GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Bunged up wheel

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

Bunged up wheel Empty
PostSubject: Bunged up wheel   Bunged up wheel Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:07 pm

I took my front wheel off and brought it to my dealer to fit a new tire. I have done this at least 4 times and they have
not left a mark on the rim. This time these is a deep gouge in the edge of the rim, its not big (about 3mm across) but its deep and there is a
mass of crushed aluminum next to the crater. Its clear that the tire guy did this. He said it was that way when it came in (bull crap) After some embarrassed silence and shoe looking. The shop manager said they would buy a replacement rim and have my hardware transferred over to it.

My feeling is that 1. The rim needs to be back to original condition (very good) 2. Impact damage to a rim might not be safe. 3 There isn't any way to repair this and re anodize the wheel

What say you?

I feel bad for the owner of the dealership, he is a good friend. This is going to cost a lot. But I want a good looking working rim.

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Bunged up wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bunged up wheel   Bunged up wheel Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:32 pm

Shit happens, sometimes. There is a solution coming which will satisfy you. He will remain a good friend as he has done the right thing by you. Perhaps a slab of beer might not go astray.

Wheel repairs can be done, but if the gouge is there, it will be a weak point. I think you would not want that on a bike. Turn it into a coffee table, at least it will become a talking point.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Bunged up wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bunged up wheel   Bunged up wheel Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:41 pm

IMO, that kind of damage is structural and the wheel should be replaced.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

Bunged up wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bunged up wheel   Bunged up wheel Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

Bunged up wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bunged up wheel   Bunged up wheel Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:13 pm

Link to a picture. Yes, I think I will refrain from stressing this wheel. If it has a crack it might be invisible

Thanks! My friend turned it over to his shop manager and he treated me with respect, wrote on the recipe what he would do and signed it.

We will remain friends and I won't have a wheel that shatters in the middle of a high speed turn around a cliff.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Bunged up wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bunged up wheel   Bunged up wheel Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:30 pm

She be stuffed. Replacement is the only option. It's happening, but will take longer than you had hoped for. Don't ride it...
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

Bunged up wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bunged up wheel   Bunged up wheel Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:50 pm

Ouch!
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

Bunged up wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bunged up wheel   Bunged up wheel Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2019 10:23 am

Bike is parked and the dealer is ordering a new rim. It would be hard not to think about that missing piece when going 80MPH on the freeway!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bunged up wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bunged up wheel   Bunged up wheel Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Bunged up wheel
Page 1 of 1