GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal Empty
PostSubject: Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal   Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:24 pm

I stuck a cell phone boroscope into my tank to see if I had a plastic fuel filter. It looks to be all-metal. When I moved the bike I discovered that the right side fork seal was leaking. I am going to try a seal saver (tm) from the local Harley store as all the bike shops are slammed with work during riding season.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal   Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:53 pm

I ended up making my own "seal saver" out of scrap plastic. The fancy Ohlins fork oil I used has been sitting on my shelf since before Christmas. Forks are back together and not leaking after a short ride. Longer ride tomorrow. Ride quality remains good, especially compared to my 1975 Eldorado that I was back-roading this week.

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal   Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:46 pm

Continuing my thread of responding to my own posts I put in 100 miles of bumpy back roads and fast farmland sweepers. The expensive oil seems to suit the front forks as handling and compliance were beyond reproach and no sign of oil passing the seals. All the standard GRiSO bugaboos are dealt with and months of Summer riding stretch ahead. Next stop is the ADK rally on 7/12.  Pictured is the GRiSO at rest under the Walkway Over the Hudson, a rail bridge converted to biking/walking path.

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal   Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Well done! Always worth a try before replacing the seal. GRiSO is looking good!
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal   Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:12 am

I think pumping the forks to help remove the old oil also helped to get a good seal again. Washed and detailed the bike in preparation for next weekend's rally. Marked all the bolts so I can check them visually for loosening en route.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal   Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Good News: Fuel filter, Bad News: Fork seal
Page 1 of 1