12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Setting up Suspension

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stacka
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Stacka

Setting up Suspension  Empty
PostSubject: Setting up Suspension    Setting up Suspension  Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:52 am

I’ve just purchased a 2011 GRiSO 8v Tenni and want to turn the Suspension.

It has a Wilber’s rear shock and Wilber’s springs in the forks.

I’ve just purchased a C spanner for the rear which should arrive tomorrow but measuring sag by myself isn’t really going to happen as I need another person, not sure where to jacks the rear wheel up from and I don’t have a front wheel holder. So I I’m going to have to experiment with a trial a trial and error approach.

According to the previous owner the rear shock was set up for his weight (same as my weight at 85kg) although the compression damping screw was fully closed so I adjusted it open 1 ½ turns as per the service manual specs. I also adjusted the rebound screw from 20 turns to 17 from the manual specs.

Regards the front the rebound damping setting was set at 2 ¾ turns so again re the factory setting I returned it to 1.5 turns whilst the compression damping was set at 1 ¾ turns which I changed to 1.5 turns to factory settings.

The suspension /Ride is now not nearly as bumpy as it was so I’ll take that as a win but I was hoping to find someone on this forum who also had Wilber’s Suspension and a similar weight (85kg) to me to find out what they found as the ideal settings.

I realise I’m asking a lot but no harm in asking. Otherwise, has anyone got any tips on how to progressively adjust the preloads and the rebound/compression settings in a systematic way.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Stacka
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
ghezzi

PostSubject: Re: Setting up Suspension    Setting up Suspension  Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:42 am

Are you using the GRiSO manual or a Wilbers manual? The GRiSO (with Sachs shock) manual will have no relevance to the Wilbers shock.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Stacka
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Stacka

PostSubject: Re: Setting up Suspension    Setting up Suspension  Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 am

I don’t have the Wilbur’s manual so using the Oem manual atm.

I simply used the oem settings to see if there was any noticeable difference. At least I found the one setting closed which I doubt was from the Wilbur’s manual. Of course this brings to question to question whether the settings I purchased the bike with were Wilbur’s or not.

Looks like I’ll be doing the trial and error thing anyway so it makes little difference really.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
ghezzi

PostSubject: Re: Setting up Suspension    Setting up Suspension  Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:48 am

What suburb of Brisbane do you reside in? I'm in Coopers Plains.
Scott Heyes @ Edge Performance in Sandgate I thoroughly recommend.
Steve Wood @ Suspension Improvements in Slacks Creek is also good.

Otherwise there is dodgy bros inc at my home address, where you get free coffee and advice.
No Guzzi's have ever been hurt or tormented while we tested such things as plastic wheels on them.

My # be 0400 816 double 8 five
Back to top Go down
Stacka
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Stacka

PostSubject: Re: Setting up Suspension    Setting up Suspension  Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:26 am

I’ll text you Ghezzi 👍
Back to top Go down
Stacka
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Stacka

PostSubject: Re: Setting up Suspension    Setting up Suspension  Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:20 am

Update on setting up my suspension:

Well those on here who have had suspension adjustment issues asking for some advice etc would probably know we have a member who uses the username Ghezzi and he's really smart when it comes to adjusting Sag etc for individual riders like me. I'm really lucky too as he happens to live in the same town as me in Australia called Brisbane.

Well he invited to ride over and we ended up spending a couple of hours measuring the the various sag distances whilst he took down the measurements etc.

He also had a bike lift which I don't have so a big win there and long story short, the difference in how my GRiSO with the Wilburs Springs in the forks and a Rear Wilburs shock is absolutely brilliant.

Tbh I was lost trying to keep up as we adjusted the preloads, rebound and compression of the forks and because there's only a rebound in my rear shock, that too.

Anyway, before Ghezzi got stuck into measuring and adjusting the bike's suspension, it was simply all wrong with it way to harsh and not soaking up the road bumps much at all. Fast forward to post suspension adjustments and now the suspension is soaking up the bumps in the road like I can't believe. In fact before the adjustments I was thinking "oh well, it is a sports bike and I should just get used to it". Now I don't even think about the suspension bumps as mostly I'm not feeling them.

What's even better is we haven't even started the tweaking process yet but tbh I don't want to touch what's there atm. I will but for now I'm just happy with how they are performing now.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention what the go is currently and to give a big thumbs up to Ghezzi. Mate, your a wizard.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Setting up Suspension    Setting up Suspension  Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:39 am

Good job.

cheers

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
ghezzi

PostSubject: Re: Setting up Suspension    Setting up Suspension  Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:50 am

Twas a great day, I got to play with a very nice Tenni. Jez gettin er in the ballpark.
We would have done more except work kept interrupting us, we will be back.
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

PostSubject: Re: Setting up Suspension    Setting up Suspension  Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Ok so how do I do that without flying to Oz with the bike in the hold? By myself?
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
ghezzi

PostSubject: Re: Setting up Suspension    Setting up Suspension  Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi Rusty, Stacka's bike was fitted with a basic Wilbers kit by a previous owner.
Shock comes with rebound and pre-load adjustment only, and a set of fork springs and 2 bottles of oil.
Spring rates and viscosity are unknown to us, supposedly for 85kg rider.

Well Stacka is that weight, but maybe previous owner overstated his ability, it was set up hard.

Seek out a suspension guru in your locale, $50 should cover their time to set your stock suspension up.
Back to top Go down

Setting up Suspension
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: