GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Airbag vest, recommendations?

Go down 
+9
markymark
McCarthy1983
FrontRangeRider
anguscameron1966
Street
Bill Hagan
Richard
Pete Roper
Triman023
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

Airbag vest, recommendations? Empty
PostSubject: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:05 pm

I had a nasty tip over in my driveway about two weeks ago. Nursing 5 cracked ribs and some other stuff.

Being 70 years old I am seriously considering an airbag vest. It looks like it could save me a lot of healing time.

Anyone using one here?

Thanks for any info

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Paging Bill Hagan to the courtesy phone!

I know Bill and Kathi use them.
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:35 pm

There are two types of vests. The first airbags were design with a permanent link (wire) from the vest to the motorcycle bar. When the link is broken then the vest inflates. The vest is another layer on top of your regular motorcycle gear.

Then the second generation of airbag has no wire and has a sophisticated fall detector. It is then autonomous. According to the manufacturer the vest can just be wear under your regular motorcycle gear or on top as previously.

Over here the price is approx. 800€ - 1000 €.

Some manufacturers propose to rent the airbag for xx€ per month.

For sure it certainly differs from a country to another
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:51 am

In Erie, Pa., visiting outlaws, then launching in a few minutes for Ohio Guzzi rally in Zanesville, so this will be brief.

As many of you know, with me, "brief" is a blessing.  Wink

Kathi and I both have Helite hi-viz "Turtle" vests.

We feel naked without 'em, tho she looks way better when she feels that way.   queen cheers

Seriously, they are heavy when off, but that's a nonissue when riding.

The tethered ones tend to be less expensive -- by far! Shocked -- than the electronically inflated, both in original cost and resetting.  That said, the Helites and Hitairs aren't cheap to buy, tho resetting is <$30 and you can do itself yourself at roadside with a spare CO2 canister.  I know because I leaped off once without unhooking.  Kinda exciting.  Embarassed

Bottom line: highly recommend.

Bill

P.S.  I am 72, and know that I'll have to hang up my moto-spurs some day.  I also think that I am socially responsible enough to do that maturely when the time comes.  I am nonetheless confident that today is not yet that day, and nothing you posted suggests that you are.
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:22 pm

I think I will wind up buying one of the tethered vests just for the extra protection. I did read an advisory from the vest company, the vest only responds after the first impact. There is no way it can know if you are going to hit something. So for my tip over, the vest would inflate after I hit the ground, or perhaps not at all if I didn't pull the tether. Still, its another layer of protection...
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:18 pm

^^^^^^

I think you underestimate inflation speed, which is near instantaneous.

Moreover, it takes several seconds to deflate, I.e., long enough to last through “Oh, Shix, I’m gonna die!” to stopping the slide.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:32 pm

The Helite Turtle Airbag Vest looks like a good one. I read some of the testimonials on the site, it has saved a lot of riders bacon. The older version is on sale too. As my wife says "at 69 you are riding on borrowed time". I have avoided a serious crash so far but why not have a extra layer of protection?
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:09 pm

I got the Helite turtle vest. It fits over my jacket. The fit is a bit roomy due to the adult LG size being out of stock and having to get the LL size. But I got a discount because I bought the model 1. The gas cartridge is on the right side, its a bit large but is hidden by  a zip on cover. The vest weighs about 2.5 lbs and is very thin. Once I have it on I forget its there. It blocks my perforated jacket so in hot weather its warmer but not so much at speed. The included lanyard needs to attached to the frame towards the front of the seat, very easy to install. I just have to connect it to the vest when I get on the bike. I have forgotten to  detach several times, I feel a tug and then unhook. The release takes 60lbs to fire, so I don't have to worry about accidentally firing the thing.

About the size problem, I called Helite and the tech said they would send me a smaller size but they would send a new version 2 vest. Very helpful and I get a more expensive vest at a discount.

