GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Broken shifter lever's shaft

Go down 
+14
BruPo
rick pope
Street
Bill Hagan
RedMogAndy
Steak
Clancy
Diablo Loco
Grisonut
Richard
NewApriliaGuy
Pete Roper
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Broken shifter lever's shaft Empty
PostSubject: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:36 pm

Does someone has had this issue, a broken shifter's lever shaft? Was going for a third time out this spring, when I stopped at a traffic light, retrograded to fist gear and... and my shifter lever disappeared under my foot! was lucky at least I was only 12-13km from home, was also a cold day (9-10C) so got back home at a very low speed! Bike still under warranty so I contant the dealer tomorrow and will see!
Be careful out there and have a great ride![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Yikes!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:51 pm

That's happened to me. I always kept a spare at home.

bounce

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:15 pm

It's usually a sign that the bike has been dropped at some point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Thanks both of you!
The problem is that the threaded part still inside the "plate"... and no the bike has never been dropped, first owner, new bike, probably from what I see it looks like the shaft had a flaw just where the threaded part begins! will se what the dealer says!
Back to top Go down
NewApriliaGuy
Carlotto
Carlotto
NewApriliaGuy

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:03 pm

I had a similar issue on my bike. Caught it before the bolt broke though, in part because the threads of the bolt housing in the porkchop were stripped. I had a local machine shop repair (straighten) the bolt and rethread the housing for $35.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:33 pm

Well, an update... spoke with the service dept of the dealer and I taking the peg's plate (easier than the motorcycle) for repair, but as we can see in the picture, there was a flaw in the shaft, it is like rotten from the interior, so it broke! As the bike still on warranty, they are taking care of the repair...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:56 am

You've got an efficient dealer. Yeap  cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:34 pm

Update... left everything, the peg plate etc... at the dealer. They will claim warranty on the peg plate and the shaft, hope it won't be too long! But really... I'm a bit disappointed that this happens on a new bike!!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:02 pm

I call bullshit on the flaw...
The bike was dropped during handling before it was sold to you, simple as that.
And this happens to a lot of them...how do I know that? Both my 07 and 09 (long departed) had the shifter lever slightly bent at the dealer before being sold to me. There are also a few other owner stating the same fact over the years...

What probably happened to your bike was that it was pried back to it's original position but depending on how bad it was bent to begin with, it made that special bolt weak and it finally gave up.

Lastly, it is not rotten on the inside...it has a dab of grease that stay contained by the O ring so it doesn't dry out.
I hope that your dealer has a left hand drill bit to remove the remaining part of the threads, it's an easy job if they do. Comes right out.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:09 pm

Grisonut wrote:
And this happens to a lot of them...how do I know that? Both my 07 and 09 (long departed) had the shifter lever slightly bent at the dealer before being sold to me. There are also a few other owner stating the same fact over the years...

How that ? You mean MG dealers don’t know how to handle their own motorbikes ? Suspect

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Hello Pascal
Well I'm a bit on your side, didn't want to see it at first but I've given some thought to this and as you can see on the last picture, it look as if half of the bolt was broken, maybe you're right Sad was the dealer handling it, was in transport, was a flaw, who knows... Also, big was my surprise (and disappointment) when the mechanic told the service department to claim the plate and the shaft! I'm no mechanic but I do not think it is impossible to pull out the remaining part from the threads.
I'll be updating you all, hope I'll be soon on my GRiSO again!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:56 pm

If the plate itself isn't bust there is no reason to replace it. Extracting things like broken studs and bolts is the sort of thing mechanics have to do all the time. If a shop can't do that on premises then they should have a tame machinist nearby who could do it in a jiffy!

OK, I can understand them not having the pivot in stock but it should only take a day or two to get in. There shouldn't be any real delay. Sourcing a side plate/pork chop might take longer but since they are a common part to be damaged in a tip over I'd expect one of them to be easy enough too.

