GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Empty
PostSubject: Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice   Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:23 am

Decided to put this in a separate topic as it's only partially GRiSO related...

I came across this 2012 Stelvio while doing preliminary searches for my GRiSO replacement. Sure looks the part - more upright for my back, trunk for commuting, and panniers for touring.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've asked for clarification on what they mean by "Flat tappet cams have been updated". Is there any reason to think it's NOT a roller conversion?

Are there any other issues besides tappets to look for on a Stelvio?

Is the Stelvio like the GRiSO in that it does not have an oil thermostat (cold weather / short commute concerns)?

Lastly, I don't recall seeing cast wheels before. Were they an option or did some just come with these?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Back to top Go down
WCB
Biondino
Biondino
WCB

PostSubject: Re: Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice   Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 am

Hopefully they did the roller conversion. Sometimes a dealer will refer to updated as meaning they replaced the cam and flat tappets with a new set of flat tappets. Depends on when it was done and if the kit was available at the time. Definitely worth checking. If they just replaced with flatties, negotiate the deal to have the rollers installed.

Not normal for an NTX to come with cast wheels. The original owner probably replaced the spokes with these. Ask the dealer if he has the take off spoked rims as well. Sometimes owners will have both sets.

Like the GRiSO, no thermostat.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice   Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 am

Wot he said.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice   Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:45 am

Wo't he said.

Actually that looks like my Stelvio's twin! Only mine is incredibly scabrous and has done 120,000km! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice   Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:38 am

So the dealer hasn't pulled the head to verify it's a roller but they did provide the engine #AC-013151. I searched around a bit but couldn't find the topic where someone outlined the alleged roller engine numbers.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice   Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:44 am

EricS wrote:
So the dealer hasn't pulled the head to verify it's a roller but they did provide the engine #AC-013151. I searched around a bit but couldn't find the topic where someone outlined the alleged roller engine numbers.

Just found Kiwi Dave's post: "Stelvio- Motor#AC-012596 Build Date 12 March 2012" so it's only 555 units newer.

Too close to call w/o a physical look see?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice   Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Avoid disappointment and have a look.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice   Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:56 pm

No need to pull the head, just a rocker cover. A five minute job.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice   Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
No need to pull the head, just a rocker cover. A five minute job.

I told the sales guy 10 min to pull the cover and requested they send a picture. Said he would 'have to talk to his service mgr' about it. Per the offered and sage advice, no picture = no sale.
Back to top Go down
XU12
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
XU12

PostSubject: Re: Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice   Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:34 am

I own a 2012 NTX, the small winddeflector parts are missing left and right of the Tank. Also it looks as if the damned original Foglights are meanwhile updated to more reliable parts. Missing of Spokewheels could be sign for a crash, standard 8V updated with some parts to NTX-Style or the special alpina raggi spokes created to much leakage so the change to cast wheels are the final solution. i own also a set of cast wheels and feel happy for more constant tirepressure over some Weeks. Whith spokes i checked each 3-6 Days and on rear wheel there was each time 0,4-0,6 bar less pressure. From that point of view 2 things are changed for more reliable Driving. Main thing would be the flat tapperd or now rollerized Heads. without Rollers i would ask for cheaper price...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice   Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Non-GRiSO post: Stelvio advice
Page 1 of 1