GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

weird noise and knocking

Go down 
+3
beetle
Pete Roper
BB43215
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

weird noise and knocking Empty
PostSubject: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:47 pm

I've been noticing a weird noise and knocking sound coming from my motor 2007 G1100. I don't even notice it with my Mass exhaust but I've had the OEM back on for a couple of weeks so I'm hearing it quite a bit. It only happens in neutral and is more pronounced when it's hot. So when I'm stopped at a light it's either loud clutch or knocking noise. Not sure if I need to worry about it or not.

Nobleswood and I rode to Indianapolis and back yesterday and I think it was really starting to annoy him so I'm asking.

I've posted a video of it here for reference: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
https://columbuscraftcocktailtour.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Are the throttle bodies balanced at idle? If so it may be you’fe Got one of the boxes with inadequate shimming on the face cam shock absorber on the input shaft. Is it a bit jerky pulling away from rest on a light throttle?

Pete
Back to top Go down
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Are the throttle bodies balanced at idle? If so it may be you’fe Got one of the boxes with inadequate shimming on the face cam shock absorber on the input shaft. Is it a bit jerky pulling away from rest on a light throttle?

Pete

Thanks Pete, I'm not positive — it doesn't seem too jerky with light throttle but I'm no expert. I had ClevelandMoto give the bike the once over before I started riding it a few months ago so hopefully everything was set up properly. I can have them take a close look at that next time i'm up there but I'm not very savvy myself. I'm also hoping to install the Beetle map for it soon so I'll have to figure that out by then.

Nothing to be too worried about then?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:38 pm

It’s always difficult to diagnose noises over the interwebs. The quality of an ipad’s speaker is hardly opera house standard!

To me it sounds like it may just be out of balance causing the primaries to lash about and knock back and forth at idle but the early 1100’s did have this face cam issue as well. Being a 2007 I would of thought it was past that problem though.

Cleveland have a fairly solid rep. Try just getting a small flat bladed screwdriver and seeing if both the air bleeds are open, (They are in one of the two ‘Tubes’ cast into the outsides of the throttle bodies, you access them from underneath.) just pop the screwdriver into the bleed screw and see if it turns both ways, then repeat on the other side. Only one should be open. If both are closed that *may* be OK but if both are open then the bike isn’t tuned properly.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Since it's only with the stock pipe, could it be a loose cat rattling at idle, especially if the balance is out?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
It’s always difficult to diagnose noises over the interwebs. The quality of an ipad’s speaker is hardly opera house standard!

To me it sounds like it may just be out of balance causing the primaries to lash about and knock back and forth at idle but the early 1100’s did have this face cam issue as well. Being a 2007 I would of thought it was past that problem though.

Cleveland have a fairly solid rep. Try just getting a small flat bladed screwdriver and seeing if both the air bleeds are open, (They are in one of the two ‘Tubes’ cast into the outsides of the throttle bodies, you access them from underneath.) just pop the screwdriver into the bleed screw and see if it turns both ways, then repeat on the other side. Only one should be open. If both are closed that *may* be OK but if both are open then the bike isn’t tuned properly.

Pete

It is new. Just got it running for the first time in March. I have about 2500 miles on it now. EDIT: I misunderstood. It was built in mid '06 as an '07 if that makes a difference.

I'll see if I can figure that screwdriver procedure out. I have to think they know what they're doing with that.

Beetle,
It's not the stock pipe. I could hear it with the other — just not as easy to hear it over the sound of the exhaust. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So, assuming this is the correct screw, the left hand side (sitting on it) was completely closed. The right hand side (this one) was open 1/4 turn. Is that enough?

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:51 pm

A missing piece of information, it's the clutch which is making the noise. When it's next to my V11 sport there is more of a rattle by comparison which changes when the lever is pulled in. The rattle isn't consistant, it skips now & then.

We saw Chuck on Saturday in Indiana & he had a listen but commented that he's familiar with the V11 clutch but not the GRiSO's. We presumed it's a version of the twin plate clutch in the V11 but couldn't determine what it could be. However he didn't like the sound of it.

Re-reading this, Pete your comment about the primaries rattling would still qualify though.

