GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fuel leak from fuel pump

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Fuel leak from fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Fuel leak from fuel pump   Fuel leak from fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:47 pm

having a bit of a rough ride with this one! discovered a fuel leak when I unplugged the connector to the fuel pump under the tank it had gas in it and appears to be leaking down the wires into the plug itself! Anyone come across this before?

I took the pump unit out and the plug outlet isn't something that could be pulled out and re sealed etc... was thinking I might be able to use a gas resistant sealant to plug it up. Any recommendations for something that could be submerged in gas? would J-B Weld epoxy do the trick
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump   Fuel leak from fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:04 am

JB is my go to. Impervious to dam near anything. Brake clean well and blow well with compressed air. Put it on the inside and be generous.
Back to top Go down
tsheep2
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
tsheep2

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump   Fuel leak from fuel pump Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:12 pm

I've had exactly the same problem.
Replaced the quick release fuel line with a brass fitting and re o-ringed the wiring line.

The removal of the electrical line is indeed a nightmare.
Getting the circlip out was very difficult, then had to punch out the electrical plug line.
Used a 3mm (1/8") pin punch. ( gently too, having said that it was very tight) Best held in a vice with soft jaws.
It was a bigger nightmare fitting it back in, shredded one of the new o-rings, got it on the second attempt after fitting another o-ring, i threw viton o-rings in ( m10 x 2mm, times 2)
Liberally apply lube to aid fitting, you wont get it in otherwise & take your time.

Appears to have worked so far but actually firing it up and riding it may yield a different result.

Thanks for the pic of the plug.....removing the pins was tricky and i didn't write down the sequence for the plug.

That's all i've got on the subject.
Back to top Go down
tsheep2
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
tsheep2

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump   Fuel leak from fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:16 am

Arrghhh........After the effort of replacing the o rings on that damn hard to remove electrical line out of the tank....It's leaking again judging by the smell. Also indicated by the fact i only just got 200km out of a full tank, after conservative riding. After replacing the o-rings this went to 230km regularly.

So, in short i think it's last resort and seal it with some magical and wonderous JB.

Hey...i gave it a shot.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump   Fuel leak from fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:30 am

I've never had to fart about with the cable into the tank so I don't know how it's sealed. I reckon I've got a pump base hanging about though, I'll have a look tomorrow. Just swapping that might get you through until you can work a permanent fix. Certainly if you're going to epoxy it I'd leave it for *A* while or the residual gas mank will bugger the seal.
Back to top Go down
tsheep2
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
tsheep2

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump   Fuel leak from fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:53 am

Hi Pete,
I have some loctite 567 i think it is.
It's gas thread sealant, how would that go?

I think i would remove the o rings & remove the plug, put sealant all over it, re-insert it and top it off with more gas thread sealant.

Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump   Fuel leak from fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:24 am

I think if you're going that route then it's still going to have to be scrupulously clean before you try the sealant. Ideally I'd leave the pump plate, or parts, out in a warm, dry, environment for several weeks. Rinse them with contact cleaner or some other product that completely evaporates a few times over a few days and them just leave them so all contaminants can evaporate or sublime off. I really think time will be of the essence.

Gimme a chance to see if I've got a pump plate in the munt mountain. It won't cost me much to send it to NZ and you can send it back when you're finished with it.
Back to top Go down
tsheep2
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
tsheep2

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump   Fuel leak from fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:25 pm

Hey, Thanks Pete. I'll look at it tonight as in about 5 min time i'll start pulling it apart.
I'll let you know what i find.
Back to top Go down
tsheep2
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
tsheep2

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump   Fuel leak from fuel pump Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:32 am

Hi Pete,
Pulled it apart, 2 findings. Yes i had pinched the top o-ring on insertion, very tricky indeed.
Also loctite gas thread sealant is not suitable with fuel, in had sealed in a manner but it should be dry and hard. It was soft & i could remove it with a rag.

Will ask around the mechanics and see what suitable alternative there is.

cheers terry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel leak from fuel pump   Fuel leak from fuel pump Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fuel leak from fuel pump
Page 1 of 1