:
Properly spec'd lubricants are only 2-3 days away in southern california.  Why skimp?

geek

Perhaps, 10-60 isn't needed down here. The good new is now the GRiSO and my HD can use the same oil!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:24 am

You may be lucky. You may not. More evidence that... Oh, never mind...

Pete
Back to top Go down
NorthBayGriso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
NorthBayGriso

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:17 pm

Laughing Snark meter pegged... Very Happy 

Pete Roper wrote:
You may be lucky. You may not. More evidence that... Oh, never mind...

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First oil change Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

First oil change
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next