12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

LED bulbs retrofit

Go down 
AuthorMessage
supercoyote
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: LED bulbs retrofit   Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:03 pm

So after having had success with a retrofit along the lines of this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on other bikes, I decided it was time to increase light output on the GRiSO. The only thing holding me back is the worry that extra heat off the back of the LED is going to melt my headlight shell due to lack of airflow in the mostly sealed shell, which i'm lead to believe costs a shocking amount for a half-sphere piece of plastic.

So my question is, has anyone had luck with LED bulb retrofits? Any heat issues to watch out for if so?
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:27 pm

In general, putting LED retrofit emitters into a reflector assembly designed for a traditional bulb is going to be a mixed blessing. The stock parabolic reflector is designed to handle light coming from a uniform pinpoint source (or nearly so), the filament of a standard or halogen bulb. The multiple diodes of an LED replacement source are all in different locations from that design point, so they won't result in the same cleanly focused output. Their increased brightness (lumens) may make up for this, but the output will still be more diffused. Some LED replacement bulbs make this a bit worse by putting two diodes on one side of their central post for low beam (neither at the focus point) and an additional diode closer to the focus point on the other side of the central post for the high beam.

Since LEDs are more efficient in terms of light output for power input, you'd think they should produce less heat, too - you'd be wrong. Commercial LED products, especially in the automotive world, produce a good deal of heat. There are a couple of brands that use lower than usual profile cooling assemblies, and if you go this route those are the ones to choose. Don't cheap out if it costs a bit more to get what does the best job.

I opted to simply replace the whole assembly with an LED based unit (replaces headlight shell, reflector and bulb). The power draw is lower, the heat issue is avoided, and focus is simply not a problem since each LED is behind its own focused lens.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:46 am

I tried putting in an LED bulb and there isn't enough depth in the bucket to do so. YOu could cut the back of the bucket so the heat sink could stick out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
supercoyote
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs retrofit   Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:16 am

Thanks for the heads up fellas. I agree with the different of light argument, I have a fair number of decent LED bulbs that work well in round housings, but the main goal has been to reduce generator load on older bikes. I've been happy with the results in terms of brightness but it's quite difficult to properly measure if I'm truly getting more light output.

But she don't fit. So that puts that to bed
Back to top Go down

LED bulbs retrofit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Inspiration-
Jump to: