GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Winterizing question

Go down 
+4
Bill Hagan
sideshowbob
wyno
DangWangi
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

Winterizing question Empty
PostSubject: Winterizing question   Winterizing question Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Hi folks!
So the time has come here in Chicago where it's time to put the beast into hibernation but before doing so I was hoping for some clarification on what to do with the gas tank. I've read somewhere on this forum that some people have had "bubbles" develop on the tank from storing it with a full tank of gas, but also read that storing it with an empty tank leaves the seals/gaskets on the fuel pump exposed and prone to drying out. So my question is...store it with a full tank of treated gas (seafoam like stuff) or an empty tank? It will be stored in a detached garage w/out heat for what its worth. Any other winterizing tips or suggestions is also appreciated.
Cheers and thanks!
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing question   Winterizing question Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Cycle World just posted up a list of do's and don't's on their web page. You might want to have a look at that.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing question   Winterizing question Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Roll her into the house. If room is a problem, put that dinning room table in the cold garage:-)
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing question   Winterizing question Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:33 am

I've tried to convince my wife to let me put the bike in the other bedroom, but that would mean the kid would have to sleep in the garage....the wife wasn't to keen on that idea. Mad
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing question   Winterizing question Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:34 am

Wimmen. Wink
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing question   Winterizing question Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:55 am

Suggest you add Startron and SeaFoam in the amounts required to treat a full tank of gas (Startron for the ethanol and SeaFoam for added stabilization of the fuel).  Run the bike long enough to get the treated fuel into the fuel system.  I checked with the tech support at Startron; you can use both additives together with no problems.  If you do this, your bike should start on the first or second crank in the spring.  If you don't run the engine long enough to get the treated fuel into the fuel system, it definitely won't.  Ask me how I know.  LOL
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing question   Winterizing question Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:27 pm

I had tank bubble issues but it wasn't from sitting over winter. I think you have received good advice about gas treatment already. The issue with the tank expanding is from air in the tank and ethanol gas that absorbs water that seeps into the tank structure. So its best to keep the tank full as I understand. All the way.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing question   Winterizing question Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Fresh oil, full tank of stabilize fuel, overpressure your tires if you can't get it up off the ground with a nice cover and Battery Tender. That's all I've been doing for the last 35 years. Most people don't believe me, but I kept a Yamaha Xs 1100 this way for 25 years even with those nasty easy to clog CV carburetors. I normally stick and oily rag in the intake of the air box and in the exhaust pipe to keep rodents out. For extra measure especially if the bike is going to be in freezing temperatures, make sure your brake fluid is not older than 2 years.
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing question   Winterizing question Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:47 pm

Thank you all for the great suggestions and tips! Very much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing question   Winterizing question Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:10 pm

I will store mine with Ethanol free gas or empty. If you plan on doing any work over the winter you don't want the tank full, too heavy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing question   Winterizing question Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Winterizing question
Page 1 of 1