GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Front wheel bearings question

Go down 
+4
Pete Roper
MalG
beetle
Red Leader
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

Front wheel bearings question Empty
PostSubject: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:10 am

Hi Folks,

I've got some lateral play on the front wheel & it's making a grinding sound so I need to change the bearings.

I have a few questions & would appreciate some advice.

1. Can I drive the bearings out or do I need to pull them?
Either way I need to buy the tool but don't know which one to buy as it looks like you can get ones that drive the bearing out by whacking it from the other side & also one's that pull the bearing out.

2. For UK riders:
Where did you buy your bearings & seals from?
Gutsibits sell them but I couldn't find them on Fowler's website.
Where did you buy decent bearings that you would recommend?

3. For anyone who has replaced the front wheel bearings:
Did you need to heat up the wheel with a blowtorch or was it enough just sticking the new bearings into the freezer to make them fit?

I can't get the bearings or seals today so it's off down the garage to prep my old Triumph for getting to work next week! Could do without it this weekend but that's life!

So, I'm preparing myself re: buying new bearings, new seals, the correct tool to remove the old bearings & possibly a blowtorch?!

Have I missed anything? Might change the pads whist I'm at it as that's easy!!!

Thanks in advance!
I love my GRiSO....
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:18 am

I forgot to mention that I know what bearings & seals to order as Pete posted previously:

"Bearing is 25/47/12 and a 2RS obviously. The outboard seal is 30/47/7"

So I'll need 2 each of the above.

What does the 2RS bit mean?
Cheers.....
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:02 am

2RS = rubber seal on each side.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:51 am

Cheers Mark!!!
You're a good'un!
Rich
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Don't know if the GRiSO is different, but in common with a slew of other Guzzis, the V7s use SKF 6004 bearings on the front. Cheap from the bearing shop, $23 AUD with seals. Once the wheel is off, I use a drift from the opposite side to gently tap out the old bearings (the drift can catch the lip of the bearing), and use an appropriate size socket to tap the new ones in. Worked that way fine twice now & no problems. No need for heating or freezing.
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Cheers Mal,
Hopefully the 1100 wheels will be the same & I can do what you did as I can get a drift set locally, on  Monday.
I sorted my other bike today so can spend a bit of time getting the GRiSO's wheel off & seeing what's what.  Fingers crossed!
No heating (thank heavens!) or freezing either... nice!
Thanks for your help with this!
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:57 pm

Drifts? At home I've a piece of brass round bar, about 20mm & a foot or so long. Probably picked up at a bearing shop, cut to length. On the road, I carry with my tools an aluminium bar, approx 8 in long & 12mm round. Comes in handy for all sorts. I didn't know they came in sets, thought everybody used off cuts.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:02 pm

MalG wrote:
Don't know if the GRiSO is different, but in common with a slew of other Guzzis, the V7s use SKF 6004 bearings on the front. Cheap from the bearing shop, $23 AUD with seals. Once the wheel is off, I use a drift from the opposite side to gently tap out the old bearings (the drift can catch the lip of the bearing), and use an appropriate size socket to tap the new ones in. Worked that way fine twice now & no problems. No need for heating or freezing.

Yeah, GRiSO and other CARC bikes are different. Nothing special about the bearings though, just go to your local bearing factor and take one of the old ones and a seal in as well.

Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:30 am

That's a good idea, Mal; I might even have something similar down in the garage.
I'm going to get at that wheel in a minute & have a proper look.

Cheers for the info' on the wheels & the bearing procurement tip, Pete.
I'll have a browse for a local bearing supplier- I live in farming country so there must be one near to me.
Will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers again.... mug of tea & roll- up all sorted- I'm ready!!!
Rich
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:54 am

Drift: any thing within reach small enough to fit in the hole you need to smack something out of. Or into.

Known drifts:

pipe offcut
Screwdriver
Socket
Socket extension
Metal offcut (any shape)
Breaker bar
Large bolt
Small bolt
Broom handle
Curtain rod
Knitting needle

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:46 am

Hi Folks,
The wheel came off no problem.

Shortly, I shall write up a "How I did it" & stick it as a separate topic for any 1000 riders out there.

Popped the seals out no problem....LOADS of dirt & such behind them; British winters, no doubt!
From looking it seems like the bearings will have to be pulled so I need to get a puller. Doesn't look like I can get a drift in to whack from the other side & I think it's best I don't try to do it in case I damage things.

