GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Time to Clean the Terminals

Go down 
+7
wyno
paulbrice
beetle
sidrat
MalG
Street
Kiwi_Roy
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Time to Clean the Terminals Empty
PostSubject: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 am

To clean your battery terminals and apply a little grease.

Anyone who knows me is sick of me going on about the importance of greasing the battery terminals. New Here

While your bike is parked for the winter the lead oxide is silently creeping in between the terminal and lug ready to make you think the battery is toast when you go to start next spring.
Scrape the terminals now and apply some Vaseline give it a top up charge at the end of January and next spring thats what it will do, spring into life.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
...apply some Vaseline,... and next,...that's what it will do, spring into life.

That's what she said!

(We're very familiar with this sort of creative quoting over here these days.)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:57 am

I should just give up trying to help owners maintain their batteries but I probably won't.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Don't. Some of us need all the help we can get. Even those of us who don't have seasons in which the bike is laid up.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:26 am

this is starting to be a very strange thread!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:26 am

My terminals aren't greased.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:09 am

I've never scraped them, sanded them or greased them; never had starting problems (no bypass kit fitted despite 8 years old); no sign of the dreaded lead oxide BUT it is permanently moored to an optimax battery tender Wink

Each to his own I suppose & I'll be putting the vaseline where it's supposed to go ...which could be a completely different thread (sic)..
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:42 pm

You don't mean......on the bedroom door knob?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:13 am

Actually 3-in-1 is better for lubricating door furniture Wink .....but mentioning 3-in-1 might get us back onto alternative uses for vaseline
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 am

You mean like airtight? ^^^^^^^ Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:14 am

You guys can poke fun at my Petroleum Jelly if you like, it's the way I was taught to look after batteries when some of you were still a gleam in your old mans eye.

Cheers
Roy
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Poke, Petroleum Jelly...
You dirty old man! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:48 pm

Bump - its that time again for you Nth Americans, Brits and Europeans hopefully those down under are too busy riding.
In the meantime I have been called out to help a friend with his Datsun pickup, wouldn't crank. I looked at the battery terminals, the battery was only a few months old but the positive terminal was as bad as I ever seen the brass was rotten and green with corrosion.
He told me he had used Vaseline on them but I called BS on that and he later confessed he had used some sort of grease he had on the shelf.
Turned out not to be the terminals but the interlock switch on the clutch.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:02 pm

My GRiSO was less than 2 years old and it got a heap of green and white crap on the terminals. Cleaned it off, a smear of Castrol Marine-grade grease over the terminals, and the connections have been spotless ever since.
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Before winter, I always remove the batteries of my bikes. Before reinstalling them, I gently sand the battery terminals and cable fittings. After fitting them, I protect the whole thing with some battery pole grease. Nothing to complain since 40 years now....

In the bedroom, I never had to use greasy stuff when using the right terminals .... cheers
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:47 pm

You don't mean......on the bedroom door knob?
Yup, so the kids can't open the door.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to Clean the Terminals   Time to Clean the Terminals Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Time to Clean the Terminals
Page 1 of 1