GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Changed Trans and CARC oil today

Go down 
+9
Pete Roper
LBC Tenni
avgpetro
nblades
ITSecurity
Oz1200Guzzi
Ekimyrf
davem
cognosticator
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

Changed Trans and CARC oil today Empty
PostSubject: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 am

First time I do believe with 10450 miles on her. I bought it in December with 9,170 miles and almost too embarrassed to print that but this has been a cold winter for SE Georgia.

Transmission oil look pretty good but the carc looked used, glad I decided to change them

I used the Redline heavy shock proof oil in both. That is some weird looking stuff. I hope it supposed to look red and dark, I was afraid it might have gone bad.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:39 am

I'm a big fan of the Redine shock proof oil. It is a bit weird to look at and a tad expensive but it does seem to smooth the transmission out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:35 am

davem wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Redine shock proof oil. It is a bit weird to look at and a tad expensive but it does seem to smooth the transmission out.

Phew, I thouhgt my bottle had gone bad LOL Not as expensive as buying two different bottles for Trans and Carc.

19.95 was enough for both with a little left over.
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:56 am

[quote="cognosticator"]
davem wrote:

Phew, I thouhgt my bottle had gone bad  LOL  Not as expensive as buying two different bottles for Trans and Carc.

19.95 was enough for both with a little left over.

Ride the bike and let us know what you think.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:49 pm

davem wrote:

Ride the bike and let us know what you think.
[/quote]

I took her for a 300 mile ride today for lunch. Bike shifted smoothly and felt great. Could not tell any difference with the CARC and not sure if I should have. It works for me so this will be my gear lube for the future.
Back to top Go down
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Did mine at the weekend also, I am sure it hadnt been done for ages but the old oil was pretty clear and clean is this usual ?

Back to top Go down
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Doh just remembered it was done when the swingarm etc was greased
Never mind lets call it preventative maintenance
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:31 pm

I changed out my gearbox and Cardan oils last weekend. Cardan was pristine (the oil that is) the gearbox had a small amount on metallic "sludge" on the drain plug magnet (110,000 km) - oil was still clear though.

New oil in both, all good!
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:43 pm

Given that it meets the specs for both areas, I use Mobil1 75w90 gear oil in both. Readily available (at least in North America), reasonably priced, and (based on lab test I paid for) quite capable of being changed out every other engine oil change. It also provides more pleasant shifting than the factory spec oil, at least to my senses.

Nice that there are several good options to choose from...
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Here's the oils I use in Western Canada. 75W90 API GL4 is what I use in the final drive, and the SAE 80W90 is what I use in the transmission. 10W60 dirt bike oil in the engine. I did lots of research, and compared all the specs first, before trying these Amsoil products, and so far everything sound and feels great. It actually shifts smoother too. I don't have a picture of the 80W90 bottle, but here's the other ones.  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:57 am

GL4? Those recomended by Guzzi are GL5, both for transmition and gearbox.
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:47 pm

avgpetro wrote:
GL4? Those recomended by Guzzi are GL5, both for transmition and gearbox.
not according to my service manual. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I call the gearbox a transmission, and the transmission a final drive, but that's just my English here in this part of the world. The AGIP final drive oil recommended is AGIP 80W90, which is a GL 4. The transmission / gearbox has yellow metals and needs a GL5 , so it's non corrosive to the yellow metals.
Well I could be wrong, but that's the conclusion I can too.
Cheers, Norm.
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Interesting... just looked at various manuals (for my 1100) here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Some manual recomends the "Rotra" series for gearbox and trasmission, another the "Truck Gear" series also for both, another recomands the "Rotra" for the gearbox and the "Truck Gear" for the transmission. Also, both 85w90 and 85w140 can be found as recomended for the tranmission....

The manuals that recomends the "Truck Gear" also recomends 5w40 for the engine...

At some point somebody realised the mess, so this was released:
... and this is what I use as starting point.

The "Rotra", both MP 80w90 and MP/S 85w90 both are GL5.

Thanks, now you've made me wonder, maybe someone found out that GL5 is not good for the CARC, and changed it to GL4, after this bulletin release?

Or is it, they couldn't make up their minds about the lubricant, so they desided to stop making CARC bikes?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:09 pm

conundrum plus!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:35 pm

study   scratch   affraid  Yous lot are going to give me an oil anxiety attack!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:34 pm

Stop fretting. Any good quality 75/90, 80/90 or straight 80-90 wt full synth will be just fine.
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:24 am

I used to buy machine tools for an engineering company and the oil reps were my least favorite visitors. Talk about snake oil salesman those guys could sell snow to eskimos.
Competitors products were always dismissed with dire warnings of immediate disaster and somehow their company had invented a oil that no one could replicate, I was always glad to see the back of them.

Do what Pete said and you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:06 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Stop fretting. Any good quality 75/90, 80/90 or straight 80-90 wt full synth will be just fine.

Well, that takes all the fun out of it! cheers

Bill
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:28 am

My Yearly service includes Changing ALL fluids. I think this is good practice no mater what brand you use.
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
Moto Morphin Power Range
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Moto Morphin Power Range

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 pm

getting ready for the season. wanted to try the redline (got a Amazon giftcard with just enough
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Moto Morphin Power Range wrote:
getting ready for the season. wanted to try the redline (got a Amazon giftcard with just enough

That is what I went with about 4000 miles ago and the bike is still running so it must be doing it job.
Back to top Go down
Moto Morphin Power Range
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Moto Morphin Power Range

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Thank you for the speedy reply.

I'm going to try it in both as well.

Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:55 pm

I tried it from some recommendation on this forum, so I went with it
Back to top Go down
Damo
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Damo

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2020 11:07 pm

Is hypoid oil ok in both gearbox and rear drive?

Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2020 11:48 pm

Yup, as long as it's the correction weight. A75/90 covers all bases but an 80/90 would be fine too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changed Trans and CARC oil today   Changed Trans and CARC oil today Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Changed Trans and CARC oil today
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next