GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Something was not quite Right up front. Wheel Bearings

Go down 
+2
Svartipants
GhostBullet
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GhostBullet
Biondino
Biondino
GhostBullet

Something was not quite Right up front.  Wheel Bearings Empty
PostSubject: Something was not quite Right up front. Wheel Bearings   Something was not quite Right up front.  Wheel Bearings Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:00 pm

In the near couple hundred thousand  km, I've changed our the bearings a few times,  a couple times,  just because,  another time cause the world inspector noted wear,  and this time.  
So I made an amature film of my amature job.
But it's fine and the bike remains awesome

Richard, Svartipants, SemperVee1 and Stephen Lindsay like this post

Back to top Go down
Svartipants
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Svartipants

PostSubject: Re: Something was not quite Right up front. Wheel Bearings   Something was not quite Right up front.  Wheel Bearings Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:02 pm

I'm a chump. After watching you tighten those caliper bolts, I thought to myself "nah-ah, you won't catch me NOT using a torque wrench on those", and then promptly stripped a caliper bolt with my torque wrench yesterday (50Nm - wtf?) Went shopping for a helicoil kit today... "this is the way". *sigh*

GhostBullet likes this post

Back to top Go down
GhostBullet
Biondino
Biondino
GhostBullet

PostSubject: Re: Something was not quite Right up front. Wheel Bearings   Something was not quite Right up front.  Wheel Bearings Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:23 pm

Svartipants wrote:
I'm a chump. After watching you tighten those caliper bolts, I thought to myself "nah-ah, you won't catch me NOT using a torque wrench on those", and then promptly stripped a caliper bolt with my torque wrench yesterday (50Nm - wtf?) Went shopping for a helicoil kit today... "this is the way". *sigh*

Oh no... bugger, funny, I bought a torque wrench for the work on the timing chain stuff. But I don't use on much else. The calipers just until they "Feel right"
I did use one on the rotor bolts on the front wheel last week when I fitted some to a second front wheel.

Hope the coil goes in alright.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Something was not quite Right up front. Wheel Bearings   Something was not quite Right up front.  Wheel Bearings Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:22 am

Oh my, how timely. I took the wheels of GRiSO yesterday and spooned on some new rubber. While taking off the front, I was asking myself, "Self, what are the torque specs for those bolts?"

So, I guess I'll tighten everything up the olde farmer way, except the 4 rear bolts. I'll use that fancy clicky wrench on them.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Something was not quite Right up front. Wheel Bearings   Something was not quite Right up front.  Wheel Bearings Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:20 pm

Use a torque wrench. Your life may depend on it.

Torque specs are in the service manual. Obey.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Something was not quite Right up front. Wheel Bearings   Something was not quite Right up front.  Wheel Bearings Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:09 am

Svartipants wrote:

It will have only stripped because some previous shaved-ape did not stop at 50Nm and gave it a little bit extra.

I'm with Mark - not hard to use a torque wrench and they are cheaper than castings.

If you want to stay primitive in the spirit of some MG engineering - use an old fashioned bending beam torque wrench -
You can re-calibrate them in 10 seconds (but you may have to lie on the floor to read the scale lol)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Something was not quite Right up front. Wheel Bearings   Something was not quite Right up front.  Wheel Bearings Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:58 am

Torque wrench every time (where possible)....especially on Titanium bicycle with carbon seat post & handlebars....it's hard to 'judge' 5nm accurately

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something was not quite Right up front. Wheel Bearings   Something was not quite Right up front.  Wheel Bearings Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Something was not quite Right up front. Wheel Bearings
Page 1 of 1