How else could we get closer to a diagnosis ? Screwdriver & listen for where the sounds coming from  scratch ?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:58 pm

If it's the twin plate clutch, yeah they make a rattle when pulled. Seems to be normal. My Sport has 115,000 km on it, original clutch, she rattles, 'tis normal, I expect. Better earplugs? Louder exhaust? ride faster...

Just ignore my comments...

Last edited by Oz1200Guzzi on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Nobleswood wrote:
A missing piece of information, it's the clutch which is making the noise. When it's next to my V11 sport there is more of a rattle by comparison which changes when the lever is pulled in. The rattle isn't consistant, it skips now & then.

We saw Chuck on Saturday in Indiana & he had a listen but commented that he's familiar with the V11 clutch but not the GRiSO's. We presumed it's a version of the twin plate clutch in the V11 but couldn't determine what it could be. However he didn't like the sound of it.

Re-reading this, Pete your comment about the primaries rattling would still qualify though.

How else could we get closer to a diagnosis ? Screwdriver & listen for where the sounds coming from  scratch ?

well… the clutch makes a rattle noise (which is a lot louder than the V11) but the other noise is when it's in neutral with the clutch out. Chuck mentioned that the clutch seems normal, but the idle clunking does not.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:57 pm

It’s eithe the primaries, which will be exacerbated by the TB’s being out of balance or the face cam issue. Guzzi claimed the face cam issue isn’t a problem. I can’t say I agree.

Pete
Back to top Go down
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
It’s eithe the primaries, which will be exacerbated by the TB’s being out of balance or the face cam issue. Guzzi claimed the face cam issue isn’t a problem. I can’t say I agree.

Pete

Thanks. I’ll start there.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
PunkScout
Carlotto
Carlotto
PunkScout

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:51 pm

I was thinking on it. I have no idea if mine sounds normal either - so to borrow your thread - could you guys give this a listen? Sounds fine to me - what do you guys think? 2014 GRiSO, 4300 miles, all scheduled service performed - started warm.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Some of them rattle more than others. doesn't sound too awful. Go in and check your valve clearances, set 'em to 4 thou inlet and 6 thou exhaust. Have the TB's been balanced and the TPS re-set? Check the air bleeds and make sure only one is open.

What pipe are you running and has it got a dB killer in?

Pete
Back to top Go down
PunkScout
Carlotto
Carlotto
PunkScout

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Some of them rattle more than others. doesn't sound too awful. Go in and check your valve clearances, set 'em to 4 thou inlet and 6 thou exhaust. Have the TB's been balanced and the TPS re-set? Check the air bleeds and make sure only one is open.

What pipe are you running and has it got a dB killer in?

Pete

I'm pretty sure the TBs and valves are set correctly. Had it done after break-in. around  700 miles ... next scheduled adjustment isnt for another 2000 miles or so.  Stock exhaust, I haven't changed a thing.  I plan to set the valves and do a early fluids change here pretty quick because I want to change the map.  I originally figured the motor sounded fine - theyre just kind of chattery and knocky ... but then  I was reading you guys say how they should actually be pretty quiet and I went "hmmmmm, well - I wouldnt call this quiet .. but I dont know what you are comparing it to.... so I should check"

edit: Oh, also the whole, I know NOBODY else on a Guzzi. So I have nothing to compare it to, so I thought maybe OP might appreciate having it for reference to his - maybe his it quieter? Maybe it's louder? I dunno, but more info is always helpful.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:22 pm

If you think it’s noisy now you would of been horrified by the early A5 motor’s! The cams weren’t shimmed for end float. Mine was awful! Sounded like two cheese graters fornicating in an iron tank! People used to pull up next to me at the lights and say “Mate! Your bike sounds really sick! You should take it to a mechanic!” Twisted Evil

Pete
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:37 am

^^^very funny^^^

My clutch rattles at idle, until you pull it in.

The A5 motors make more noise because they are faster Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 am

I think they were noisy because they were early build. After mine lunched itself I spooned in an early model 2012 roller motor, it was also very early build of the new top end. It’s as noisy as all get out too! Not as bad as the flattie but still bad!

I wear good ear plugs! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: weird noise and knocking   weird noise and knocking Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

weird noise and knocking
Page 1 of 1