It all sounds a wee bit hopeless.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Richard_HdS wrote:
Grisonut wrote:

How that ? You mean MG dealers don’t know how to handle their own motorbikes ? Suspect

Some bikes are moved around from one dealer to another sometimes and those are the ones that are prone to bad handling.
It's not necessarily the dealers but transporters that simply don't give a shit so I wouldn't blame dealers on all fuck ups.
My 2017 was uncrated at the dealer I bought it from, so the bike had a lot less chances being dropped since it wasn't shipped anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Moto Guzzi of Maryland has that bolt/pivot in stock...about $10 with shipping.
AF1 Racing also have it but they want $25 for it without shipping, yikes! It does come with its O ring though. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:27 am

Thanks a lot everyone, I'll hope to have some news this week, as the bike is under warranty I think the dealer would like to spend no mechanic time on the part, the plate has no damage at all.
I'll keep you posted!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm

Fais nous savoir, a plus...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Wed May 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Bonjour Pascal and hello everyone!
Finally (3 weeks) got the parts from my dealer, everything went on warranty as expected! My GRiSO is back!
A week ago I called for an update and my dealer's service manager told me she had the pivot, but not the plate... so I asked her if I by myself could try to get the broken stud off, she kindly told me "yes why not if you want and don't worry if you can't the peg-plate is ordered". So I tried, with a left hand drill but without success, it was so tight! In retrospective I think the problem with this pivot began with an over-torque and maybe a stripped over-tight installation!(could be?) as you can see in the picture I posted before, the pivot has a little "lip" at the first tread... but also could be damage from transport... or... don't know, but hell! I'm no expert and the important thing is that is repaired! Had a great service from my dealer (the claim and parts were ordered very soon)
Thanks again for your input and support!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Wed May 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Glad you're gonna be back in business.
As for the stud being stuck in the plate, I did the job for a friend a while back and it came out real easy.
I did drill a 1/8 pilot hole first though, so the left hand drill bit has something to bite on.
Anyway, no biggy since you're getting a new part regardless.
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Thu May 09, 2019 12:05 am

Mine broke after hitting a roo, breaking the stud thread flush with the plate. Removed by some nice blokes in NSW using spark erosion. The stud cost AU$9.

The alternative, using an 'easy out' or similar was avoided as I was 4 days ride from home and didn't want to fkup the pork chop.
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Thu May 09, 2019 1:21 am

Diablo Loco wrote:
Removed ...... using spark erosion.

I had to look that up.
Neat!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Thu May 09, 2019 12:45 pm

This happened to me while on a ride to a Guzzi campout several years ago. I was in the small town of Toppenish, Washington. Stopped in at a local mechanics shop, took off the side plate and asked if he could help me out. He nodded kindly and suggest I go grab a burger and come back later. When I returned he had removed the stud and had fashioned a replacement pivot stud that would get me to the campout and ultimately home. When I asked him how much, he said no-charge because he like the GRiSO! I smiled, but insisted he take enough cash to treat his shop to a lunch some other day as it was my pleasure!

Kindness abounds!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Thu May 09, 2019 4:52 pm

Oh! woow Steak, unbelievable what a great thing happened to you at Toppenish!

I drilled a pilot hole and inserted a left hand drill as Pascal did, but it broke! the threaded part really was tight and stuck inside the plate and suspect stripped (and over-tight). When I disassembled the plate, also found the the two big Allen bolts on the Y that goes to the passenger peg and exhaust bracket were stripped Sad , I'm a bit disappointed with this issue but love my GRiSO and hope not to have more issues like this one on the future!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Fri May 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Frenchman wrote:
.........When I disassembled the plate, also found the the two big Allen bolts on the Y that goes to the passenger peg and exhaust bracket were stripped Sad .............

Damn...Luigi must have gotten carried away with power tools at the factory. Shouldn't be like that on a new bike...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1Sat May 11, 2019 5:49 am

Yes that's what I also think of Luigi Wink , as I've seen mechanics work with power tools they seldom are careful enough to do the first two or three turns by hand to be sure the bolt is in the threads....
Also when I picked up my new bike, right hand rear turn light didn't work, turned out to be a pinched wire during assembly...
Thanks again for all your input and support on this issue!
Have a great day!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Broken shifter lever's shaft
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next