I haven't tested the vest and i hope I don't have to but its nice when going into a turn to have another layer of safety if something goes wrong.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:56 pm

I've been tempted to get one of these since my Yukon crash five years ago, but the price has made me waver. I know, it's a lot less expensive than an ambulance ride and all that, but I'm cheap. Also, in the case of my crash I'm not sure it would have worked as I never came off the bike and might not have even yanked the cord. I had my hands on the grips all the way to the ground in a feeble attempt to control the bike. Coming down with my elbow underneath me is what caused the multiple rib fractures and crushed spleen. I did learn something from the experience though and that is that I should have bailed out. And then the vest might also have done me some good. Still, I love the idea and still might take the plunge at some point. I hope you never have to test it for real, but I'm glad you're giving it a try.

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
anguscameron1966
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
anguscameron1966

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:05 am

The Mrs and I both have these -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tethered vest that fits over existing jacket. I thing a little less conspicuous than most, went for the black as it then just blends into your existing gear.

Never been used in anger.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:30 am

Congrats on purchase ... and kudos to Helite for the swapout for better fit.

Safety trumps sartorial splendor, so the cost of looking like a beached whale is worth it. Wink

Best wishes for miles of smiles with an uninflated vest. cheers

Bill
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:30 am

Just recovering from falling over remedied me that at my age (69) I need to avoid whatever motorcycle related injury that I can. These vests have protected a lot of riders. It was a small price to pay...
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:19 pm

For those of you who are considering but have not purchased an inflatable system, the October '18 issue of Roadrunner magazine has a comparison article for the tethered and electronic vests.  They did not have a recommendation; just a description of the two types and mention of a few options of both types.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:05 pm

Here's a link to that article:

Shazam!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:52 am

Im surprised that no one has mentioned the offering from Dainese. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:24 pm

The vest that does not deploy until after the first impact and the vest that is attached by a cord that is triggered when you detach from the bike don't seem to be ideal solutions to me.  Two scenarios come to mind:

If I lowsided, the cord might not be pulled sufficiently to trigger the vest.

In my highside crash, I only had one impact and that was the one that did all the damage to me.  The vest blowing up after I shattered my arm might have done even more damage.
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Check the Helite site. A number of examples of low/high side crashes that the vest prevented injury.

I considered the Dionese Smart Jacket but its on pre order. It also looks like its made for people that are
less expanded in the waist area than I am. I probably would look like a stuffed sausage...

I set up the tether so it has a limited amount of give, but I don't stand on my pegs. I hope I don't have to test it.
Back to top Go down
markymark
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
markymark

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 am

I just got a Dainese smart jacket (vest). I'm quite happy with it. Looks stylish on its own. Fits comfortably under my existing jacket(s). Don't know how it will work in a crash (and hope to never find out.) But am glad I have the security of it. I didn't want to deal with the tether.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:55 am

I think the airbag vest under the jacket is the way to go.

I've been looking at the Klim version Klim Airbag Vest

The tech has been around for a while in racing and I am glad to see it coming to the road  cheers

A little spendy but less than my medical deductible. Pay now or Pay later.
Back to top Go down
Cantaloop
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Cantaloop

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi there, the british gear brand RST integrated the In&Motion-Airbag-System in Racesuits and Jackets. Very affordable price - and only 600gr. heavier compared to non airbag jackets. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] RST is telling that you do not feel the difference between airbag- and non-aigbag-jackets when riding.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:40 pm

Got one of these for fathers day. They finally figured out since I retired, I no longer have life insurance. Smart jacket air vest.
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:16 pm

One thing about the computerized vests. I have a friend with a Dianese vest that has accelerometers and much computerized stuff. We went on a trip and the battery died. He has to sent it to Italy to be repaired. He also had problems with it failing to get a link.
These are sophisticated items but they don't do well after about 2 years.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:44 pm

They are supposed to fixed that shit on the new ones, will see. They claim 26 hours between charges.
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:12 pm

I happened to be googled onto a FortNine video about which inflatable vest is best, and why:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

How can this FortNine guy be so articulate and convincing and yet still be so entertaining?

By the way, Bill Hagan was right: The best vest is the Helite Turtle. As Mr. Rogers used to say to King Friday, "Right you are again, [Squire Hagan] ... !"

Moto
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airbag vest, recommendations?   Airbag vest, recommendations? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Airbag vest, recommendations?
Page 1 of 1