12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Broken shifter lever's shaft

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat May 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Enjoy the bike.
Once sorted, Guzzis are as reliable as an anvil.
Back to top Go down
RedMogAndy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:22 pm

Mine did this today, luckily in my drive so I didn't have to push her too far! Trouble is that I can't order the part till next year Rolling Eyes Gives me a chance to work on the bit of bolt left in the side plate tho'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:18 am

Hello
I hope you'll be successful pulling out the remaining of the pivot from the pigplate and will have the replacement parts soon! As you read I couldn't pull it out, was a minor issue as everything was cover under warranty! took almost 3 week to a month to have the replacement parts, but all in all everything was ok at the end!
Last summer, mid-July with my wife as a passenger we did a group ride (wrong group! Sad ) and fell on the road. All our protective gear did a great job, us and the GRiSO had minor damage! again it was a bit long to have all the parts, had to replace the head valve cover, brake lever and passenger peg (minor scratches on other parts Sad )but my dealer handled the issue very well. For us, well it took some time to heal but now we're good!
Have a great holidays and be safe on the road!
Back to top Go down
RedMogAndy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:55 am

Crikey! Good to hear you are both all healed now
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:08 am

RedMogAndy wrote:
Crikey! Good to hear you are both all healed now

EXACTLY!

Bill
Back to top Go down
Street
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Street

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:31 pm

Indeed, glad you're all okay!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
RedMogAndy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:30 pm

OK, I have removed the pork chop & the bolt has sheared well below the surface (well, it would, wouldn't it?) so we are soaking it in WD40 tonight while I work out how I can drill it for my stud extractor without ruining the expensive alloy part . . .
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:22 pm

WD-40 is fine for removing stickers and chewing gum, but terrible as a lubricant. Use any of the old time penetrating oils. Then find a set of left hand, or reverse twist, drill bits. Often you can get lucky and not even need the extractors.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:36 pm

50% Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and 50% Acetone, make the best penetrating fluid. It's what most of them are made from anyway. Make some yourself, and satisfy the inner chemist in you.
Back to top Go down
RedMogAndy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:43 am

Acetone - is that Hammerite thinner? If so I can try that Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
RedMogAndy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:48 pm

Update on mine, I did the TQF/thinners trick and drilled through the bit of stuck bolt with my small left handed drill, drove in the stud extractor and reamed out the hole. Repeated the exercise with bigger drill after heating it all up a couple of times & still no joy. Ordered a new porkchop plate.
All fitted now with anti seize on every bolt and a dollop of grease between the O rings (I know grease is not standard fitment on a Guzzi, but what the heck!) - also took the opportunity to fit greased & sealed ball ends to the shift rod. I am expecting even slicker shifts after all that . . .
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:25 pm

If you have a broken bolt stuck in aluminum, and a hole through the broken bit, warm the area gently, just so it's uncomfortable to hold your hand on it. Then blow compressed air through the hole for a bit, chilling the steel while the surrounding aluminum is warm. Back out the offending piece.
Back to top Go down
RedMogAndy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: Broken shifter lever's shaft   Broken shifter lever's shaft - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:03 am

Thanks for the tip, I will tuck that one away for next time Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down

Broken shifter lever's shaft
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: