GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stelvio Shock Questions

Go down 
+7
sideshowbob
kiwi dave
usedtobefast
Richard
sidrat
GreggF
FrontRangeRider
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

Stelvio Shock Questions Empty
PostSubject: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:42 am

I'm getting ready to order a Stelvio shock from the folks at Hagon Shocks Limited in the UK.  Am I correct that the Stelvio shock will be a drop in replacement (remove stock shock, install Stelvio shock) for the stock shock and that no special modifications will be needed?  Just want to ensure I know what I am getting into before I take this on.

Thanks,
Alden
Back to top Go down
GreggF
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GreggF

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:37 am

GHTE and I replaced his 850 GRiSO shock with a standard Stelvio Sachs shock about 2 years ago. Simple job, best with 2 people to help position it, but not impossible by yourself, not difficult just a matter of supporting the rear of the bike, no special parts or mods needed.
Total time taken less than 2 hours with plenty of time included for the usual banter and crap.
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:50 pm

GreggF - Thank you very. Appreciate the quick feedback.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:12 pm

Yep, it goes stright in :-)

Even with the original remote hydrauic adjuster

Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:19 am

What are the advantages to have a Stelvio shock on a GRiSO ?
Back to top Go down
GreggF
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GreggF

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:27 am

25mm longer, much harder to bottom out, more supple, quickens up the steering, gives you easy pre-load adjustment, no mods required. Guzzi should have released the GRiSO with this shock as standard, especially as it probably cost not much more and they had it in the parts bin.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:24 am

Thanks for the explanations Wink
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:40 am

Other benefits I've heard about the Stelvio shock ... spring is heavier than the stock GRiSO (a good thing), and the HS Compression is less on the Stelvio shock (another good thing).
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:30 am

Thanks, Sidrat. I'm going with the Hagon option based on your comments when I asked about this a while back.
Back to top Go down
GreggF
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GreggF

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:09 am

Nitron is a good option too
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:43 am

FrontRangeRider wrote:
Thanks, Sidrat.  I'm going with the Hagon option based on your comments when I asked about this a while back.

you will love it, just remember to raise the front back up, if you have dropped it through the yokes
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:21 am

Just curious, any issue with the bike leaning further on the sidestand with the longer shock?
Back to top Go down
GreggF
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GreggF

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:23 am

Not noticeable or problematic, maybe because the sidestand is closer to the forks than the swingarm ?
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:08 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Would this work? For a GRiSO, but adjustable length.
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:12 am

My new shock from Hagon is supposed to arrive tomorrow by the end of the day.  If all goes well, I'll be in the shop on Friday installing it.  Turnaround time from ordering the shock until they shipped it was about 5 working days.
Back to top Go down
anguscameron1966
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
anguscameron1966

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:31 am

Hi FFR,

I have a Hagon on my GRiSO and it's made a massive difference, you will love it i'm sure.

One thing I would double check prior to fitting it is what spring it has come with as standard. The standard Stelvio spring was stronger (11kg/mm) than the Hagon (90kg/mm) fitted to the shock as standard in the UK.

After advise from guys on the forum I had them increase the spring to 100kg/mm as they couldn't offer a 110kg/mm. I'm 100kg in my gear and the 100kg/mm spring is great.

More info regards the discussion on this on this thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Maybe they have the right spring in a standard in the USA
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:55 am

anguscameron1966 - When I ordered the spring, I told them my weight with riding gear (206 lbs) and also told them how much luggage (up to 50 lbs) I expected to be carrying. I am assuming that they fitted the heavier spring based on asking them to assemble the shock to my specs. I already carried the shock out to the shop so I can't look at it to see what might be on the shock. Where do I look/ what do I look for that would indicate the spring that is installed?

Also, quick question for you. The stock shock has a large reservoir on the top of the shock while the Hagon does not. How do I remove the stock shock? Does it go out the bottom of the suspension assembly after removing the mounting bolts? Or do I drop it part way, then pivot the top back towards the rear tire to remove? The shop manual talks about removing the bolts and then says nothing else.

Thanks,
Alden
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:31 am

sidrat wrote:
FrontRangeRider wrote:
Thanks, Sidrat.  I'm going with the Hagon option based on your comments when I asked about this a while back.

you will love it, just remember to raise the front back up, if you have dropped it through the yokes

Sidrat - how do I raise the front back up?  My shop manual says "for this type of adjustment contact exclusively an official Moto Guzzi Dealer."  AF1 Racing dropped the front end when they set my bike up.  

