GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Phone mount recommendations?

Go down 
+8
GuzziLooper
Steak
Guzziboy66
Stubbie
Chris W
paulbrice
Lehctim
motor-timothy
12 posters
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Phone mount recommendations? Empty
PostSubject: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:26 am

Currently looking to upgrade my fossilized Garmin Zumo 660 with my iPhone X for navigation, speedcontrol alerts and music. Any recommendations of a good holder that also has an USB charger? Currently looking at the Quad Lock mount (made in Australia, it must be good! Laughing ) but it seems it's all plastic and quite expensive at that (looking at 135€ for the entire package, which does include a phone cover to be fair).

Also no matter what mount you look at, plenty of 1 star horror reviews of the the unit disintegrating on the highway or vibrations killing the expensive phone affraid

On a second note, I was thinking of replacing the Tomtom connector that lives above the ECU with an SAE connector to connect the usb charger with. Does anyone know if the tomtom wire is protected by one of the bike's fuses or should I insert my own?
Back to top Go down
Lehctim
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Lehctim

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri May 14, 2021 9:09 am

QuadLock just introduce a vibration dampener. I have been using QuadLock for 4 years, and discovered last season that it was the vibration of the bike that killed the camera on 2 phones. I'll be ordering mine soon so I don't have to get my phone repaired again.

OzarkGriso likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri May 14, 2021 9:40 am

Just replaced my 'cheap-as-chips' iPhone holder with a proper solution from Ultimate Add-ons. I went for the lollypop stick on bar clamp & a double USB on the bar (pictures below).

Removed the old iphone USB cable that connected under the seat & fitted USB hub supply into the Fuzeblock after lengthening the USB supply wire & burning my hand forgetting the soldering iron was hanging on the C-bow connector.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last couple of days it's been slow starting on one side, fine after a minute.  Yesterday I pulled plugs & found lot of corrosion on top of plug & inside plug cap metal; sanded & cleaned it all & seemed to have solved it as it ran great....  Off on run today to test new phone holder bike wouldn't run at all on same cylinder...back off with side wing & plug cap needed another push for final click Wink ....now sorted ...just shows how a bit of corrosion screws up firing.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri May 14, 2021 4:19 pm

I bought one from amazon over a year ago it was relatively cheap ($30+)and it works great - it has a wireless charger and a usb port on the side of it
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri May 14, 2021 6:40 pm

I use one of these and plug into the usb port next to it. I do use a rubber band for extra piece of mind though.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sat May 15, 2021 5:22 am

Take a look at SP Connect
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sat May 15, 2021 1:06 pm

I opt for throwing my phone in the tank bag, connected to a power lead.  I get my music, and GPS voice directions when necessary.  The phone stays protected and secure.

I've found that my phone will overheat and shut down occasionally when mounted under direct sunlight.  Nevermind that a stout bump might send it flying...

* Note, it will overheat and shut down all the faster if you place the phone in the "window" pocket on top of your tank bag.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sat May 15, 2021 7:33 pm

if you ride fast enough, the phone will stay cool! Very Happy Very Happy

Guzziboy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sat May 22, 2021 7:21 am

I’m going with this one as I already have quite a number of Ram parts that I have been using for my bikes, trucks, and music/video production projects for years. My iPhone 7 doesn’t charge via wireless, but I’m looking to go to a newer model later this year. For now the standard charge cord should be able to be routed through the slot in the bottom.

Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sat May 22, 2021 7:32 am

Stubbie wrote:
I use one of these and plug into the usb port next to it. I do use a rubber band for extra piece of mind though.

My GRiSO came with one of those and the only complaint that I have with it is that it is too low when trying to use the Scenic routing app. The chin bar of my helmet blocks the view of the screen.

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:39 pm

My only recommendation would be don't use your 'good' Phone at all.
I kept my old phone (from when my last contract expired), and use that for Nav duties.
Used phones can be had for little cost if you don't do the contract thing.

As Steak suggests, you can keep your current good phone in a Tankbag/Pocket for music.
Back to top Go down
OzarkGriso
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
OzarkGriso

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:20 pm

I have the QuadLock with the anti-vibration unit and has been working great on my bikes. I just ordered one for the GRiSO as well.
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:27 pm

Where did you install the Quadlock mount ? I installed mine between the risers but this may be not the best location. I also bought the anti-vibration part (not on the picture) and it is very efficient.

Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:00 am

inside jacket pocket, left hand side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phone mount recommendations?   Phone mount recommendations? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Phone mount recommendations?
Page 1 of 1