GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Are these the correct oils?

Go down 
+3
LBC Tenni
Pete Roper
motor-timothy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Are these the correct oils? Empty
PostSubject: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:18 pm

First of all sorry for starting a thread about oil. But I just wanted to second check if the oils I have selected are the correct ones! Sorry for being dumb, but better safe than sorry. Very Happy

For the engine oil: Castrol Edge 10W60 Supercar. Meets or exceeds the following industry specifications: ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SN/CF, approved for BMW M-Models, VW 501 01/ 505 00.

For the transmission & final drive: RED LINE Heavy shockproof 75W250. Exceeds API GL-5 specifications

Am I correct in that I can use the Red Line Heavy shockproof in both the Transmission and the final drive? Even though the specs are different? I live in a country with a cooler, very moist climate with lots of rain if that is in any way relevant Wink
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:47 pm

You don't want a 75/250! At least I wouldn't. Any decent 75/90 is up to the job.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:48 am

Pete Roper wrote:
You don't want a 75/250! At least I wouldn't. Any decent 75/90 is up to the job.

Right, that's why I'm double checking. The 75/250 Heavy Shockproof was mentioned in several guzzi/GRiSO threads related to noisy gearboxes, example: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  (post 4 and 5).

It says this on the official website of Red Line:
- Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90
- Many performance racing applications like Sprint/Midget/Dirt Late Model Differentials, Detroit Lockers and spools, NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car rear ends
- Not recommended for most synchro applications due to the product's extreme slipperiness
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:47 am

I and many others here are using the Redline Heavy in both boxes. It does reduce the clunking a little and I’ve seen no ill effect.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:46 pm

At the risk of upsetting people.
Factory spec for 8V 1200

Engine 10w60 ester synthetic
Gearbox 85/90 GL5
Rear bevel box 80/90 GL4
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:51 am

This is much more complex than I anticipated. So I compared the technical details between oils and from the oils available here the Motul 7100 10W60 4T seems to have the highest flashpoint temp. at 236C (higher than Castrol Edge), and seems to be Ester based but I'm not 100% sure (some marketing mumble jumble about being ester technology)

For the gearbox and final drive, Motul has two variants:  GEARBOX 80W-90, which is a mineral oil and GEAR 300 75W-90 which is a 100% synthetic oil.
Is there any preference mineral vs synthetic for our GRiSO's?

Last edited by motor-timothy on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:53 am

Oh for fucks sakes!
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:18 am

Hi Timothy
Just have a look in your bikes service manual and use the oil specified ......
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:19 am

Allright, allright, I'll stop pestering you all about oil Twisted Evil It's just that have have this obsession where I want the best of the best for my beautiful GRiSO.
Settled for the Motul 7100 10w60 and Motul Gear 300 75w90, on the (probably idiotic) assumption that its more expensive than the mineral 80w60 version so hopefully also better.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 pm

There's no such a thing as best of the best.
Guzzi uses Agip...just as good as Motul, Castrol etc...
They've got this!

Last edited by Grisonut on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:36 pm

The MOTUL stuff is fine and within spec for the motor and gearboxes. I use Motul oil in the motor of both the GRiSO and the Stelvio. I've used the Motul gear oil in both bikes as well. I personally switched to the Redline Shockproof, I used that in the CARC in both my 4-valve GRiSOs. I have a big jug of the Heavy Duty (pink stuff) and will stick with that until it's gone. After that I may try the regular duty (blue stuff) as a comparison.

You can't go wrong with any of the choices you've posed.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are these the correct oils?   Are these the correct oils? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Are these the correct oils?
Page 1 of 1