Am I correct that the way to do the adjustment is to loosen the single screws on the top triple tree and the three screws in the lower triple tree, drop or raise the fork tubes as desired and then tighten the previously mentioned screws back to spec?  Obvioulsy, I would do this with the bike supported so that the fork tubes do not slide up in the triple tree.  

Thanks,
Alden
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:04 pm

FrontRangeRider wrote:
sidrat wrote:
FrontRangeRider wrote:

Sidrat - how do I raise the front back up?  My shop manual says "for this type of adjustment contact exclusively an official Moto Guzzi Dealer."  AF1 Racing dropped the front end when they set my bike up.  

Am I correct that the way to do the adjustment is to loosen the single screws on the top triple tree and the three screws in the lower triple tree, drop or raise the fork tubes as desired and then tighten the previously mentioned screws back to spec?  Obvioulsy, I would do this with the bike supported so that the fork tubes do not slide up in the triple tree.  

Thanks,
Alden

Yes that is what you need to do. With two people you can pull the bike over onto the stand and get the front wheel into the air, make the adjustments and lower it back down. We did it on Angus's bike in the car park of the hotel last year!
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:21 pm

FrontRangeRider wrote:

Also, quick question for you.  The stock shock has a large reservoir on the top of the shock while the Hagon does not.  How do I remove the stock shock?  Does it go out the bottom of the suspension assembly after removing the mounting bolts?  Or do I drop it part way, then pivot the top back towards the rear tire to remove?  The shop manual talks about removing the bolts and then says nothing else.  

Thanks,
Alden

I just changed mine to a Penske Stelvio shock. I had my bike jacked up on a motorcycle lift under the sump. With patience the stock shock comes out of the bottom, it takes a little bit of finagling but it eventually came out, I tried going out the top first, no deal, Finall got the stock shock out and the Penske went right in.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
anguscameron1966
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
anguscameron1966

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi Alden,

I would just ask the supplier to confirm the specification of the spring fitted. As for installing it, sorry I can't advise. I had the Hagon installed when the bike was in getting a new clutch fitted at the dealer.

I'm sure others can answer regarding the best method to install it.

Cheers,

Angus.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:33 pm

Install from the bottom, its a lot easier
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:48 pm

I have been finagling for the last two hours and I can’t see any way that stock shock is going to come out. I have raised the bike, lowered the bike and tried various heights in between. No luck. Also had no access to the top bolt on the shock when I removed the seat. I had to remove the right side bracket that holds the foot pegs and rear brake master cylinder.  Was there some modification to the 2016 model that changed the dimensions in the swingarm?  The big gold reservoir at the top of the shock gets in the way, no matter which way you turn the shock. As my pilot buddy used to say, “I ‘m out of airspeed, altitude ande ideas.”
Thanks,
Alden

Last edited by FrontRangeRider on Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:56 pm

I have done this on a 2007, a 2009 and a 2013 and went out the top each time. Everybody says the other way is easier...

Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:37 am

Success at last...
Found a post on Guzzitech where someone said he removed the left peg plate and lifted the bike to get the tire as low as possible.  That was the answer on my bike.  
Here is the process I used on my bike that worked.
Stabilize the bike using a front wheel chock.
Lift the rear tire with a lift under the sump.
Remove the wishbone bolt and the bolt from the bottom of the shock.
Partially remove the right peg plate to get access to the bolt on the top of the shock.  Remove that bolt.
Remove the left peg plate.  Use blocks to support the muffler when you remove the bolts that attach the muffler to the peg plate.
Stock shock comes out easily between the bottom of the airbox and the swingarm.  
Install new shock.  New shock (at least in the case of the Hagon shock) has no reservoir at the top so it can go in the same way the stock shock came out or in from the bottom.  
Install the shock bolts in the new shock (top, bottom, wishbone)
Re-install the peg plates.

I spent an hour or two trying to finagle the shock out the bottom.  After taking a break and finding the suggestion to remove the left peg plate, I went back to the shop to try that approach.  It went so quickly that I had the shock out, new shock installed, everything buttoned back up, new footpegs installed and all tools put away before I finished my beer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Questions   Stelvio Shock Questions Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stelvio Shock Questions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next