GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

LED bulbs retrofit

Go down 
+10
Richard
Gootzibird13
bjor
paulbrice
Matias
avgpetro
jlburgess
cognosticator
ITSecurity
supercoyote
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
supercoyote
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
supercoyote

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:03 pm

So after having had success with a retrofit along the lines of this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on other bikes, I decided it was time to increase light output on the GRiSO. The only thing holding me back is the worry that extra heat off the back of the LED is going to melt my headlight shell due to lack of airflow in the mostly sealed shell, which i'm lead to believe costs a shocking amount for a half-sphere piece of plastic.

So my question is, has anyone had luck with LED bulb retrofits? Any heat issues to watch out for if so?
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:27 pm

In general, putting LED retrofit emitters into a reflector assembly designed for a traditional bulb is going to be a mixed blessing. The stock parabolic reflector is designed to handle light coming from a uniform pinpoint source (or nearly so), the filament of a standard or halogen bulb. The multiple diodes of an LED replacement source are all in different locations from that design point, so they won't result in the same cleanly focused output. Their increased brightness (lumens) may make up for this, but the output will still be more diffused. Some LED replacement bulbs make this a bit worse by putting two diodes on one side of their central post for low beam (neither at the focus point) and an additional diode closer to the focus point on the other side of the central post for the high beam.

Since LEDs are more efficient in terms of light output for power input, you'd think they should produce less heat, too - you'd be wrong. Commercial LED products, especially in the automotive world, produce a good deal of heat. There are a couple of brands that use lower than usual profile cooling assemblies, and if you go this route those are the ones to choose. Don't cheap out if it costs a bit more to get what does the best job.

I opted to simply replace the whole assembly with an LED based unit (replaces headlight shell, reflector and bulb). The power draw is lower, the heat issue is avoided, and focus is simply not a problem since each LED is behind its own focused lens.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:46 am

I tried putting in an LED bulb and there isn't enough depth in the bucket to do so. YOu could cut the back of the bucket so the heat sink could stick out.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
supercoyote
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
supercoyote

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:16 am

Thanks for the heads up fellas. I agree with the different of light argument, I have a fair number of decent LED bulbs that work well in round housings, but the main goal has been to reduce generator load on older bikes. I've been happy with the results in terms of brightness but it's quite difficult to properly measure if I'm truly getting more light output.

But she don't fit. So that puts that to bed
Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:11 pm

LED's consume significantly less current than an incandescent bulb, so I think it would actually run cooler in the headlight shell if you got it to fit.
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:57 am

Regarding heat, the halogen lamp is cooled through the glass, as the heat is "created" at the fillament.
At the LED lamps, the heat is "created" at the LED controller, witch is at the back of the lamp, so, even if a LED lamp with less wattage than the halogen is installed, its heat would be "trapped" inside the plastick headlight bucket. No radiation at all, contuctivity of plastic about 10 times less than glass.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:53 am

Hi everyone,
I came to this old thread to get some information, and I did find some answers...
It seems installing LED bulbs in the stock lamp is a NoGo (heat dissipation, reflector design, etc.)
Are there any alteratives? Are the stock bulbs standard or halogen?
My bike has a yellow weak light and I was looking for something more powerfull and bright...without removing the stock lamp...

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:04 pm

Maybe you could run one of these bulbs (& could change the daylight to an LED too)...I don't have one in the GRiSO shell but have it in V50 & V65 and it's not hot

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:19 pm

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the feedback
Is this the one ?https://www.ebay.com/itm/333670147775?_ul=PT

How longe do you have them on your bikes?
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:27 am

paulbrice wrote:
Maybe you could run one of these bulbs (& could change the daylight to an LED too)...I don't have one in the GRiSO shell but have it in V50 & V65 and it's not hot.

