GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Gearbox Backlash...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Gearbox Backlash... Empty
PostSubject: Gearbox Backlash...   Gearbox Backlash... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:16 am

My gear shifts are smooth if I bimble and if I ride with enthusiasm, however anywhere in between they are very clunky especially on the down shift - I’m on the trail of the culprit, is this amount of backlash the same as what you guys are getting? Thanks

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Backlash...   Gearbox Backlash... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 am

Yup, it’ll be different in each gear as well. The backlash is in the dogs in the gearbox, there has to be some or they wouldn’t be able to engage cleanly.
Back to top Go down
little750
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
little750

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Backlash...   Gearbox Backlash... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 am

Try bleeding the clutch.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Backlash...   Gearbox Backlash... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 am

And removing as much free play from the throttle cables as possible. While I’ve never really worked out why this has such a profound effect on throttle transition the fact is it does!

Pete
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Backlash...   Gearbox Backlash... Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:52 am

This stuff helps too:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Backlash...   Gearbox Backlash... Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks folks - already gone down the redline oil route :-)
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Backlash...   Gearbox Backlash... Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Just wondering how the Redline V-Twin transmission oil compares with Redline Shockproof Heavay and Redline Shockproof Light. Been using the latter (mainly the heavy) for years, I wasn't aware there existed one especially for V-Twins.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Backlash...   Gearbox Backlash... Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:03 pm

I read somewhere that it's identical to the shockproof heavy. Marketing ploy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Backlash...   Gearbox Backlash... Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:03 am

LBC Tenni wrote:
I read somewhere that it's identical to the shockproof heavy. Marketing ploy.

Yup - They don’t try to hide it, I’d say they try to make it easier to find for the muggles by branding it V twin, remember a Harley is a V twin. It is the same stuff as the heavy although due to the witchcraft that makes it more fluid my gearbox is noisier in neutral with the redline than with standard stinky gloopy gear stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Backlash...   Gearbox Backlash... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Gearbox Backlash...
Page 1 of 1