GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Rear calliper pistons

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

Rear calliper pistons Empty
PostSubject: Rear calliper pistons   Rear calliper pistons Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:19 pm

Had a new tyre fitted last week, so taken the opportunity to give the calliper a clean. 2 things I noticed. 1, only one piston moves when pressure is applied. When I block this piston, the other one then moves, is this normal. 2 the pistons are not shiny like I have seen on YouTube videos, albeit different brands of brakes. Are the Grisos usually shiny, ie stainless steel or are they made from something else
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Rear calliper pistons   Rear calliper pistons Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:15 pm

Also, the spring. It fell out when I removed the pin, no can’t remember where it goes. The only logical place is it sits on top of the pads (when calliper is in position) at the pin end?
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Rear calliper pistons   Rear calliper pistons Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Don’t like to bump, but can anyone provide assistance?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Rear calliper pistons   Rear calliper pistons Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:23 pm

Sorry, I'll check on a spare today. It should be fairly self evident I think.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Rear calliper pistons   Rear calliper pistons Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:35 pm

It's normal for only one piston to move when there's no resistance. One will have less "stiction", so will move.
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Rear calliper pistons   Rear calliper pistons Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:38 am

I am pretty sure that the pistons are grey and if they are "free" then by holding a finger on one piston will allow the other piston to move and you should be able to push them back with your fingers.

If not they need a clean and rubber grease.

This may apply to GRiSO's - The metal spring plate - if you turn the caliper on its back (so to speak) there is a ridge that it locate onto, you tend to get a lot of road debris clogging this up [so clean before refitting]
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Rear calliper pistons   Rear calliper pistons Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:00 pm

Thank you Pete, Brian and Rick. As always on this forum, got the answers. Here is a photo of the spring position. Hopefully this is right? Only logical place it could go. I assume purpose of to allow the pads to move slightly within the calliper under load. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Rear calliper pistons   Rear calliper pistons Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:37 pm

Hi, just want to check the above rear calliper assembly was correct?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear calliper pistons   Rear calliper pistons Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Rear calliper pistons
Page 1 of 1