One thing I noticed when I slid the axel off is that there's a type of grease on it which is red.
Any idea what it is?
I have general purpose grease, moly grease, copper grease....but not the red stuff.
Can anyone chip in with the answer? Just curious.

Cheers..
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:02 am

It’s just water proof grease, can come in red or blue etc.
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:30 am

Thanks, GC!
I'll get some tomorrow
Cheers...
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Also known as "trailer grease" especially for those with boats on trailers.
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Thanks. There's a chandlery near to me & they'll have some so that'll save me a trip into town.
Nice!
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:50 pm

I've never had to do the wheel bearings on my GRiSO, but done plenty of them on Cali 1100s and CARC models.

The problem I found when trying to use a drift to knock them out, there exists a spacer between the bearings that the axle slides through.  This spacer doesn't allow access to the inside of the bearing.

The solution is to buy a expanding stopper or pipe bung from a plumbing supply merchant.  Insert this into the hole in the bearing and wind it up tight.  This provides something for you to hit, and hopefully the bearing can be knocked out.
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:14 am

Cheers, Dave.
That's a very handy tip; I'll do a bit of interwebbing.
Yeah, you're correct. My wheel's got what I think is a long spacer between the bearings.
As it goes I have ordered a bearing puller on the internet so it should be with me Weds all being well.
Cheers for that tip though. Hopefully I'll get the bearings & seals this afternoon.

On my old Triumph today so all is well in my biking world right now; thankfully I didn't have to use the car to get to work as that's a real pain!
All the best
Rich
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Yep, that's what I now use too, a split collet expanding bearing puller, made by Toledo.

I'd still rather bash it out from the other side than use the sliding hammer.
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Dave,
Just webbed up the Toledo puller.
The one I ordered earlier was £39 so £20 cheaper but no doubt, £20 worse or even more so than the Toledo!
It's coming tomorrow so I should get my wheel back on tomorrow evening.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:31 am

There's very little lip to catch on, I borrowed a blind bearing puller, it wouldn't even budge.
It took significant heat to move it but of course once I got one out a brass drift was all I required for the other side.
Get some decent bearings, I bought a kit that had Chinese bearings, one froze and ended up destroying the axel.
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Cheers Roy!

How did you heat the wheel?

Like you, it's been a struggle for me:

The puller arrived today; one of those side hammer jobs.
Fitted the extractor part & yes, there's not much to get hold of.
Gave it plenty of goes to try & remove & nothing!!! It's not going anywhere.

Have left it with some WD40 soaking in the recess which might help?! We'll see.

I've got one of those electric oil heater/ radiator things so I might get the wheel on that for a bit. ..it gets fairly hot

Bit worried about blow torching...
I've never used one but I'm happy to get one if it's the only way; that lovely paint on my wheels!

...and it was going so well...

Rich
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:19 am

I went over to a mate with an oxy acetylene setup, he is also a competent fitter.
We took off one of the brake disks and just played the torch around until the paint was starting to blister.

I have changed many wheel bearings but never had that much trouble.
You might want to read Kiwi Dave's posts again. his method sounds interesting.
I have heard of using a Rawbolt (concrete anchor as well)
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:02 am

Cheers, Roy!

My wheels have done a lot of winter mileage over the years so I'm assuming they're a bit rusted in.
I've left it all night with that WD40 soaking down (hopefully) so when I get home this evening things'll be a bit freed up (at least on one of them!).
I'll try leaving the wheel on the oil heater for a bit to see if that helps; I'd rather not blister up the wheel.

One thing: I've left my discs on the wheel... hope that's not a bad thing?!

Rich
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:38 am

You can all breathe again, folks

Got home & have removed one of the bearings.....sweet!
Didn't heat the wheel up so the "WD40 it & leave overnight" treatment works!

Now waiting to do the other.
It's all good & I'm chipper again; that tool I bought works!
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 am

Hi Folks,
Got the other bearing out..... it was holding fast.
Genius kicked in & I used my other half's hair-drier to heat the wheel a bit which did the trick so no blistered paint angst.

Amazing amount of rust on the bearings.
New bearings are now in so I'll be back on my GRiSO tomorrow.

My thanks to everyone who chipped in with help & advice; I do appreciate it.
Cheers for now.... off to watch the WC Cricket I recorded today; all 7 hrs! Hardcore!!!!

Rich
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel bearings question   Front wheel bearings question Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Front wheel bearings question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next