I guess you have the stock head light on these bikes, how is the light pattern on low beam?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:12 pm

1 year on V50 and 3 months on V65; dayriding both 1 year.....same lens as normal bulb and light pattern is no worse than original one
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

& yes that's the one on that link ebay
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:51 pm

I would like to chime in on this subject. I am 100% happy with the Cyclops Led conversion bulb. I rarely get flashed on low beam setting. Comparison, for myself, is greatly improved over stock halogen and even the blue halogen bulb from AF1. My first Cyclops unit lasted me 40,000 miles. In and of itself is maybe not so impressive for cost. However, I do a quick flash to high beam whenever I have a vehicle in my path of travel in wait to pull out into traffic ect. Day or night.... That factor sets for the absolute durability of the LED kit. One of the four emitters stopped working therefore I wasn't stranded either. I am now a proud owner of another of the same offering. I will state that it is important to aim the light perfectly not to blind others in traffic. Once done ride, see, and live the dream.....
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:28 am

Has any of you ever tried the Osram Cool Blue Intense bulbs? I just installed one and they do produce a much brighter light than the stock ones....However I saw some reviews where people complain about the bulb life and the heat produced....I just turned it on for some esconde, but just by placing the hand on the light beam you feel the heat...I'm affraid to cause damage to the plastic reflector ir bulb holder...
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:54 am

Matias wrote:
Has any of you ever tried the Osram Cool Blue Intense bulbs? I just installed one and they do produce a much brighter light than the stock ones....However I saw some reviews where people complain about the bulb life and the heat produced....I just turned it on for some esconde, but just by placing the hand on the light beam you feel the heat...I'm affraid to cause damage to the plastic reflector ir bulb holder...

Hi guys,
Excuse me for insisting on this...
No one has ever tried this Cool Blue Intense bulbs on? Any feedback?

Many thanks,
Matias
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:09 am

I haven't tried the osram ones, but have bought Halfords (UK brand) extra 50% & extra 100% brightness bulbs before....didn't really see massive improvement beyond slightly brighter in same areas as before.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:43 am

Thanks Paul.
But besides that no overheating of the socket or reflector, right?
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:39 am

I use that one —> X-tremeVision Moto

It works fine for my usage.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:19 pm

Hi Richard,
Thanks. I believe it is a similar product.
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:36 pm

Yes this is similar product.

It is bright enough to be seen during the day but at night it is not sufficient when really dark.

I heard from others that the lifetime of this bulb was not so long (i.e. 10 000 km or so) but I can’t confirm by myself.
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:13 am

I've tried some of the bluish bulbs on some of my Guzzis and think that they are an improvement to the ordinairy ones. The best improvement of the non-led bulbs i've found is however, to give the bulb more punch through a thicker cable directly (via relay and fuse) from the battery. Combined with a good blue-bulb (this f.ex.: Osram H4 Night Breaker Laser 200) it's not at all bad.

On my GRiSO I still wanted to go for a LED-conversion, and ended up with buying a JW Speaker 8700 head lamp, which I'm very pleased with. Sharper and more light, especially to the sides of the road. Costly but worth it.

Richard likes this post

Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:28 pm

I installed the Osram Cool Blue Instense and it seems a bit brighter than the stock ones. This small improvement is enough for me, for now...
I was just a little worried because I thought these bulbs could develop more heat than the stock ones and damage something...like it can happen when you install bulbs with more Watts, i.e....But from the feedback until know it seems not to be the case.

Thanks guys.

Richard likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:02 pm

The problem with LED bulbs in a GRiSO is space - the headlight shell looks too shallow for "H4 9003 F2 LED Headlight 72W 12000LM Cree Chips White 6000K"

It was definilety too shallow for the Auxito bulb i bought.

I just want to know if there is a well proportioned LED bulb that is not deeper than an incandescent halogen

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:07 pm

I think the JW Speaker ones are similarly dimensioned at the rear to a Halogen globe but I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:17 am

lcjohnny wrote:
The problem with LED bulbs in a GRiSO is space - the headlight shell looks too shallow for "H4 9003 F2 LED Headlight 72W 12000LM Cree Chips White 6000K"

There seem to be some out there that should fit right in, like this one: LUXTAR® Q1 LED H4.
Have no idea of the quality or how it performs, but it's widely sold in Sweden, as far as I understand. Could be others...

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LED bulbs retrofit Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   LED bulbs retrofit Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

LED bulbs retrofit
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next