GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What is this thing???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

What is this thing??? Empty
PostSubject: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:33 pm

I have looked at the pdf shop manual and the owners manual and I cannot find out what this is.  It may be there I just didn't see it  :-)

Anyway I would appreciate someone telling me what this is thanks.  Where the yellow arrow is pointing at the bottom. This isn't my bike just a picture off the internet, but I have a 2013

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Flux Capacitor, it's a Hybrid Guzzi.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:00 pm

Charcoal canister. It's comnected to the fuel tank breather and inlet manifolds. It's purpose is to absorb fuel vapor when the bike is sitting to prevent egress of hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. Some people have reported issues like hard starting in hot weather because of them, (If the tank is full or close to empty and the bike is parked in the sun either raw fuel or excessive vapour may be vented out of the tank saturating the charcoal medium. When the bike is started the theory is that the small air draw through the canister will purge the stored hydrocarbons but if the system is saturated it may make the mixture too rich at start up and the bike won't idle or runs very roughly.) I have to say though that I never experienced these issues on any of my three American bikes with canisters. Over here we don't have them.

If you wish to rid yourself of it it will do no harm. Simply connect the two ports on the inlet manifolds or block them off with screws as is done elsewhere and vent the tank to atmosphere. It's main crime is that it's fuggly!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:30 pm

It's a California thing. The law requires that stupid thing in that State.
My 1200 is still new but that crap was gone in the first week...
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:37 am

Thanks Pete and Grisonut, this bike was bought new from a dealer in Jacksonville FL. I know my 2013 Stelvio didn't have this on it.

I will remove it. Less unsprung weight LOL
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:38 am

ghezzi wrote:

I wonder if it will let me go back to the future :-)
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:33 am

cognosticator wrote:
Thanks Pete and Grisonut, this bike was bought new from a dealer in Jacksonville FL.  I know my 2013 Stelvio didn't have this on it.

I will remove it.  Less unsprung weight  LOL

You'll need to get two very small rubber plugs to fit the banjo nuts on the throttle bodies.
Only take them out when balancing said TB.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:52 am

cognosticator wrote:
Thanks Pete and Grisonut, this bike was bought new from a dealer in Jacksonville FL.  I know my 2013 Stelvio didn't have this on it.

I will remove it.  Less unsprung weight  LOL

Actually your Stelvio did, it was hidden up in the nose of the fairing just behind the headlights I believe. Unless a previous owner had removed it?

Pete
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:14 pm

I removed mine, and used short screws with O-rings to plug the inlet manifolds. You can rip out all kinds of useless hoses and clean up the look of your bike enormously! Breather hoses can be neatly bundled together and vented downwards. It looks better and I had at least a psychological effect of performance improvement Smile

Also, even if you are in California (as I am), there are no inspections or smog tests required for motorcycles, so you can go nuts with removing this, changing exhaust, maps, etc.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:27 pm

On 'Non Canister' bikes there is a button head screw with a 4mm Allen hex driving a 6x1 thread about 8-10mm in the shank that is installed with an alloy washer to seal the ports. Later Stelvios have little rubber caps, (Without a part#!) to seal the barbs. I like these because I am incredibly lazy! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:01 am

cognosticator wrote:
ghezzi wrote:

I wonder if it will let me go back to the future  :-)

I thought with a Guzzi we had all gone back to the future!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is this thing???   What is this thing??? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What is this thing???
Page 1 of 1