GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Help replacing rear brake pedal

Go down 
+10
Street
lcjohnny
rick pope
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
gselvo
Papa Lazarou
tvboy
beetle
Mandrake
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gselvo
Carlotto
Carlotto
gselvo

Help replacing rear brake pedal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:21 pm

I've been riding the bike with the bent liver for quite a while I think, maybe a couple of years. I don't think that the bolt holding it on is going to be a problem. Also to the extent that the lever was injured due to falling over or hitting something, the annealing process actually fixes that injury in the sense that it realigns the molecules in the aluminum the way they were supposed to be at the outset. I definitely will be watching for a broken rear brake lever though and hope it doesn't happen
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:26 am

Well, if I were you, I'd still obtain a spare and toss it in your tool bag. I'm pretty sure that it is a sintered metal part and designed to be a breakaway to save the much more expensive pork chop...

When it does snap on you, it'll likely be at an inconvenient time and place. Besides, it's a cheap part.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
RedMogAndy
Carlotto
Carlotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:00 am

Yes, definitely change that bolt - I had the one on the shifter side go (it's the same part) leaving the inexpensive steel remains in the rather expensive but thankfully available pork chop.
I think the bending of the lever must weaken the bolt and it is then just a question of time before it breaks off.

Steak likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:31 am

A friend borrowed the bike and got squeezed off a single track road (i can't comment as I did not see it) the brake lever took a 45º twist when the bike fell over.  Sad

I took the lever up to 300ºc (using an IR thermometer) and let it cool slowly to anneal.
This was well above the temperature that soap blackened (250ºc).

Held it in the vice and bent it straight between two adjustable spanners to localise the bend. It bent straight with very little force  (but remember to put the toe peg back in before bending it so that they eye in the lever does not deform (Dont ask pale ).

The bolt also needed a gently tonk with a copper hammer and now all is well.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:15 pm

ahh the old copper hammer....like all things 'copper' you can never find one when you need one Wink

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Help replacing rear brake pedal
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2